• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Y THE LAST MAN on FX (TBD)
2 2

113 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

Sorry Hector - I thought Yorick was going to be Transgendered?

I see now it is another mooted character.

My bad.

Yorick is Cisgendered.

Why that has to be announced is a mystery.

You are correct though.

Thankyou for the correction.

Edited by Beige

The latest set image for FX's long-awaited Y: The Last Man confirms production has begun on episode 4.

ythelastman01.PNG.b73a79270f08555d95d2a834d7f52ae9.PNG

Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's highly-acclaimed comic book series, which follows the last cisgender male on Earth after a cataclysmic event kills every mammal with a Y chromosome, has experienced a lot of ups and downs when it comes to being adapted in any form. A Y: The Last Man movie was discussed as far back as 2009, but nothing ever came of it. Fans were hopeful when FX announced a series was in development in 2015, but progress has been slow up until now.

Amen!

After countless starts, stops, delays, and reimaginings over the years, the TV adaptation of Vertigo's Y: The Last Man has finally been given a series premiere date, with the show set to debut on Monday, September 10th exclusively on FX on Hulu. One of the more popular comic series of the '00s from writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Pia Guerra, reports of an adaptation have circled for more than a decade, only for those reports failing to gain any momentum. Even after production on this series started, creative shifts took place that included the replacement of showrunners and even the titular role. Fans can check out Y: The Last Man when it premiers on Monday, September 10th.

Per press release, "A drama series based on DC Comics’ acclaimed series of the same name by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, Y: The Last Man traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event decimates every mammal with a Y chromosome but for one cisgender man and his pet monkey. The series follows the survivors in this new world as they struggle with their efforts to restore what was lost and the opportunity to build something better.

"The ensemble cast features Diane Lane as Congresswoman Jennifer Brown, Ashley Romans as Agent 355, Ben Schnetzer as Yorick Brown, Olivia Thirlby as Hero Brown, Amber Tamblyn as Kimberly Cunningham, Marin Ireland as Nora Brady, Diana Bang as Dr. Allison Mann, Elliot Fletcher as Sam Jordan, and Juliana Canfield as Beth Deville. All episodes of the season will be directed by women and the production has a significant number of female department heads, including both DPs, the production designer, costume designer, casting director, editors, stunt coordinator, and more.

I'm going to out on a limb and call this a hit before seeing the 1st episode.  The story is very topical in todays world and it should get a lot of traction on social media.  A well put together show with good actors will of course help a lot but I think this one should be a hit from the get go.

Damn - that looks great.  I was worried they would hold back from some of the darker parts of the comics but it looks like they are going all out.  Loving it.

Edited by 1Cool

Y: The Last Man makes it clear that gender identity exists beyond a male-female binary, giving the original comic series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra a modern update.

“Gender is diverse and chromosomes are not equal to gender. In the world of the television show every living mammal with a Y chromosome dies – that includes many women, it includes non-binary people, it includes intersex people,” showrunner Eliza Clark explained during the show’s TCA panel on Friday, “We are making a show that affirms that trans women are women, trans men are men, non-binary people are non-binary. That is part of the richness of of the world we get to play with.”

Based on Vaughn and Guerra’s DC Comics series of the same name, Y: The Last Man traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event decimates all but one cisgender male, Yorick Brown (Ben Schnetzer), and his pet monkey. The series follows the survivors in this new world as they struggle with their efforts to restore what was lost and the opportunity to build something better.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yeah, but stating having a Y chromosome will still kill you, really dances around the question. I was wondering if they would address this, as it was not really covered in the original comic. It also somewhat contradicts the original comic, because it painted dying as a male thing (I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I read it).

Y: The Last Man Review: Shining a Light on Underexplored Corners of the Gendered Apocalypse

After more than a decade of attempts to bring Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's Y: The Last Man comic book series to life, a TV series inspired by the 60-issue storyline finally lands on FX next week. A lot has changed since the comic concluded in 2008, not only from a media perspective but also from a cultural standpoint, in regards to both the storytelling witnessed in comic book adaptations and the gender dynamics throughout the world. The wait for this adaptation has largely paid off, with the FX series managing to faithfully bring expected moments to life, while also incorporating more perspectives on the catastrophe that expands upon the gendered apocalypse.

With the premiere episode, audiences are given a much better grasp of the state of society with more context than what readers were given in the debut issue of the comic. Viewers meet Yorick, though they also meet his sister Hero (Olivia Thirlby), an EMT and recovering addict, and his mother Jennifer (Diane Lane), a politician who is dealing with the sexism of American politics in addition to a separation from her husband. Fans will recognize a number of other key figures from the comic series, while also introducing Amber Tamblyn's Kimberly Cunningham, the daughter of the sitting president. This first episode also tips you off to the biggest difference between the book and this TV series, which is that, while assuredly an integral component of the overall narrative, Yorick is merely one part of a larger experience that the entire planet is suffers from.

The wait for Y: The Last Man to be seen in live-action has been worth it, as shows like Legion, Preacher, and Watchmen have offered much more mature and complex interpretations of its source materials when previous years likely would have seen Y be a much more literal translation. By expanding the scope of the world, we're given a much more harrowing experience with fewer lighthearted moments than fans might have been expecting, with the source material serving as the overall blueprint that is still being followed, but with flashlights being shone in the overlooked corners of the concept that had previously gone unexplored. While there's still a lot of room for the series to flourish or fall short, these first six episodes show a promising and sophisticated start for one of the most beloved comic book series of the past 20 years.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Y: The Last Man premieres on FX on Hulu on Monday, September 13th.

Yet again in some countries it will be on a different channel.

In Australia its on 'Binge'

The cost of watching favourite shows is becoming silly

The Boys on Amazon

Y on Binge

Marvel on Netflix and Disney+

Even 'In the Line Of Duty' ended up on 'Britbox'

I'd love to watch it, but really can't be bothered to sign up to yet another channel for 1 show. The expense of those above is about $150 per month here. Too much.

Just watched the first episode.

Solid...but I don't see this blowing up Walking Dead-style.

Granted, it's been a decade since I've read the books, and honestly I only read issues 1-40 or so, and then # 60 (which I felt was a huge letdown).

Really like the cast so far - especially the portrayals of 355 & Yorick (who is written just as immature as he was in the first comic arc, although a bit more selfish / dickish - which worked for me).

We've also got Olivia Thirbly as Hero - with some deeper characterization in the first hour here than she got in the first 20+ issues.

And Diane Lane as his mom, playing a Nancy Pelosi analogue, albeit younger.

Smartest thing this episode did? Start the day before - so we get to know many of the principal characters a bit before the actual event - not just 20 minutes or so before.

B+ - I'm interested to see how this unfolds.

Honestly, the biggest letdown from episode 1 is that it's playing on Hulu rather than a platform like Netflix, where it'd likely get more eyeballs.

What did y'all think?

Edited by Gatsby77