• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious to read the consistency, fervor, and angst, over THIS "theft" recently!

120 posts in this topic

If you have time to sell you have time to scan. Plain and simple.

HA! HA! AND MARTHFOCKIN' HA!size>

Oh...please please please come over, work my gov't job during the day for me, care for my pregnant wife, mow my lawn, maintain my house for me, sort out my financial affairs, attend to the endless number of family weddings, b-days, and events so I can kick back and scan 10 of the same USM 15 CGC 9.8s, meanwhile I also have 15 Origin 4 CGC 9.8s that have to be scanned and ...the list goes on...

Don't know how your life is centered but unfortunately mine is not on selling. And despite that, I still feel I provide great customer service for all my buyers, actual and potential. If I can keep up my lifestyle, doing what I do, and missing out on satifying very picky (to the point of obsessive disorder..must be a different scan...must be an individual scan) buyers with your mentality then so be it.

I'm just working with what I got now. Maybe in some time in the future if I change my view on a multiple item that needs to be scanned individually for the umpteenth time, then I'll call you.

Just offerring a counter point, Joanna. I know you have no problem with me, nor I, with you. A TV prop is one thing...the bigger buck should go to the better auction. But remember that your "popularity" a.k.a feedback and online reputation has much to do with that $$$ figure as well. I'm not downplaying the importance of the scan and care in description.

I'm not perfect. I just opt for the quick re-use when I'm tired. Glad you are in approval and can trust me regardless. That is all I can ask. grin.gif

Why should any bidder have to bid on a piece with an image they are not actually buying?

Keeping in mind, that this is about reusing same scan of an item for relisting purposes...because they can trust in my reputation that I'm selling them a quality product. I never make the claim in my auctions that the image is product actually sold. If they don't bid, oh well, I believe there are plenty of others who will bid and be as happy with the product received. As for borrowing a scan/stealing a scan, as long as that is disclosed (borrowed from your pro-resto argument) as scan not of actual item, then it should be fine. Sometimes people just need to see what an issue looks like and know that they want to bid on it. In Modern books, there are so many multiple covers that one can remember exactly which variant they need. I find that borrowing a scan in this case is more helpful to the buyer than not, or omitting a scan altogether.

The ramifications are considerable. I could say "Well, my Marvel Superheroes #1 9.4 is the same as that OTHER 9.4 - I thinik I will just grab their scan."

And ask first, is what I believe. If seller lets me use it then great. It has happened because not everyone is as wound up about lending their scans as you. Sometimes my book was actually better than the scan. I just wanted to includea scan in my auction for buyer ease. I don't borrow now, I told you, but back when I didn't have the means to scan for myself, I did this with about 4 people consistently, and they were not self righteous about it in the least.

And people wonder why I get ticked when a major restoration piece and a simple dry cleaning are seen as the same

Because resto is resto, no matter which way you slice it, and it is BAD for business (referring to resale, and letting it mingle out there with non-frnakenstein comics; resto is good only for maintaining private copies for own collection, never ever to be resold) grin.gif It seems this view really gets your goat... tongue.gif

There really is no comparison between a TV prop and comic, I was just illustrating my own feelings about presentation (the text and the images) being important. I guess it's a button for me when I hear that neither has any importance or affect on the auction, because often, that's all I have (though you're right about having a reputation, because I used to be unable to sell a comic and now most of them sell. People had to get to know me and it took awhile). So I guess I was bringing some baggage with me on this thread. It happens to all of us sometimes.

As for you, Darth, I really do understand your position when it comes to having many identical items. I agree that you shouldn't have to scan each one separately if you own them and can see that they're identical. It seems like a waste of time, to me.

I don't have that luxury with my comic auctions, as I sell old books in varying conditions. So for me, the scan is important as is the write-up. I just have to figure out how to get more auctions out because each one takes me so much time. But that's my problem, no one else's.

-- Joanna

Here are my views on the subject. I sell mostly Magic the Gathering Cards on e-bay. I scan each card I sell and save just 1 picture. I use that picture when I sell that card. I basically sell the same cards week after week so it would be a huge waste of time to scan each card individually. Prior to Magic the Gathering Cards I sold Pokemon cards ( when they were red hot ) and I used to keep the pictures in my webspace. Earthlink at the time offered 6MB space with I believe 2GB bandwidth. This was before ipix with e-bay and the 1 free picture per listing. I used HTML to acess my picture from my webspace to show the picture of the card in my auctions.

I would not use any sort of -script to prohibit right clicking on the pic nor did I use any type of watermark. If you copied the pic to your hard drive I would not be able to tell if the pic was mine or not ( you could rename it or whatever all the cards look the same right out of the pack ) But I would catch people using HTML to acess my picture from MY webspace to show the picture that I spent my time scanning and re-sizeing. This made me really angry. Even though the webspace is FREE it does have a limited amount of bandwith I could use per month.

So what I would do is comb some of the other auctions and see who is using my bandwidth. I would then each week re-name all my pics by random number at the end i.e Blastoise_12.jpg , Blastoise_23.jpg Just to throw off the people trying to use my pics. I would then take a nice raunchy pic and replace the previous file with it. Let me tell you how many people I made angry. But hey it's MY webspace and NOBODY ever asked me for permission to use the pics I scanned. Some of the sellers sent me nasty e-mails but my reply was always the same DON'T USE MY PICS!!

I guess the moral is copy and paste, save to your hard drive and it's very difficult to prove it was your pic ( unless you can visually see the serial # or have it watermarked ) Use my pic from my webspace and you will have a nice surprise :-)

Is it wrong to copy anothers pictures? In terms of CGC I would say it is because you are also selling a 3rd party service along with the merchandise. I can say a book is graded 9.6 NM+ and I bet it will sell for alot less than a CGC 9.6 NM+ of the same book. Even taking two identical graded books CGC 9.6 NM+ one might have a nasty gash in the casing and when the buyer receives the book he/she may think it was due to shipping. When I sell CGC books I will be scanning each book seperately even with the same grade for the same book. But that is just my preference.

Hey Matt (SILVERAGEFAN)....becareful? about what? telling the truth about your past? you really are a numbskull, with your track record starting an argument with ANYONE over ethics is a joke. I personally know two people that have wonderful(kaf kaf) things to say about their past experience with you, as well a James Rudd (AKA F.F.) who has a litney of info on your track record as well. There is also an older thread in this forum detailing these facts as well.

So exactly what B.S. is being told here? I know the truth hurts, but at least be a man and stand up to it. To think how kind and patient I was with you shameful, lets not take this any further, I don't want to have to detail your exploits. mad.gif

From my POV it's not the fact that you stole the scan that makes you a , it's the fact that you stole the scan and then tried to be the victim. You're the victim only in the sense that you're a and can't seem to do anything about it.

"Hi, my name is Crusty and I'm a . I'm powerless over my dickness."

Kind of like an alcoholic.

WOW!!!...now that's an intelligent, and seemingly provocative statement brian, you're too clever for me.

However there is one disturbing question? you're obvious attraction to the word "", perhaps your subconscience will always struggle with the fact that you lack one yourself (including the balls). Now go rage in that high pitch tone, against the CGC or some other nugatory railing no one gives two cents about....

Use my pic from my webspace and you will have a nice surprise :-)

Dude that is hilarious! I LOVE IT!!! Did you get rickdogg to send you his girlfriend's pics for that! Although you were possibly subjecting kids looking for Pokemon to the "raunch fest", it serves the sellers right for 1) theiving your bandwidth and 2) not asking for your permission.

It's giving me ideas too...I'll be back after I scan in my Pedigreed Poptart collection!

I see no problem in using the same scan for a modern book in 9.8 condition. Especially (and ONLY) if the books look identical. I sold 10 copies of PPSSM #1, and there were only 3 that I scanned for my auctions. Some had an off-center cover, some didn't, and a couple were in between.

Now if Darth listed 20 9.8 books, used only 1 scan, and each book looked different, than I could see a problem. But from what I've read here, he's a great seller and definitely is not trying to deceive anyone.

I think that stealing a description word-for-word is wrong. Borrowing from a description is OK.

I've sold items before, and wasn't sure how to spice up the text, so I looked at other auctions to see what they were saying. But to copy a description and pass it off as your own shows the laziness and lack of integrity of the seller.

If they ask you if it's OK to use your description, then fine. But don't just steal it.

procrustean, gaak, PulpFiction,

What do you have to say about ending yor auctions early again?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=716208097

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=716244165

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1769674520

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1769672993

Any form of reply would be greatly appreciated,

greedydealer

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh?....what do I say? perhaps i'm confused, hopefully you can enlighten me. Am I not allowed to do this? is THIS also a crime? do I OWN these items? if I do, do I have a say as to what I want to do with them? could I possibly sell to other offers outside Ebay? could I possible decide...hmmmmmmm? maybe i'd like to KEEP them for now? Do I really need to go on with a myriad of other possibilities? or MUST I sell the item to you because you WANT it?

The few of you who have continued to track my auctions, check my purchases and sales, email others and lie about assumptions and innuendo you've created, will eventually have it come around, that's the beauty of life.

With ALL this research and detective work done by the ignominious few on these boards, what EVIDENCE have you found of any fraud or scam? Where are the FACTS I ask you? I assume you base this tremendous discovery of myth on...returns?..no one EVER gives FACTS, only vitriol commentary based on hearsey. I can't have returns? this makes me a "scammer" geeze, is this not why I have a 100% REFUND policy. Where are the dirth of defrauded ebayers? where is the poor feedback reflecting such? Even ALL (5) of the negative feedbacks I've received are from CRIMINALS known to Ebay, check their feedback and negatives and then compare, selective memories are worthless.

Some of you are truly a joke, don't confuse PERSONAL ethical conduct and morality with ACTUAL fraud and crime, if only I had you in a courtroom with that lack of nothing, it would dimiss in minutes. The bottom line is TELL THE TRUTH and stop prevaricating about me, its wrong and will eventually bite back mad.gif

procrustean, gaak, PulpFiction,

I am just trying to see your credibility in the comic book market as a dealer. By having auctions on Ebay and setting no reserves, and then ending auctions early due to the price was not what you desired is unethical. Not to mention you still have not comment on this book that was sold by you graded as "Near Mint"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=715094853

All im trying to say is it's dealers like you with no credibility as a seller that makes buyers weary. Hope I didn't get your panties all tied up in a bunch.

Always,

greedydealer

hahahahaha....."greedydealer" is your ID and you're talking to ME about ethics? you're a fool, and a dunce my man...do you KNOW who NOTCH TOP IS? do you KNOW that he's had about four different Ebay ID's? curious...how many have I had? your "source" for ethics is the former SILVERAGEFAN you insufficiently_thoughtful_person, and his track record is one to behold.

Your ignorance is further proven once you align yourself with individuals like that, and it certainly makes ME think about YOUR qualifications on Ebay, i'll have to check into you.

As for that book, it sold upon return and FULL REFUND, to another, that was quite happy with my 9.0 grade. Which by the way, in case the criminal didn't tell you, I had mentioned to him upon shipping in the first place. Lets follow this: Buy book, receive book, not happy with book, return book, refund given....hmmmmmmmmmm..yup, I clearly see the lack of ethics there..you dolt! 350 transactions on Ebay 4 returns?..hmmmmmmm logical minds should figure the facts out.confused.gifmad.gif

Oh yeah, and by the way, you never answered MY questions regarding my rights as a seller to do with MY goods what I wish? I understand, arguing from a point of disadvantage takes its toll on the mind. crazy.gif