• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Y THE LAST MAN on FX (TBD)
2 2

113 posts in this topic

FX Gives Update On Y The Last Man TV Series

After years spent in development hell, Y The Last Man finally ended up at FX last year for a TV series.

Series creator Brian K. Vaughan, who has worked in TV before on shows like Lost and Under the Dome, is expected to executive produce, and work with an as-yet-unannounced partner on the show.

“There’s a kind of a scrum of interest in that," FX CEO John Landgraf told IGN. "We’ve had a number of producers and writers who really want to participate in that.”

“Ultimately, it’s Brian’s call who he wants to work with and I think that’ll come out soon,” Landgraf added.

FX's Y: THE LAST MAN TV Series Continues To Build Momentum

Y_The_Last_Man.jpg

Michael Green will serve as showrunner on FX's Y: The Last Man adaptation and will write the -script for the pilot alongside comic book creator Brian K. Vaughan and Bryan Fuller. First launched in 2002, the Vertigo comic book series follows Yurick Brown, the last man on Earth, as he searches for answers regarding a mysterious illness that only targeted those with a Y-chromosome.

With Green's addition perhaps FX is ready to begin devlopment on the project in earnest. Could we soon be receiving casting news?

5 Actors That Could Star In FX's 'Y: The Last Man' Series

zrbax0kbnvtlxeb2yf5r.jpg

Recently, it was announced that Michael Green was selected by FX to be the showrunner of their Y: The Last Man adaptation. Currently, he's the lead on Neil Gaiman's American Gods series and will be co-writing Y: The Last Man with series creator and comic book legend Brian Vaughn.

With the series moving ahead, it seemed like the perfect time to put together a list of five actors that I believe could pull off the part of the young hero.

5. Joseph Gordon-Levitt

4. Dave Franco

3. Jim Sturgess

2. Shia LaBeouf

1. Evan Peters

If there is one thing American Horror Story has taught us, it's that Evan Peters is one hell of an actor. Not only that, but Peters is no stranger to comic book roles, having starred in both X-Men as Quicksilver and Kick-Ass. I'm not saying we should put all of our comic book roles in one basket, but if the shoe fits, why not?

Brian K. Vaughan Updates Status Of Y: The Last Man TV Series

Created alongside Pia Guerra, Y: The Last Man was optioned for film by New Line Cinema and languished in development hell before the rights reverted back to the creators in 2015. FX then put a series into development with Michael Green of American Gods to serve as the showrunner, but news has been slow since those announcements.

While speaking with CBR, Vaughan provided an update on the state of the series.

“I recently read a phenomenal draft of the Y: The Last Man pilot by Michael Green for FX,” Vaughan said. “Should have some very cool news about another adaptation soon.”

FX has a high pedigree of making amazing television, and Green has been doing great alongside Bryan Fuller on American Gods. It seems like Y: The Last Man is in great hands.

Wondering Why We Haven’t Seen That ‘Y: The Last Man’ TV Show Yet? Blame the Election

The show has been in the works at FX for a long time now, so what’s up with the delay? According to writer/showrunner Michael Green, you can blame the 2016 presidential election for the long wait. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Green explained how the election of America’s current president made the writing process far more difficult, and nearly made him walk away from the project altogether:

“It would have been a very different show, and very different development process, had the election not been as horrifying as it was. I had to put the -script down for a couple months and really reassess it tonally, because it became a different creature, it became violent protest. It couldn’t not be political, and I had to embrace it, and I had to find my way in, and I had to find a way to channel my own dismay, disappointment and rage into it, while still keeping it what it is. For a minute there I almost walked away.”

Green also offered an update about his approach to the show, and how they’re looking to avoid a Lost-esque situation in which the show-runners are scrambling through the middle of a story without an end date in mind. Y: The Last Man will have an established length before it begins, “whether it’s 60, 70, or 80 episodes”:

“I’m gonna pick a number, and I’m gonna stick to it. And I’m gonna write to it. There’s so many brilliant things in that comic, the two biggest are the premise, and the ending.”

Elijah Wood Wants To Star In 'Y: The Last Man' TV Series

elijah-wood-y-the-last-man-tv-series-103

During a New York Comic Con interview for his TV series Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Elijah Wood let it be known that he would be interested in playing Y: The Last Man. Y is of course lead character in the famous comic book series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, which was put out by Vertigo Comics in the early 2000.

Wood had the following answer for Screen Rant when asked which comic book hero he would like to play: "Y: The Last Man. When is that going to get made? It’s such a great comic series. Amazing!"

Y: The Last Man takes place in a version of the world where all "Y" chromosome mammals (the males) simultaneously die. The sole exceptions are a amateur escape artist named Yorick Bown, and his monkey, Ampersand. With humanity plunged into chaos and facing extinction, Yorick is assigned a cover agent protect by his congressman mother, as he has become a precious resource. Meanwhile, all Yorick wants to do is find the actual woman he loves, who was a world away doing anthropological work when the plague hits.

FX CEO Says They Are Pretty Optimistic About 'Y: The Last Man'

Prior to the recent boom of comic-inspired TV series, Brian K. Vaughan's Y: The Last Man was one of the strongest contenders for stories that could transition to the small screen. Thanks to the success of The Walking Dead, Preacher and Legion, the possibility for the series looks even stronger. An FX executive recently shared that he's optimistic that the show can come to fruition at the network.

"[We feel] pretty optimistic, not quite at a final decision point," FX CEO John Landgraf told TV Guide at the Television Critics Association press event. "But we got a -script I really like, a draft we really like recently. Michael [Green] is available, because he's not involved in American Gods [anymore]."

The story follows Yorick Brown and his pet monkey after all mammals with a Y chromosome die off, depicting how the remaining women on the planet adjust to the sudden change.

Green was previously working on the adaptation of Neil Gaiman's American Gods with Starz, yet his departure allows him to explore various other projects. Vaughan himself spoke about Green's involvement with the project last year and his hope for the series.

"Wow, can that guy write," Vaughan told The Hollywood Reporter about Green's -script. "I wanted to find someone who loved the source material, but didn't feel so indebted to it that they would be afraid to change it."

Looks like the pilot is simply going to be called 'Y' at this time.

• Michael Green (American Gods, Logan) and Aida Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage) are attached as executive producers/showrunners, and will be working with Vaughan, who’s done TV work on shows like Lost and Under the Dome
  • Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None, Beyonce: Formation) will direct the pilot

The director looks to have more of a background in music videos that TV or movie productions.

Yes,Yes and Yes!!

One of the top 5 modern comic series imho

Read it if you haven't!

Already has a GPA high of $1250 some 3 yrs ago for a 9.8.

Goodness knows what it will hit now.

Edited by Beige

15 hours ago, Beige said:

Yes,Yes and Yes!!

One of the top 5 modern comic series imho

Read it if you haven't!

Already has a GPA high of $1250 some 3 yrs ago for a 9.8.

Goodness knows what it will hit now.

Nice!  It is a great read and so topical with today's political climate. I've been grabbing nice looking complete sets for $300 for the last couple years and I think I'll do nicely over the long run.

After the long process development as a feature film, a few years being reworked for television, and a pilot order from FX last year, Brian K. Vaughan's Y: The Last Man finally got a series order from the network with the show expect expected to debut in 2020. However, according to a new report, the DC/Vertigo comics-based series may not be coming to screens after all.

According to Bleeding Cool, a source has indicated that FX has cancelled their series order for Y: The Last Man. No additional details about the rumored cancellation was available at the time of this article's writing. Bleeding Cool also noted that while their emails for more information had not been returned, the news was potentially meant to be made official sometime today.

:o

5 hours ago, paperheart said:

$250?

If it drops to that - I'm buying.

It will get made one day

Appears the show is continuing with new show runners.  Not sure what a show runner does.  Director of a TV show?

Edited by 1Cool

21 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Appears the show is continuing with new show runners.  Not sure what a show runner does.  Director of a TV show?

Yup.

Y: The Last Man adaptation moving forward at FX with new showrunners

Shortly before FX was set to begin production on Y, the long-awaited live-action adaptation of the critically acclaimed comic series Y: The Last Man, showrunners Michael Green and Aida Mashaka Croal announced they were departing the project.

“Sad news for fans of Y: The Last Man today. FX has decided not to move forward with our series in its current form,” Croal wrote in a statement signed by her and Green. After thanking the writers, producers, and cast members involved in the show, Croal’s statement continued, “We hoped to reward their talent and their trust not just with success but with a show that had something to say, in a time when things must be said. As Y fans ourselves, we hope the future allows just that.”

Some fans of the property took this unexpected tweet as an indication that FX had canceled Y, but the statement’s wording was slightly misleading. FX has confirmed to EW that the network is moving forward with Y, but that Green and Croal were moving on “due to creative differences with the network.”

I would think the show-runners are the one consistent rallying point for the direction of the story, no matter who the director or actors are throughout. So pretty critical to the overall content.

33 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Yup.

Y: The Last Man adaptation moving forward at FX with new showrunners

I would think the show-runners are the one consistent rallying point for the direction of the story, no matter who the director or actors are throughout. So pretty critical to the overall content.

My thought is the show runners may have tried to make the show very political and FX wanted it to be a bit more subtle.