• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN 1 & 2 appreciation thread
1 1

67 posts in this topic

I like spiderman2 as a stand alone movie.  If you watch it in context with 1 and 3 it feels a little less original, and makes the whole series feel inconsistent.  But they really hit on the tone for #2 and it obviously had the best villain.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:29 PM, revat said:

I like spiderman2 as a stand alone movie.  If you watch it in context with 1 and 3 it feels a little less original, and makes the whole series feel inconsistent.  But they really hit on the tone for #2 and it obviously had the best villain.

I watched Spider-Man (2002) today to see how it stood up compared to Spider-Man: Homecoming that I saw the previous week - which I enjoyed.

For me, Spider-Man (2002) has so much emotion and extensive character development. And having the Uncle Ben scene included to give you a feel for the experience that drives Peter to be a better person focused on others adds to the movie. Willem Dafoe and and Michael Keaton are neck-and-neck for some of the best villain acting. And sure, Dafoe becomes a real creep from the strength enhancer he experiments with leading to his murder of the Oscorp Board when they betray him. But you also feel all the turmoil he is going through wrestling with his Green Goblin persona.

I had forgot how Cliff Robertson as Uncle Ben gave me a feeling like Glenn Ford as Jonathan Kent. Perfect casting of actors you could see positively influencing their young superhero family-member. And that ending when MJ finally admits how much she loves Peter - and he tells her he has nothing to give after all his loss - that just clinches it for me. Peter sacrifices so much to make up for his lapse in judgment leading to Uncle Ben's death.

My Top 3 Spidey's:

- Spider-Man 2 (2004)

- Spider-Man (2002)

- Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man 2 is a much better movie than Spider-Man Homecoming, although Tom Holland played a better Peter Parker than Toby McGuire did.  Spider-Man (2001) isn't that good and 3 is just terrible.  

When Spider Man came out in 2002 I was blown away. It made me feel like the comics that I had grown up with was finally realized on film, and done with perfection.

I thought they couldn't make a better movie. Then Spider Man 2 came out, and I thought it was brilliant.

By far one of my favorite superhero movies of all time. I mean who could deny the awesome train fight scene, and the awesome ending that gave a poetic nod to Amazing Spider Man #33. Just a perfect movie.

The new Spider Man movie gave me nothing to hope for, didn't make me want to root for the good guy. It left me empty.

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

When Spider Man came out in 2002 I was blown away. It made me feel like the comics that I had grown up with was finally realized on film, and done with perfection.

I thought they couldn't make a better movie. Then Spider Man 2 came out, and I thought it was brilliant.

By far one of my favorite superhero movies of all time. I mean who could deny the awesome train fight scene, and the awesome ending that gave a poetic nod to Amazing Spider Man #33. Just a perfect movie.

The new Spider Man movie gave me nothing to hope for, didn't make me want to root for the good guy. It left me empty.

With me, the thing that makes the original two so magical is the expert casting of extras.

Their reactions to Spidey's derring-do's made the whole CG enhanced spectacles work.

My favorites are:

Spider-Man (2002): The scene on the bridge when the Goblin is obstructed from killing Spidey (and MJ,) by a mob of folks with bricks. When one shouted that he was picking on a bunch of kids and finished with "You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!" was the most memorable scene in the whole affair. So much emotion, you don't have to be from NY to get choked up with pride. Spider-Man becomes a symbol to the city of hope, much like the NY jumper did in "14 Hours."

Spider-Man 2 (2004): Yes, the train scene was masterful, with a well cast batch of passengers, who practically all get a line or two. But, it was that scene where he's delivering a pizza by moped and stops a car careening into a crowd with a web. In fact a pretty lass, says "a web," in the most believable way of wonder and relief. Her "Go Spidey, go!" was our collected breaths of the pay-off for the crowd who were miraculously saved.

There's so many more scenes too, the two little boys and the guy in the elevator in part 2, to name at least a couple more.

All you see in the 3rd and the Garfield ones are just reaction shots in crowds (very similar to Ashley Johnson's role in The Avengers, before her 5-second interview.) They needed those talented actors to help sell the scene they were in, with little gestures and dialogue.

21 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Then Spider Man 2 came out, and I thought it was brilliant.

By far one of my favorite superhero movies of all time. I mean who could deny the awesome train fight scene, and the awesome ending that gave a poetic nod to Amazing Spider Man #33.

I figured that scene was an homage to Spidey 33 as well, but clearly the scene from Homecoming was a far closer homage.  So much closer I'm not even sure you can even describe him catching a falling roof a Spidey 33 homage anymore.

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I figured that scene was an homage to Spidey 33 as well, but clearly the scene from Homecoming was a far closer homage.  So much closer I'm not even sure you can even describe him catching a falling roof a Spidey 33 homage anymore.

Yet throughout Spider-Man 2, it felt so much more like a well-constructed and character-rich story throughout. Not to say Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't have entertaining parts throughout.

Raimi’s unproduced Spider-Man 4 film is the stuff of superhero movie legend. Now, 12 years after leaving Spider-Man behind, the director gave a rare shout out to the Spider-Man movie that never was.

Known for cult hits like The Evil Dead, Sam Raimi helped usher in the modern superhero craze with his Spider-Man trilogy starring Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker. Raimi is currently promoting the new crocodile thriller Crawl which he produced. But while speaking with Yahoo the director shared some regrets about the fourth Spider-Man movie he was never able to make.

“I think about it all the time,” Raimi said. “It’s hard not to, because each summer another Spider-Man film comes out! So when you have an unborn one, you can’t help but think what might have been. But I try to focus on what will be, and not look into the past.”

I'm okay with the way things turned out.

As I recall, the thought at the time was Spider-Man 4 would feature John Malkovich as the Vulture and Anne Hathaway as what -- Lady Vulture?

Between how perfectly Keaton ultimately played the character and after the cartoonish misfire of Spider-Man 3, I'm glad they re-booted with Garfield instead.

Don't get me wrong - I *love* Sam Raimi and he deserves incredible credit for getting two amazing Spider-Man films to the screen (esp. after James Cameron couldn't close his god-awful version for years).

But it was time to pass the torch.

I feel the same way about Tim Burton and Batman. His two films were incredible and deserved all of the acclaim and success they achieved. They laid the foundation for screen Batman (and Joker) portrayals to this day.

But I far prefer Nolan's take.

Denofgeeks did an article about Spider-Man 4, and all the concepts associated with it. There were two castings that would have been interesting.

How Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 4 Would Have Panned Out

714450bdcff6138ae6adf03c4438e5d8.jpg?ito

There were lots of ideas on the table at this stage, then, and of these potential villains, it was the Vulture that got the most press attention. In December 2009, it was reported by Movieline that John Malkovich was under consideration for the role of Adrian Toomes, aka the Vulture. Despite his advanced age compared to most super-villains, this flying foe has caused plenty of trouble for Spidey over decades of comic-book history.

spider-man-4-vulture-concept-art.jpg?ito

In the same report, Movieline posited that Anne Hathaway was circling the role of Felicia Hardy, best known to comic book readers as Spidey’s occasional love interest Black Cat. Julia Stiles and Rachel McAdams were apparently considered for the part as well, and the top theory was that this version of Felicia would take on a new super-villain identity – The Vulturess – in the film. Perhaps this was an attempt to ensure that Felicia didn't feel too much like a Catwoman copycat.

"I loved what she was doing with the auditions for Spider-Man 4," Raimi told Vulture (the website, not the fictional villain) on the topic of Anne Hathaway’s Felicia in March 2013, confirming that there had been some truth to Moveline’s report.

spider-man-4-black-cat-concept-art.jpg?i

So, we know at least that Felicia Hardy would have been in the movie. It seems a fair bet that there would have been at least one other villain as well, especially if Raimi had his eye on the Sinister Six joining the fray at some point.

Concept artist Jeffrey Henderson has since shared some of his work on Spider-Man 4, revealing who this other villain might have been: there are several storyboard frames showing Mysterio being handed over to the police by Spidey (see below). We don't know whether he was a brief cameo surprise or a full-on threat throughout the film, but it's clear that ol' goldfish-bowl-head would have shown up at some point.

sm4_bc_2_lr.jpg?itok=a5WrrRzR

spider-man-4-bruce-campbell-mysterio.jpg

At Long Last, You Can Watch Spider-Man's 'Lost' First Teaser Restored in HD

The very first glimpse at what would become one of the most beloved superhero movies of all time is also a very weird one—because for years, it was actually impossible to see it. While in the two decades since Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man first hit theaters it has re-emerged online, it’s suddenly hit the web (sorry not sorry) in a quality unlike anything we’ve had before.

The infamous World Trade Center teaser (a scene which wasn’t meant to be in the film itself) presented our first look at what Raimi was going for with his take on Spider-Man—and using the Twin Towers as a piece of iconic New York imagery in such a way made the hometown link between Spidey and the city immediately and evocatively.

Alas, the teaser was only in theaters for a handful of months; after the tragic terror attacks of 9/11, Sony and countless other studios raced to pull content that featured the now-destroyed towers in the New York skyline. The original teaser, as well as a poster featuring the towers reflecting in Spidey’s lenses, vanished from theaters.

In the years since, the trailer has made its way online for people to get a glimpse at its strange place in cinematic history—but it’s all been in, putting it diplomatically, varying quality. That changed this week, when seemingly out of nowhere, a 4K restoration from the original 35mm film version of the teaser has hit YouTube, giving us the original tease in a quality unseen in 18 years.

So weird to see those towers in any footage. :(

Sam Raimi took Marvel moviegoers for the ultimate spin when Spider-Man swung into theaters 19 years ago on May 3, 2002. After the success of live-action Marvel Comics adaptations Blade and X-Men in the late 1990s and early 2000s, Sony Pictures took the modern comic book blockbuster to the next level when Spider-Man webbed up the third-biggest global box office of 2002 ($821 million) — behind only The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ($936m) and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ($878m) — before spawning a Raimi-directed trilogy with 2004's Spider-Man 2 and 2007's Spider-Man 3.

Spider-Man shattered box office records to become the first film in history to earn more than $100 million in its opening weekend, a feat that took heavy-hitters Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone five days to accomplish in 1999 and 2001, respectively. The film ended its theatrical run as the highest-grossing domestic earner of 2002 ($403m) and was the highest-grossing superhero film of all time worldwide until its own record was passed by Spider-Man 3 five years later.

Inspired by the Marvel comics created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Spider-Man sees mild-mannered high-school student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) become the web-shooting, wall-crawling Spider-Man when he's bitten by a genetically-altered spider. Guilt-ridden over the death of his beloved Uncle Ben (Cliff Robertson), Spider-Man vows to use his amazing abilities to fight crime and thwart the Green Goblin (Willem Dafoe) as he comes to understand "with great power comes great responsibility."

"With Sam Raimi leading the way, I feel like I'm in good hands, and I feel pretty safe about that," Maguire told MTV in a 2001 interview before starting production on Spider-Man. "I've read the comics, and we're going to honor the comics and at the same time make our own movie."

Product Description
The "Spider-Man" trilogy features the three critically- acclaimed "Spider-Man" films directed by Sam Raimi. Follow Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) in these three adventures as he swings into action fighting super-villains Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Sandman and Venom and wins the heart of Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst). 2017 Digibook Synopsis: Swing into action with the groundbreaking original cinematic Spider-Man trilogy from director Sam Raimi. Join Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) as he becomes the iconic web-slinging Spider-Man, battles super-villains Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Sandman and Venom, wins the heart of Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst), and learns that with great power, comes great responsibility.

During a Q&A at the recent Fandemic Tour in Atlanta (via Fandom Spotlite), Bruce Campbell reflected on his time in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. The actor recalled his initial meeting with Tobey Maguire on the set of the original film, with the latter star excitedly introducing himself after learning of Campbell and Raimi's friendship and their having a running joke with Campbell's appearances in the subsequent sequels. See what Campbell shared below:

"I love Tobey Maguire. I showed up in the first one, he goes, 'Oh, you're a friend of Sam's? Hi! How are you?' The second one, he goes, 'Are you back?!' The third one, he walks on set, 'I guess we can't make a Spider-Man without Bruce Campbell!' I'm like, 'You're starting to get the idea, punk!'"

:roflmao: