• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BB28 from an 8.0 to a 9.0??????????

261 posts in this topic

I'm guessing 2.5 months in plenty of time to get the book shipped to you, pressed and regraded by CGC. Matter of fact, I'm guessing 2.5 months would be the expected time all that would take eh?

Look, just chalk it up to CGC being a little looser grading-wise than they used to be......the 9.0 was graded Feb. 17, 2005 and the 8.0 was graded way back on.....Oct. 14, 2004.

Clearly a softening of grading criteria over the course of time.

Not really the point Red, it is the same book pressed out knowingly to increase the value. Plus sell it to unsuspecting collectors who might or might not care. Someone should explain that with the listing.

Rube

Ya thats the time frame if not sooner. I guess a week for the original shipment. Another week to ship it to the presser. 3 weeks under the dry mount. A week to ship it to CGC. Assuming Standard here, another week for grading. A week to ship it back to you. And then post it on the Comlink site. So 1+1+3+1+1+1 = 8 weeks. Which is not a bad few months if he gets say 20K for it.

Not really the point Red, it is the same book pressed out knowingly to increase the value. Plus sell it to unsuspecting collectors who might or might not care. Someone should explain that with the listing.

Rube

rrrriiiggghhhttt. I can see the updated information on the listing "any second" now...

Look, just chalk it up to CGC being a little looser grading-wise than they used to be......the 9.0 was graded Feb. 17, 2005 and the 8.0 was graded way back on.....Oct. 14, 2004.

Clearly a softening of grading criteria over the course of time.

Ok Red then we are into the slippery slope arguement. Either --

1. The 5K book was purchased and pressed (for about $100) into a potential 20K book (he's asking 25K which is insane). Talk about an arbitrary process for a 15K differential.

2. Grading is a lot more subject than most people think since CGC. How Iron clad of a guarantee is a full grade difference over a one year span on a high profile SA key book. You have to think that Steve had a good look at this book both times it went in.

How pissed would you be as the original seller at 5K IF NO WORK WAS DONE, knowing that CGC actually cost you 15 thousand dollars, or left it on the table with their inconsistency.

Either way it is still a very dangerous time to be buying in this hobby, CGC has limited some danger, but the psuedo consumer confidence they have created has increased other dangers.

Rube

My question may surprise you.

Why is he obligated to explain that? It's a hell of a flip, if he gets anything in the way of what he is asking for it, and it might or might not have been worked on. But aside from a buyer's wish-list of seller disclosures......there is nothing compelling the guy to say anything. It's got the label, it's in the slab. This is kinda' old news in a way. It's a great example of what might motivate someone to press a book, but again, be real. No one's going to say anything, because pressing is an accepted practice and has CGC's blessing.

One other thing....what makes you so sure books are all "sent out" for pressing? I think there is a possiblity of growing "at home" pressing by high end dealers. Practice on a enough low-end books and you might start hitting the high enders. Not saying this is the case here.

Rube

rrrriiiggghhhttt. I can see the updated information on the listing "any second" now...

sign-funnypost.gif

I sure wish there was a system in place where Key, High dollar books submitted to CGC would be cross referenced against their own scan database of all the known,same issue submited/graded books to see if the book in hand is a recent crack/press/resub/flip comic. In an attempt to deter greed motivated sellers from abusing the current CGC 10.0 grading scale, and labeling system"

Wait a minute...what was I thinking.. foreheadslap.gif....nevermind... that would not matter to them since pressing is not considered a naughty thing. And they cannot detect it.( but we seem to be able to see the differences from scans only)

Since CGC does not mind if it was pressed correctly, or recently cracked and resubbed, or for that matter soon to be flipped again by a greed motivated seller.. They just grade the book in front of them.

Right?

So the BB #28 is now, and forever will be a CGC 9.0 , no matter what route it took to get there.

Let us deal with it, and figure out what it is worth.

Sorry.. I mindlessly ranted out loud there for a sec. sign-rantpost.gif

Ze-

2. Grading is a lot more subject than most people think since CGC. How Iron clad of a guarantee is a full grade difference over a one year span on a high profile SA key book. You have to think that Steve had a good look at this book both times it went in.

4 month span...

How pissed would you be as the original seller at 5K IF NO WORK WAS DONE, knowing that CGC actually cost you 15 thousand dollars, or left it on the table with their inconsistency.

Maybe someone should email Cedarchest Comics and see what he thinks...

Comgeek is a member of the boards. I'm sure he will be along any second now to explain this whole misunderstanding. makepoint.gif

Misunderstanding? Get 8.0, press 8.0, send to CGC, get back 9.0. That seems pretty easy to understand to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

I AM.......

obvious.jpg

insane.gif

Seriously, why should Comgeek, working within the system as it is constructed now, pass up the chance to do a deal like this? Just asking. At the moment, no one's handing merit badges out to sellers who don't press.

There is absolutely no incentive for a seller not to execute this strategy. He'd be a fool not to do it. (Again, pulling everyone back to the start....there is no definitive proof of work being done on the book under inspection.....it's all conjecture. Serious conjecture, but still conjecture.)