• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tribute To Creig Flessel
4 4

439 posts in this topic

Jon, great to have you back. I'm sure that you've got a lot more Flessel beauties that can be posted in this thread (the New Adventure 16, by the way, is a Joe Shuster cover).

Actually it is a common misconception. This is Flessel aping Shuster. Got it straight from the horse's (Flessel's) mouth.....

Jon,

Did you ever ask Flessel about Detective Comics #18? I know you own the recreation of the cover by Flessel, but GCD has O'Mealia listed as the artist for some reason. I know this seems like a silly question when you've got the Flessel recreation, but can you confirm that Detective Comics #18 is in fact a Flessel cover?

Jon,

Did you ever ask Flessel about Detective Comics #18? I know you own the recreation of the cover by Flessel, but GCD has O'Mealia listed as the artist for some reason. I know this seems like a silly question when you've got the Flessel recreation, but can you confirm that Detective Comics #18 is in fact a Flessel cover?

Scott, I am fairly certain that Detective #18 is, in fact, O'Mealia.The character is from one of O'Mealia's strips, the detailed art is definitely O'Mealia's style, and O'Mealia did several of the subsequent pre-hero Tec covers. But then again, maybe we will find out from Jon that this was Flessel aping O'Mealia.

RHG

Edited by RareHighGrade

Jon,

Scott, I am fairly certain that Detective #18 is, in fact, O'Mealia.The character is from one of O'Mealia's strips, the detailed art is definitely O'Mealia's style, and O'Mealia did several of the subsequent pre-hero Tec covers. But then again, maybe we will find out from Jon that this was Flessel aping O'Mealia.

RHG

It was one of the first covers that I had commissioned. I was out in San Diego for the convention. I have rarely commissioned anyone do someone else's cover. I believe - this goes back over 12 years- going thru covers he did and choosing this one....He did one for Charlie Roberts but put on mine "that he liked this rendition better". I have to agree that the style looks different and it is "not signed". Flessel lives on Long Island----maybe someone can ask.....jon

I do have the 'tec 13 and Adventure 40 which are definitely his...

Jon,

RHG

It was one of the first covers that I had commissioned. I was out in San Diego for the convention. I have rarely commissioned anyone do someone else's cover. I believe - this goes back over 12 years- going thru covers he did and choosing this one....He did one for Charlie Roberts but put on mine "that he liked this rendition better". I have to agree that the style looks different and it is "not signed". Flessel lives on Long Island----maybe someone can ask.....jon

He apparently lives in Mill Valley, CA now. Thanks Jon. Maybe I'll just call him.

Jon,

RHG

He apparently lives in Mill Valley, CA now. Thanks Jon. Maybe I'll just call him.

Flessel is extremely nice man....and quite funny.....i would not hesitate to call him, if you want.....jon

Maybe you should start up a John Richard Flanagan appreciation thread and put it there. poke2.gif

Again, this one is contested, but since the label says Flessel, I'll throw it in here:

Adventure375.jpg

I'm willing to bet that Adventure Comics #s 36, 37, 38, and 39 are all J.R. Flanagan covers.

I also concluded that these four covers were done by someone who was not Flessel. Way back on 3-19-05, I raised this issue in this thread in response to the GCD's assertion that they were Flessel covers:

Timely, thanks for the explanation. I'd still like to know how the Grand Comic Database reached that conclusion. If you look at the four jungle themed covers on Adventure 36 - 39, they all appear to have been drawn by the same artist. However, none of them are signed, which is an anomoly if they are Flessel covers. Every other cover that Flessel did, including his Sandman covers, is signed. In addition, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the style of drawing seems a little bit different from Flessel's style. If anyone else knows anything else about this, I would be interested to hear it.

I also concluded that these four covers were done by someone who was not Flessel. Way back on 3-19-05, I raised this issue in this thread in response to the GCD's assertion that they were Flessel covers:

Good call, RHG - I would completely agree with your assessment.

STEVE