• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annoyed that people steal serial #s

8 posts in this topic

I find it annoying that people take serial #s and try to claim it on their registry. This has been happening a lot with saga set. I usually decline the transfer when I get notified, but there was one request that I totally missed.

Now the book is off my registry and it is under another person's set. I still have the book in hand.

sent a request to CGC to fix it. No response.

Why do people try to claim a book that they do not own? I will never understand this. :boo:

That's really unfortunate. Has it been straightened out yet?

Eventually when I get my graded books properly scanned, I plan on blacking out that info for this very reason when posting them online. That's a real shame that happened to you. You know how it goes, always some people out there who want credit or fame (no matter how small) but don't want to do the work to get it.

Hope this works out for you.

As a risk manager by trade, I noticed how few people blank the CGC number out when presenting images of their comics (on here, on eBay and no doubt elsewhere). The view I have always taken is that "if it can happen, it will happen" - as jreezy describes here. As a relatively-new comic collector, and an even newer user of the Registry, I'm not planning to add any images from my collection to public forums. I wonder if CGC might put the serial number on the back (only), so that those proud of their collection, or seeking to sell it, might feel safer showing images of the fronts? Just a thought.

Sorry guys, don't get it. The ONLY use for the number is the Registry, and if someone uses your number it is a simple matter to fix it. I just thought the people that blacked out their registry numbers were either up to something, or were the same people that try to hide their license plate number on pics of their cars or motorcycles they post online. In other words, people who think someone is out to get them all the time.