• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quarterfinals #2: Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs. Action #583 & Superman #423

Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs. Action #583 & Superman #423  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs. Action #583 & Superman #423

94 posts in this topic

Top 10 historical significance.

1. Action 1

2. Detective 27

3. Mad 1

4. Showcase 4

5. Fantastic Four 1

6. Amazing Fantasy 15

7. Giant Size X-Men 1

8. All Star Comics 3

9. Pep 22

10. Crime Suspenstories 22 (the infamous decapitation cover, directly led to the Comics Code after Bill Gaines was skewered at the Kefauver hearings)

What you mean to tell me that there is no Action #583 or Superman #423

in that list?

Unbelievable!

insane.gif

So these two books are undervalued ? smirk.gif

Yeah, I think with 64 votes registered for the winner, a lot of shilling must have been going on unless we get several more of us to step up and declare that's how we voted. I haven't done a count, but so far it can't be more than a half-dozen of us to publicly claim our choice for the Superman 2-parter.

But I'm baffled why the result is so incomprehensible apart from the 64 votes as suspected shills. The $10 book value thing only matters if you're choosing to vote based on the collectibility of the book, and AlexH left it up to us to choose the criteria for voting. And the GSXM as a "Top 10" book? Whose Top 10 list are we talking about? Based on what?

But I do agree with the sentiment that the poll becomes a joke unless we have 64 different people giving reasons (whatever they were) for voting for the eventual "winner" the way they did.

I'll be the 7th then as I went for the Moore books. My reasons? I enjoyed reading them and didn't like the X book.

I will no longer be participating in this contest, as it is clear it is 1) being rigged and 2) people are pumping Moore through shills. To have Action 583/Superman 423 beat GS X-Men 1, one of the top-10 important books in the history of the medium is ludicrous at best, and suspect at worst. Thanks to Alex for running a fun contest, but this is just stupid.

100% agreement. only on the most subjective of standards can a great yet relatively obscure Superman story pull one out here over the single most important Marvel book in the last thirty years. i can't find fault with someone hating the X-Men book or loving the Supes story, but there's no questiong that there are forty or so "extra" voters in this poll. which leads one to believe either:

a - there are tons of people who didn't vote in past rounds, but felt so motivated by the last superman story that it became necessary to vote in this one

or

b - there's one guy out there who has such little respect for either the integrity of the poll or the forum in general that he voted for supes about forty times.

i'm sorry, but if you have to cheat in an anonymous poll to get your guy to win a comic book poll, that's pretty effin spineless. i ain't gonna lose sleep over this result, but the actions of one person - since i would think this is the action of one supermotivated person of low character - have really ruined this poll for a lot of people

i'm sorry, but if you have to cheat in an anonymous poll to get your guy to win a comic book poll, that's pretty effin spineless. i ain't gonna lose sleep over this result, but the actions of one person - since i would think this is the action of one supermotivated person of low character - have really ruined this poll for a lot of people

I'm also leaning towards the one person scenario, but there's this little voice inside my head telling me he's not doing it to get a certain book to win, just to spoil the contest and cause trouble sign-rantpost.gif

would someone care to explain why GSX #1 is a top ten important book of all time? It introduced a popular new team and vaulted them to incredible popularity. does that automatically make it an 'important' book?

I don't agree with Donut's top ten important books list, and I find it neither surprising nor wrong that the Superman books won out.

would someone care to explain why GSX #1 is a top ten important book of all time? It introduced a popular new team and vaulted them to incredible popularity. does that automatically make it an 'important' book?

I don't agree with Donut's top ten important books list, and I find it neither surprising nor wrong that the Superman books won out.

The superman book was the end of an Era and in a way the death of Superman.

To say that GS-X-men was robbed is just sour grapes. If you checked the previous polls you could see that people did not allways vote in all polls and vote numbers allways fluctuated. I did not allways vote in all polls.

Supes was a well written story

This thread /topic seems to be bringing out the Evil Twin, Alternate Universe sides of all the Fanboys here.

poke2.gif

Ze-

Those X-men Fans are a little wierd arnt they? poke2.gif

This thread /topic seems to be bringing out the Evil Twin, Alternate Universe sides of all the Fanboys here.

poke2.gif

Ze-

Between this one, the always-pressing business at hand, and the Jack Kirby "tributes" crazy.gif in the Bronze forum, we do seem to be in one of the forum's periodic 893censored-thumb.gif-storm weather patterns!

Seeing as there are only about thirty people who contribute to these forums on a consistant basis,I'd guess there was a whole lot of shilling going on from the get-go.

If you are voting for the more important book,I can understand voting for the X-Men,but if you were voting for the better book(better reading book),I thnk only the more rabid fan-boys can vote for Claremont.

How many of you people who can't understand this result have even read both books?

Seeing as there are only about thirty people who contribute to these forums on a consistant basis,I'd guess there was a whole lot of shilling going on from the get-go.

If you are voting for the more important book,I can understand voting for the X-Men,but if you were voting for the better book(better reading book),I thnk only the more rabid fan-boys can vote for Claremont.

How many of you people who can't understand this result have even read both books?

Elitist poke2.gif

"All generalizations are wrong,including this one" 893whatthe.gif

And finally....If it walks like a duck......etc.

The vote total is way off-base for the overall polling, including previous times that the 2 books were on the chopping block.

100% agreement. only on the most subjective of standards can a great yet relatively obscure Superman story pull one out here over the single most important Marvel book in the last thirty years.

You may not like it, but it's hardly obscure.

Yes, if it were obscure, it would not be in the contest. As far as subjective standards, they were not stated in judging, just use your own criteria. As reading material, the Supes story is better. The X-MEN book is significant because of the characters introduced and what they will do later. If I were judging GSXM against Days of Future Past, I would go with Days as far as story goes.

If I were judging Action 1 against the Moore Superman story, I would go with the Moore story as a better read. You cannot make a judgement on subjective standards when there were no standards to begin with.