• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

439 posts in this topic

Timely, thanks for the explanation. I'd still like to know how the Grand Comic Database reached that conclusion. If you look at the four jungle themed covers on Adventure 36 - 39, they all appear to have been drawn by the same artist. However, none of them are signed, which is an anomoly if they are Flessel covers. Every other cover that Flessel did, including his Sandman covers, is signed. In addition, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the style of drawing seems a little bit different from Flessel's style. If anyone else knows anything else about this, I would be interested to hear it.

Timely, thanks for the explanation. I'd still like to know how the Grand Comic Database reached that conclusion. If you look at the four jungle themed covers on Adventure 36 - 39, they all appear to have been drawn by the same artist. However, none of them are signed, which is an anomoly if they are Flessel covers. Every other cover that Flessel did, including his Sandman covers, is signed. In addition, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the style of drawing seems a little bit different from Flessel's style. If anyone else knows anything else about this, I would be interested to hear it.

RHG, are you on the GCD mailing list? You may want to ask there....

I believe it is Flessel. If you look at other covers such as the Adv # 28, 32, 33, along with the 37 you will notice a similar pattern, he likes to outline his figures with a thick line. If you look at Adv # 34 & 35 done by Fred Guardneer you will see thin line work.

Also some signitures do get cut off, case in point: Suspense Comics #4 by L. B. Cole.

West

Just saw this one in one of my old Sotheby's catalogs. (Edgar Church copy.) This is the coolest Flessel cover I've seen yet!

That cover is amazing, and my favorite by Flessel. Fu Manchu in his alchemy lab. cloud9.gif Here is a link to a cover recreation owned by Jon Berk...I was admiring it the other day.

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp...at=0&UCat=0

Jon, great to have you back. I'm sure that you've got a lot more Flessel beauties that can be posted in this thread (the New Adventure 16, by the way, is a Joe Shuster cover).

FFB, I concur with your assessment of the cover of Detective 18. It is a stunner. That book is near impossible to find in decent, unrestored condition.

Since the Detective covers seem to be the crowd favorites, here's another one that's not seen too often. Detective 14 (Church copy):

757239-detective14%28mh%29%282%29.jpg

757239-detective14(mh)(2).jpg.53935bc2108cc112b721c0e529393285.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

I'll ditto that, it's not often these early Detectives get displayed!

Just when I start thinking people are crazy for paying guide multiples on a pedigree I see the colors on a Church copy, and eat my words. Unreal.

Jon, great to have you back. I'm sure that you've got a lot more Flessel beauties that can be posted in this thread (the New Adventure 16, by the way, is a Joe Shuster cover).

FFB, I concur with your assessment of the cover of Detective 18. It is a stunner. That book is near impossible to find in decent, unrestored condition.

Since the Detective covers seem to be the crowd favorites, here's another one that's not seen too often. Detective 14 (Church copy):

757239-detective14%28mh%29%282%29.jpg

Awesome book!!!! Thanks for scanning and sharing.

With the pale orange lighting, it has an unusual color scheme compared to most of it's counterparts in the run.

As nice as the scan looks, it ain't nothing compared to the real thing. The very first Mile Highs I ever laid eyes upon were Nick Carter's pre-hero Detectives at SD Con. He was kind enough to indulge a fan boy and actually get one down from the wall to show me. In that one moment, I completely understood the concepts of "pedigree" and "multiples of guide".

Actually it is a common misconception. This is Flessel aping Shuster. Got it straight from the horse's (Flessel's) mouth.....

Actually it is a common misconception. This is Flessel aping Shuster. Got it straight from the horse's (Flessel's) mouth.....

Excellent! A good example of why it is difficult to identify the artist for certain, just based on an image in front of you.

Do you know/think if Flessel did the cover for Adventure 37?

Edited by adamstrange

I'm afraid I don't have any Flessel books to contribute to the thread, but I'm sure enjoying the copies everyone has been posting.

THANKS! thumbsup2.gif