• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious to read the consistency, fervor, and angst, over THIS "theft" recently!

120 posts in this topic

I'm somewhat new to the board and I'm trying to understand something. Procrustean, you started this thread because someone took your auction copy without your permission. I agreed with you that this was very wrong. Yet now it sounds like you took someone else's scans without their permission and yet you feel that's okay. Every response you post on this thread appears confrontational and filled with little more than name-calling (okay, boys, get out your rulers, measure them, and get it over with).

I would like to hear from you in a nonconfrontational manner as to why the double-standard regarding text vs. scans? I know you said at one point that text theft is plagiarism, whereas a scan is not a product of your creativity. Very true, but as a lawyer you know of course that that's comparing apples and oranges. It's not about plagiarism with a scan, it's about misrepresentation. If you put a scan on your auction, say that it is the exact book you are selling and yet it is a scan of someone else's book (a book you cannot hold in your hand and compare side by side with your copy), that's fraud, isn't it? As a lawyer, wouldn't you deem that a fraud case?

Text theft, scan theft -- they both seem very wrong to me. As a man of the law, one whose life is about justice, why is it wrong when done to you, but not wrong when you do it to another?

-- Joanna

Dang it, I missed all the fun!!

Hey Crusty-cakes, how ya doin', ya old fart?

Now reply with a pointless, empty threat or insult.

And don't ignore me; people might think you're spineless...again!

To Joanna & others not "In The Know," we have history. This fat-mouth blowhard does a real good job of sticking his foot (or is that his tail?) in his mouth when attempting to belittle or intimidate others who have exposed him for the small human that he is.

YOU are whining about an unethical situation???????

Hey, look up in the sky; pigs with wings! Both my pot & kettle are now white! Clinton is now claiming that Monica forced him to unleash Big Willie!

Luh-hoozer tongue.gif

I think you'll agree that if someone has, for example, 2 copies of MISTER MYSTERY #13 with the same CGC grade, they are gonna deserve seperate scans.

Poverty, I'm in 100% agreement with you here. Can't ever tell how you guys treat your old beat up books...

Scottish & Joanna I will answer your questions here for the record, and then say my goodbyes, all the arguing and vitriol text I always experience in these rooms is taxing, so its best I leave it for good.

Now, Joanna you are correct, I did indeed use a scan that was not mine, and to be honest before this forum got wind I never really thought about it. I tried to use a scan that most correctly reflected my book, and felt that was fair but I now realize my approach to it all was wrong. I became a bit defensive because a LOT of what was being said regarding "threatening emails" I had sent (never did), or the crazy logic many decided to take on once they made me their whipping boy.

The ironic thing is, "Ubiquiti" the guy whos scan I used wrote me via email stating that he would never again post such a thing on these boards given the...and I quote "unfair treatment you received in that room" and I still have the mail to prove it. However people in here just wouldn't let it go and that was that, It all just snowballed and ended up being a cluster @#$%, but regardless I could have handled it better.

Many of the things said in here about me are completely false, there are people in these rooms that have delt with me before and had fabulous transactions(including Matt/notch_top/silveragefan) who forgets to mention all the OTHER transactions he WAS pleased with regarding me, including the Amazing Spiderman CGC NM+9.6 he begged me for, yet still took him almost a month to pay for. Or the ASM# 59 he sold me as a CGC 9.8 that graded a 9.4, where's the outrage? this place is completely hypocritical as you'll learn over time.

Yet again I digress, sorry but essentially I have had WAYYYYY more positive transactions then the few negs, especially when you LOOK at who gave me the negs. I am as falable as the next guy, but to try and say that a 1/2 grade difference on a book makes me a jerk for selling it is pathetic. With that logic roughly 25% of my CGC graded books are "lying" about their grade, because I certainly have MANY CGC 9.4 books with a crunched corner or two. Not to mention 9.6 books that look not a sliver better than 9.2's I own?

As for Matt, notch_top, I'll say this; Scottish, you've ALWAYS been a fairly decent guy, and never really got personal with me so I don't mean to upset you. However, simply ask James Rudd about it and he will confirm exactly what I said in here. He had built up quite an impressive feedback rating under silveragefan as well, BEFORE the dirty stuff started.

Much of what has happened in here has been regretable, some my fault, but that's life not a problem. However be fair in the future and make sure someone is a "thief" and actually commited "fraud" before accusing them of such based on emailed rumor and innuendo. Some people in here are real small, and have an "agenda" so beware.

Lastly, the "ethics" regarding my auctions I have to take issue with, I can make any deal I wish to sell my items, and no one can tell me differently. Sometimes i've ended auctions because I had better offers, sometimes just because I decided not to sell it, and sometimes because the price wasn't right. No one is going to intmidate me into adhering to "ebay policy" when much of their POLICIES are a joke. If its between saving money for me or my family as oppose to giving Ebay more fees just so some people are happy i'm not shutting auctions down early...well forget it!

I have done SO MANY deals where I emailed the seller after he shut down an auction and got a super deal, and many have done similar with me. I have never ONCE emailed anyone telling them they're an for shutting their auction down, why? its THEIR stuff, who the @#$% am I to tell them what to do? but hey, that's just me.

Bottomline, I make mistakes and sometimes can be quite confrontational, BUT the pervasive, and baseless lies told in these rooms will comeback to those that started them, it always does. Its fine to not care for someone based on whatever criteria that individual finds appropriate, but labelling someone with an outright rumored LIE is wrong, and makes these rooms far less meaningful regarding their purpose. Anyway, to those I consort with outside these boards we'll talk soon, to all others farewell sorry if things I said were offensive or nasty, but that was USUALLY in response to some attack. As for the propaganda that overwhelmed these boards, facts folks, facts, not opinion or hypothesis. Find em', bring em', prove em'...until then, keep it to yourself and check into MY claims they're based on FACTS!...cheers

smirk.gif

So are you saying that you've used scans that aren't yours? If so, that would mean that your statement in some of these auctions that "the pic below is the book offered"...is basically a lie since it really isn't.

Brian

Crusty,

That's cool of you to finally admit it laugh.gif Darth & I have spoken about you personally on IM's via MSN messenger & Darth has told me that you are a swell guy wink.gif We both agreed that you became defensive & came off wrong on these boards, but still agreed that we would probably buy from you if you ever had anything of interest. Since you may have lost some potential bidders from this forum, I jokingly told Darth, "Hey atleast we have less competition on Crusty's stuff now!" laugh.gif

Your feedback is impeccable & it should mean something. Just try to be less confrontational & i'm sure the attacks will eventually fade tongue.gif

rickdogg,

are you feeling OK? i think that's the most mature post you've ever posted. tongue.gif seriously though i have to agree with you. just don't be confrontational, matt, notch_top, silveragefan hasn't been confrontational at all on these boards and is try to rebuild his reputation. i know nobody's perfect and should be forgiven, but procrustean, if you are pulpfiction and gaak too, i can see why some board memebers attack you. but whatever, it's all water under the bridge now...let's move on. wink.gif

supa

Hehehe, usually I just add short lil comments "under my breath" since I don't like babbling too much. In this case, I had to say something because I truly believe that crusty is a decent guy that just came off wrong. I'm sure he has something to offer to these boards. tongue.gif

Holy Christ.

So you did steal ubiquiti's scan? So we've had all this drama and you did steal the scans?

Tell you what. Just go away. This is a joke and insulting to everybody here.

I understand what you are saying donut, but I'd even admit that I used to "steal" scans when I first started selling on ebay since I did not have a scanner or digital camera. I never had any problems since I did deliver the goods/items as stated in the auction listings. Although I never went as far as saying, "this is the actual scan, etc," I did borrow scans before. If someone steals a scan with the purpose of scamming people (ex. comiclink's stuff) then it is wrong, but if someone borrows it and delivers the goods it's all good to me laugh.gif You guys can use my scans anytime if you need any wink.gif

Yeah, I was surprised about your post also! I saw you making a reply and was wondering what fuel you were going to add to the fire but you surprised me! Crystin must really be a good influence on you! shocked.gif

Well whadya know...

He did it. He finally did it. There was a little "2 steps forward, 1 step back shuffle" in his wording, but the admission is there.

As for my feeling on the issue, note the statement below:

Using someone else's info (visual, text) without their permission is wrong.

Forget the semantics- borrowed, misappropriated, stole

Forget the reasoning behind it- laziness, enthical, imitation=flattery

Forget the legalities- ebay...enforcement?

Apply whatever examples to the above statement that you wish:

Eating a grape at the market that you didn't pay for.

"Borrowing" a stranger's car, then returning it unharmed.

Taking hidden money then returning it later.

In My Opinion, it's wrong. Anyone that wants to debate this as an adult, I welcome you with open arms. Those that feel threats or personal attacks will win your agument, please keep them to yourself or be prepared for retaliation. I don't take that kind of lying down.

And finally, I believe Rickdogg & Darth summed up the final analysis best:

smile.gif You guys can use my scans anytime if you need any wink.gif

Once permission is granted, the discussion for that particular individual is over.

Rick

procrustean,

Thank you so much for responding to my post with honesty and directness. I hate seeing only one side, and this helped a great deal. Making mistakes is human, admitting to them is difficult, but in the long run, is always the best choice. And I'm especially grateful that your post was not confrontational, as your message came through much clearer. It appears a lot of people heard you this time.

If this is a place that you think can benefit you, then I hope you don't leave. It sounds like you have some friends here.

-- Joanna