• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2 appreciation thread
1 1

67 posts in this topic

Mary Jane finally realizing it was Peter Parker that she loved - but at a point it was too late for Peter to want to love her back. Although he is just protecting her from his enemies.

But then he goes off swinging into action.

:whee:

"The power of the sun in the palm of my hand."

Fusion. :cloud9: It's my favorite technology. It has the greatest potential to take mankind to the next step of civilization...I'm frustrated that we don't devote more resources into making it a reality. :pullhair:

There is an international effort to build a reactor though--ITER, the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor currently being built in France. It may fail, but meh, hopefully it won't and either way we'll get there. (shrug)

https://www.iter.org/

stream_img.jpg

I'm in agreement with all here...SM2 is definitely in my top 5 Marvel live-action movies (thus far)

It's the second-best superhero film ever created. There are so many scenes to point out as being exceptional in that film, but the one that hits me the hardest is the one with Aunt May telling Peter what Spider-Man's disappearance means. It captures everything about humanity that makes me prefer superhero stories.

"The power of the sun in the palm of my hand."

Fusion. :cloud9: It's my favorite technology. It has the greatest potential to take mankind to the next step of civilization...I'm frustrated that we don't devote more resources into making it a reality. :pullhair:

There is an international effort to build a reactor though--ITER, the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor currently being built in France. It may fail, but meh, hopefully it won't and either way we'll get there. (shrug)

https://www.iter.org/

stream_img.jpg

Solar power is starting to get interesting. I remember thinking that it was pretty useless as an engineering student in the early 90s ( I live in Minnesota, so that certainly didn't help ). I remember being a Solar Power class and having my project group go into conniptions when I told the professor that. :)

Today, though, the power/cost graph is starting to look it may follow Moore's Law. If that continues, we may reach a point not terribly long from now where the idea of burning stuff for electricity will seem quaint.

It just goes to show that technology never seems to move in quite the way you would expect.

I'm in agreement with all here...SM2 is definitely in my top 5 Marvel live-action movies (thus far)

It's the second-best superhero film ever created. There are so many scenes to point out as being exceptional in that film, but the one that hits me the hardest is the one with Aunt May telling Peter what Spider-Man's disappearance means. It captures everything about humanity that makes me prefer superhero stories.

I cried during this.

'Hey, where are all my comic books?'

'Oh, those dreadful things? I gave them all away!'

Cried like a baby.

:ohnoez:

But I do agree. Her speech about the value of a hero is just another example of how great Spider-Man 2 is.

(worship)

Solar power is starting to get interesting. I remember thinking that it was pretty useless as an engineering student in the early 90s ( I live in Minnesota, so that certainly didn't help ). I remember being a Solar Power class and having my project group go into conniptions when I told the professor that. :)

Today, though, the power/cost graph is starting to look it may follow Moore's Law.

Where do I see such graphs? I'm where you were in college, it seems uninteresting. I wasn't aware that the cost efficiency has been doubling every 18 months. :o

Spider-Man 2 was my favorite of the first wave of *new* comic book movies (X-Men / year 2000 to present).

I think a few have surpassed it only recently (Avengers, Captain America 2, maybe Guardians).

But Alfred Molina was amazing.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I'd also add the first half of the first Spidey movie to the list. Loved it. Absolutely perfect.

Today, though, the power/cost graph is starting to look it may follow Moore's Law.

Where do I see such graphs? I'm where you were in college, it seems uninteresting. I wasn't aware that the cost efficiency has been doubling every 18 months. :o

I should have said "something like Moore's law". It's may not be doubling every 18 months, but it is starting to look pretty impressive--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_per_watt

Those Russo brothers sure know a thing or two.

The Russos Weigh In On Their Realistic And Grounded Take On SPIDER-MAN

"Raimi's movies are fantastic. Spider-Man One and Two are amazing. Two is one of if not my favorite comic book movie of all time. But he made a very strong choice with those movies from a color palate standpoint to a costume standpoint, execution standpoint, camerawork standpoint to honor the feeling of the comic book."

Stan Lee Reveals His Favorite Comic Book Movie

Through his official Facebook page, Stan Lee told fans that his favorite film so far, “was the first one that was such a hit, the first Spider-Man.”

Directed by Sam Raimi, Spider-Man was released back on May 3, 2002 by Sony Pictures. The film starred Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker with Kirsten Dunst cast as Mary Jane and James Franco as Harry Osborn. Spider-Man was one of Marvel’s first films of the new millennia following Fox’s X-Men in 2000.

Spider-Man was wildly successful in both domestic and foreign markets as the film grossed $821,708,551 worldwide. It was nominated for 2 Academy Awards for Visual Effects and Sound, and even still, Spider-Man ranks in Marvel’s top 5 highest grossing films domestically of all-time.

Stan Lee went on to say, “After that [spider-Man], everything else seemed easy.”

In an interview with The Huffington Post, Stan Lee said that Spider-Man held one of his all-time favorite superhero performances with Tobey Maguire donning the hero’s webbed suit because, “he was such an unexpected big success.”

:applause:

And one of the coolest comic book movie scenes - including Doc Ock's entrance.

I almost turned this movie off, which when I first watched it was not something I ever did. Aunt May was unbearable for me to watch. The above scene was second only in lameness to the Green Goblin Spider-Man roof top discussion. The directing was that in line with B movie fair, which considering the director is understanble but there were just some things completely out of place in this type of film (2 girls obnoxiously screaming as the camera zooms in on their breasts as Doc Ock goes on a rampage). Most of the Doc Ock stuff was good. I thought the 2nd hour of the film was much better.

First Feige, and now Anthony Russo.

Anthony Russo On Spider-Man 2 As Favorite Comic Book Movie And Direction Of Homecoming

Telling ComicBook.com that the he and his brother Joe worked closely with Homecoming director Jon Watts while bringing Spider-Man into Civil War, Anthony Russo has full confidence in Watts' directing abilities. "[Joe and I] love [Jon Watts]," Anthony Russo starts. "We think he's an incredibly talented filmmaker, super bright guy."

"I think the tone and the direction that he's heading in that movie are fantastic," Anthony Russo says. "I think it has the potential to be the best Spider-Man yet, and I know that's saying a lot because perhaps my favorite comic book movie of all time is Raimi's Spider-Man 2."

For fans of the Raimi movies, this could be what you are looking for. And especially with the Digital copies.

Sony Releases Two New Limited Edition "SPIDER-MAN" Blu-Rays

With Spider-Man: Homecoming premiering early next month, it seems Sony feels the need to piggy-back this hype with a re-release of the older films. Limited editions of the Tobey Maguire Trilogy and Andrew Garfield... (Twinology?) will be released on June 13.

DISC 1: Spider-Man
Movie + Special Features
- Gag Reel
- Costume/Makeup Test
- "Spider-Man: The Mythology of the 21st Century" documentary
- Screen Tests
- Director Profile: Sam Raimi

DISC 2: Spider-Man 2
Movie (includes Theatrical Version & Extended "Spider-Man 2.1") + Special Features
- Audio Commentary w/ Filmmakers & Cast
- Ock-umentary: Eight Arms to Hold You
- "Making the Amazing" 12-part documentary
- Blooper Reel
- VFX Breakdowns

DISC 3: Spider-Man 3
Movie + Special Features
- Audio Commentary w/ Filmmakers & Cast
- Snow Patrol Music Video
- Bloopers

DISC 4: Spider-Man 3 Bonus Disc
includes additional Special Features
- Grains of Sand: Building Sandman
- Re-Imagining the Goblin
- Covered in Black: Creating Venom
- On Location in New York & Cleveland
- Inside the Editing Room & The Science of Sound
- 3 Stunt Featurettes

81iLhb23X+L._SX385_.jpg

dtJ7T38.png

I loved both movies when they came out but neither has aged very well.

Each movie follows the same story structure of MJ getting kidnapped and used to lure Spider-Man out by the villain who is in some way involved in Peter Parker's private life, and then the villain discovers his secret identity.

Raimi claims to be a huge fan of the early Spidey issues but uses MJ as the classic damsel in distress Lois Lane role, but MJ has never been written like that. Not trying to throw a bunch of shade on these movies but they are actually really tough to re watch now. Here's hoping the upcoming second reboot is the best Spidey to date.

I still rank Spidey 2 as the second-best superhero film ever made, although Logan is making a strong case for usurping that position that I'm still undecided on until I watch both films again.

I'm still a big fan of Spiderman 1 and 2.

Re-watched Spiderman just last year, and I was surprised how well it held up for me.

Really enjoyed Toby McGuire and Kristen Dunst, thought their awkward chemistry jumped off the screen and you could feel the emotion in Dunst's performance particularly.

I'll admit I agree with most of the criticisms in this thread...  But, I still like these two movies allot.

I also agree with Stan in that part of my nostalgia is that they are what really got the ball moving for the MCU it made the vision and possibilities seem viable for the first time on the big screen.

That said I'm not a fan of the 2.1 cut.  Just seemed unnecessarily long for me.  I usually love directors cuts and the like, but 2.1 just didn't do it for me, thought it was edited properly the first time.

The "I believe there's a hero in all of us" speech that Aunt May gives to Peter in Spidey 2 still perfectly captures the reason most of us still enjoy superheroes well into adulthood.  :applause:

The film also focuses on the core problem with superheroes--why go through all the trouble?  Why risk your life and family for the sake of strangers?  When Otto breaks into that cafe, grabs Mary Jane, and tells her he'll peel the flesh off her bones after he's given up being Spider-Man, I still get an adrenaline rush every time I see that film which deeply, vividly answers the question of "why do it?"  :mad:

Despite some of the hokiness that AC813 is pointing out that I don't disagree with, the film hits hard on all the right points, and Alfred Molina is an absolutely perfect Otto Octavius.  I love it.

Edited by fantastic_four