• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BB28 from an 8.0 to a 9.0??????????

261 posts in this topic

I imagine he wouldn't be happy about it. Maybe Steve and Josh could comment.

No reason for them to comment. The only thing you might see is the listing being pulled or modified price-wise due to the discussion going on here.

Either way it is still a very dangerous time to be buying in this hobby, CGC has limited some danger, but the psuedo consumer confidence they have created has increased other dangers.

Well said... thumbsup2.gif

Though don't be surprised when the apologists start asking you what those "increased dangers" actually are... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I'm really glad I don't have $25k to be spending on comics. That way there's no need to worry about who's pressing what and trying to turn lead into gold.

Pressing is within the rules of the game. If you have this kind of money and have educated yourself to know that it might be going on, and the label on your book might represent a resubbed book, then I say buyer beware. Otherwise, if they don't care that the book has been pressed, and they're going to spend the money regardless because they feel the label itself provides the liquidity, then there's no reason for any of us to care unless we're going to buy the book.

I think they ought to disclose pressing, but since a good press is hard to see, I don't see anyone changing their policy to disclose anytime soon.

Exactly, like I said.

Let us(someone) decide what the book is worth.

Once it sells.. for whatever it sells for... it is what it is.

Ze-

I sure wish there was a system in place where Key, High dollar books submitted to CGC would be cross referenced against their own scan database of all the known,same issue submited/graded books to see if the book in hand is a recent crack/press/resub/flip comic. In an attempt to deter greed motivated sellers from abusing the current CGC 10.0 grading scale, and labeling system"

Steve has repeatedly said CGC isn't structured nor do they have the time to check to see if comics have previously been graded... frustrated.gif

For the record...I'd like to see them institute a cross reference system as well...

Jim

I'll say it again, If I was the original seller of this book I would be more pissed off if it HAD NOT BEEN PRESSED. Why? well because CGC just cost me between 10-15K buy undergrading / misgrading a book. One full grade on a book of this profile within a 4 month period (thanks for to correction) is just insane.gif

Everytime I see this kind of stuff it just reinforces my thinking to NOT pay huge multiples for slabbed books. Have a real long look at the subjective nature of what you are actually paying for - its really back and white in the example posted by Rube and Tom. screwy.gif

Steve has repeatedly said CGC isn't structured nor do they have the time to check to see if comics have previously been graded... frustrated.gif

I know Jim, I remember. And understand why.

I was just banging my head against the wall, I am hard headed that way.

makepoint.gif

No reason for them to comment. The only thing you might see is the listing being pulled or modified price-wise due to the discussion going on here.

I see no reason for that, for them to even do that. Someone drops over 5k on a book, and then is willing to take a gamble on having it pressed in hope of higher grade and succeding, lady luck was smiling down on him.

So Red,

Let me ask, you wouldn't have a problem paying an additional $15k on a book then? I am assuming that is your stand on this.

Rube

Before I ever paid that much money for a book, especially with it being a recent submission, I'd scour the internet for any evidence I could find that might lead me to think it was a resub. Basically you are on your own. When it comes to pressing, if it bothers you...you are totally on your own right now.

You can only do so much. As the system exists now, there is nothing in place to guarantee you that a book hasn't been pressed. Let's just say I've passed through my idealist stage and am now getting in touch with my inner realist. We've been through this before.

Would it bother me to find out after the fact that I'd paid $25,000 for a book that went for $5,000 four months previously? Do I even have to bother to answer that? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think what you're seeing here is a very extreme case of a bump up in price for two grades. Any buyer better do his homework before he puts money like that on the table. Whether pressing bothers him or not.

One full grade on a book of this profile within a 4 month period (thanks for to correction) is just insane.gif

Maybe CGC was having a bad day and overgraded the comic....Wonder if Comgeek takes returns... insane.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

I'm really glad I don't have $25k to be spending on comics. That way there's no need to worry about who's pressing what and trying to turn lead into gold.

Pressing is within the rules of the game. If you have this kind of money and have educated yourself to know that it might be going on, and the label on your book might represent a resubbed book, then I say buyer beware. Otherwise, if they don't care that the book has been pressed, and they're going to spend the money regardless because they feel the label itself provides the liquidity, then there's no reason for any of us to care unless we're going to buy the book.

I think they ought to disclose pressing, but since a good press is hard to see, I don't see anyone changing their policy to disclose anytime soon.

What he said. If we're not going to get disclosure, then the goal should be to promote awareness. That's the best you're going to do right now. And that's one of the things these boards do.

Is this Steve Lauterbauch's book ? I always thought he was regarded as a stand-up guy that was deemed 'reputable' ? Perhaps pressing will have to be regarded as reputable if the guys at the top are doing it ? But does not the community of colector's have any say ? One would think that this would 'red flag' all Steve's future sales as potentially 'pressed',..all in all,..I feel if Steve wants to press,..thats HIS business,...but soon,..many will probably re-consider buying books from him, for fear that it has been 'pressed'. The sword cuts both ways. Caveat Emptor.

I see no reason for that, for them to even do that. Someone drops over 5k on a book, and then is willing to take a gamble on having it pressed in hope of higher grade and succeding, lady luck was smiling down on him.

And who knows.....someone, knowing the story, and about the previous sale, might still want the book at a much higher price and be thrilled to get it.

Doesn't this still fall back on "REPUTABLE dealers to know something. What if you were to ask the question about the book AND they didn't let you know this little detail. Then what?

Rube

You won't know until you ask. Email comiclink and comgeek and ask if the book was pressed.

Doesn't this still fall back on "REPUTABLE dealers to know something. What if you were to ask the question about the book AND they didn't let you know this little detail. Then what?

You should have asked questions before starting this thread. It would have been a nice test case to see what a supposedly reputable dealer will reveal... gossip.gif

Jim

Rube

Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. And tell me who the "reputable" dealers are? Which dealers have recently proclaimed that none of their books are pressed?

Who is on your list of reputable dealers, and how can you be sure they don't press books or sell pressed books?