• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PUNISHER on Netflix
4 4

420 posts in this topic

We all had a knowledge that this announcement was eventually coming... ( however hoped for 1 more go around.) :frown:

Now let’s hope that that this series gets picked up, and keeps going elsewhere. Or even better yet Jon Bernthal gets to use his talents to appear as The Punisher on the Big Screen. 🤞

With every closed door, a new one opens. 

Edited by nepatkm

THE RAID Writer Pitched A PUNISHER Movie To Marvel Studios Featuring Nick Fury And Eminem

173496.jpg

The Raid writer Adam G. Simon has now revealed that he pitched a movie starring the vigilante to Marvel Studios which would have pitted Frank against Nick Fury set to an Eminem soundtrack.

His take would have picked up with a Punisher "completely aware of the threat superheroes and villains pose to mankind." As a result, "Frank has to go gunning for the person who he feels is responsible for the innumerable civilian casualties, the one who started it all by organizing these weapons of mass destruction to come together. Nick Fury."

"The twist is that Frank is being used, he spots the double-cross early at the end of act one," Simon continues. "From that point on, we have a 3:10 to Yuma situation. Frank and Fury on the run from everyone, heroes and villains. It’s 3:10 to Yuma meets Leon by way of The Winter Soldier."

The writer wanted Eminem to provide the soundtrack, while he also imagined Bernthal returning as Frank Castle, and a supporting cast which would have included Joel Edgerton as Bullseye and Edie Falco as Ma Gnucci. The Falcon, Black Widow, and Bucky would all also make cameo appearances.

:wishluck:

I'd rather they did both.

Jessica Jones Season #1 was superb. You just had to get into the plot and understand it wasn't about smacking people upside the head.

Considering the money that was spent on Dark Phoenix, imagine what that cash could do with 2 new series of The Punisher and Jessica Jones!

In 2004, Thomas Jane brought Marvel Comics' antihero vigilante Frank Castle to the big screen in The Punisher. Though the film wasn't well-received, most thought that Jane's performance as Castle was a highlight. When he isn't acting, Jane is also a comics writer and founded the publisher Raw Studios. It isn't too surprising then that Jane maintains strong feelings about his comic book character role. He even reprised the role in an unofficial short film he co-created titled Dirty Laundry in 2012. ComicBook.com spoke to Jane about making his television directing debut in the fifth season of The Expanse. With all of the recent news about past Spider-Man and Batman actors returning to their roles, we had to wonder if Jane might be willing to get back into character as Frank Castle again, should the opportunity arise. Not only would he be game, but he'd also like to try his hand directing a Punisher project starring Jon Bernthal, who played the same character in Netflix's The Punisher series.

"That would be a fan thing," Jane says of reprising the role. "If the fans really wanted me back, and we could find a -script. See, I think the Punisher, and the reason why I did the short, was that it hasn't fully been cracked in a way that fully honors the character, Frank Castle, in a film. And I love what Bernthal did on Netflix. I think he's such a great Punisher. In fact, I would love to direct a Punisher starring Bernthal, because he's such a great actor.

"Now, if the fans wanted me to come back and play Frank, and the -script was something, and when we found a director and a -script where we really felt that we could put a stamp on this character, there is so much to that Frank Castle and the Punisher, and his world," he continues. "We couldn't make a dark film when we did Punisher in 2004. We couldn't go as dark because people just hadn't trusted, on the production side, that fans would be into that. But, now we've got shows like The Boys and, of course, The Dark Knight came out after The Punisher, where I think that producers and studios are now aware that there's a real audience for the darkness, the Taxi Driver-esque quality that you could pull out of a Frank Castle, and that hasn't been done. And I would love to do that. But again, we have to take it to a place where, frankly, The Punisher has always wanted to go."

THR: Marvel has now opened up the multiverse. So any extension of Marvel can now link up with the MCU, whether that’s the Netflix shows or Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man movies. Do you think your version of Frank Castle would work in the PG-13, action-comedy context of the MCU?

JB: That character, in particular, has real, real, real deep, deep meaning for me and resonance in me. He’s really in my heart, man. He’s really in my bones. I’m enormously protective of that character. I’ve said before that there’s nothing in this world more important to me than my wife and my kids, and only until you understand that kind of love and what it really means to willingly die for somebody, [do you understand] what it would be like if somebody took them from you. That’s a road and a darkness and a rage that really, really scares me and brings me to places that I’ve worked the last 20 years to get away from. So I was really grateful, respectful and weary of the places where that role took me and the world in which I had to live in. That being said, that’s where that character needs to be. It needs to be a level of darkness. I think if there’s any let up on that character, you do a disservice to the character, to every iteration of the character, to every comic book that’s come before, and to all of the unbelievable fans of the character. This character means so much to people in the military. So like I said before, it’s not about whether you do the character; it’s about whether you can do it right, and I’m only interested in doing it right.

I visited a yard sale yesterday where I picked up a few books and had an interesting conversation with the collector.  He had a mid-grade ASM #129 (it was raw, he thought about 5.5 if slabbed) and is willing to sell it, but not give it away to some low-ball offer (I did not make an offer) and would list on the Bay if the right offer did not show up locally.  He did say he was debating with himself about keeping the book and expressed concern about the violence of the character and whether current societal strictures might impact the book's value going forward - e.g. whether it could ever be brought to the big screen.  I pointed out that the book became valuable long before there was an established MCU, and that the character was still quite popular.

It's sure not hard to imagine a big screen Daredevil/Defenders series including The Punisher, although it may be the plan to keep these as DIS+ characters.  

On 7/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I visited a yard sale yesterday where I picked up a few books and had an interesting conversation with the collector.  He had a mid-grade ASM #129 He did say he was debating with himself about keeping the book and expressed concern about the violence of the character and whether current societal strictures might impact the book's value going forward - e.g. whether it could ever be brought to the big screen. 

this just shows the limitations of his imagination. the new disney series or movie could be about a character who exacts revenge on those who are deemed transphobic, body shamers, and those who fail to use correct pronouns. his method of punishment is simply getting them banned from twitter. maybe they change his name to The Canceller. i think this could be quite popular with the kids!

On 7/4/2022 at 1:32 PM, alexgross.com said:

this just shows the limitations of his imagination. the new disney series or movie could be about a character who exacts revenge on those who are deemed transphobic, body shamers, and those who fail to use correct pronouns. his method of punishment is simply getting them banned from twitter. maybe they change his name to The Canceller. i think this could be quite popular with the kids!

Well, this was in a part of our town where that might be the only viewpoint allowed, so yeah.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:11 AM, alexgross.com said:

lets hope it's better written than the netflix one was. i liked him in the dd series but found his own series unwatchably st*pid.

I gave up halfway through the first episode  

On 7/29/2022 at 1:11 AM, alexgross.com said:

lets hope it's better written than the netflix one was. i liked him in the dd series but found his own series unwatchably st*pid.

Tough crowd.

Thought it was exactly as it said on the label - 'turn your brain off, and enjoy the mayhem' - and it delivered.

Those seeking some kind of enlightenment in a Punisher show will be waiting a long time.

He kills people. Full stop.

Bernthal was excellent.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:21 PM, Beige said:

Tough crowd.

Thought it was exactly as it said on the label - 'turn your brain off, and enjoy the mayhem' - and it delivered.

Those seeking some kind of enlightenment in a Punisher show will be waiting a long time.

He kills people. Full stop.

Bernthal was excellent.

That fight scene in the prison with Kingpin was bloody excellent. As was when he is fighting his way through the prison.

I need to go back and watch this show. It was so good.