• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Expanse...
2 2

112 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2020 at 10:51 PM, drotto said:

Did you get to the point where they turn everything om its head yet?

Oh man. Forgive me. I missed this.

I'm at Season 3, Episode 8. When Melba breaks that guy's body up so she can cram him into a cabinet. That was hardcore to watch!

And with Miller making himself known again. That is just wild.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:15 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oh man. Forgive me. I missed this.

I'm at Season 3, Episode 8. When Melba breaks that guy's body up so she can cram him into a cabinet. That was hardcore to watch!

And with Miller making himself known again. That is just wild.

Love that the protomolecule is not really what we were lead to believe. Also the last "war"episode with the mutinies, etc.  That stuff was just astounding. 

Search feature made it quite the hassle tracking this thread down.

“The Expanse” has been renewed for Season 6 at Amazon, which will also be the show’s last.

The news comes ahead of the show’s fifth season on the streamer, which will debut on Dec. 16. This will mark the second time the show has come to an end.

“The Expanse” aired its first three seasons on Syfy, with the cable networking having cancelled the series back in 2019. Shortly after it was cancelled, it was reported that Amazon was in talks to continue the series, which is produced and fully financed by Alcon Television Group.

The series is set in the future where humanity has colonized the solar system and the people of Earth, Mars and the Asteroid Belt have long been in opposition with one another. When the crew of the Rocinante uncovers an ancient alien technology, a vast conspiracy begins to emerge, one that will bring the solar system to the brink of war.

Based on the New York Times bestselling book series collectively known as “The Expanse,” written by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (under the pen name James S. A. Corey), “The Expanse” stars Steven Strait, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Dominique Tipper, Cas Anvar, Wes Chatham and Frankie Adams.

The series was developed and scripted by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, who executive produce along with Naren Shankar, Andrew Kosove, Broderick Johnson, Laura Lancaster, Sharon Hall, Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of Hivemind, Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck and Dan Nowak. Shankar serves as showrunner for all seasons.

“We’d like to thank Naren, Andrew, Broderick, everyone at Alcon and the entire cast and crew of ‘The Expanse’ for the hard work and love they have put into the series over these past seasons,” said Vernon Sanders, co-head of television for Amazon Studios. “We’re very happy we can give the incredibly loyal and passionate fans of ‘The Expanse’ the satisfying conclusion to the series that they deserve. We know they’ll love how Seasons Five and Six unfold.”

1 hour ago, drotto said:

Well that sucks.  The best show on TV right now.  Easily one of the best shows of the last 20 years.

I have really come to appreciate this show. And I at least own the first three seasons for rewatch (Season 4 isn't available on VUDU). So I'll hate to see it go.

Talk about co-incidence!

I just started reading the expanse series by James S.A. Corey (although 'he's' really 2 people) - up to book 4 now.

Will read all 7 (I think) and then watch the show.

I think I will be better off reading the books first - especially as 'Miller' might be hard to understand without the book backstory.

Glad it gets such good reviews!

4 hours ago, Beige said:

Talk about co-incidence!

I just started reading the expanse series by James S.A. Corey (although 'he's' really 2 people) - up to book 4 now.

Will read all 7 (I think) and then watch the show.

I think I will be better off reading the books first - especially as 'Miller' might be hard to understand without the book backstory.

Glad it gets such good reviews!

They have said season 5 covers book 5 and parts of book 6.  I am hoping that since they know it is cancelled that they will be able to do some level of justice to the final 3 books.

So finished book 8 - Book 9 (last one) is scheduled for Oct 2021.

I'm about to start watching the show.

Hopefully there are a few changes, or is it 100% faithful to the books?

No show spoilers please if it's different!   (thumbsu

God Damn.

It's almost word for word from the books.

And the casting - I 'recognised' Holden, Nagata, Amos and Alex before they spoke. Perfect choices.

Thomas Jane nails Miller already.

I can see why you all raved about it.

I'm on annual leave, I have a huge coffee pot on a hard burn and I'm binging!

Great show!

1 hour ago, Beige said:

God Damn.

It's almost word for word from the books.

And the casting - I 'recognised' Holden, Nagata, Amos and Alex before they spoke. Perfect choices.

Thomas Jane nails Miller already.

I can see why you all raved about it.

I'm on annual leave, I have a huge coffee pot on a hard burn and I'm binging!

Great show!

I have not read the books.  But from what I hear several characters get merged, and some alterations are made to the plot.  I know that book 3 gets significantly shortened. I am assuming that books 7 to 9 will need to be majorly condensed or changed to reach the final endpoint.  the biggest advantage is the book writers are very involved with the show.  So there is hope is will be satisfyingly.

Season One was great.

Defo shortened - Eros was the right place to stop.

Season 2 tomorrow.

Can't wait to see if they do the Eros / Venus / Ring arc.....

17 hours ago, Beige said:

Season One was great.

Defo shortened - Eros was the right place to stop.

Season 2 tomorrow.

Can't wait to see if they do the Eros / Venus / Ring arc.....

Venus and initial ring arc get the most shortened to my knowledge.  The biggest increases are seen with Bobbie and Chrisjen.  I have also heard Drummer is somewhat of a melded character taking the place of several characters from the books.

Yeah on season 2 now -

Spoiler

Johnsons Head guard morphs into Drummer in season 3.

Avasalara finally drops the F bomb - Her bodyguard is a new character - Draper is physically spot on, but can't act.

Millers arc is actually being done better on screen than in the book.

Amos, is just Amos.

Holden is the one I'm struggling the most with - 12 episodes in and he's still Rainbows and Lollypops.

Totally loving the show though - some changes make it better than the books, some worse, so it evens up.

Book 9 is out in 2021 - so I'm a little confused if / how Laconia events take place.

Unless they backflip and add 2 more seasons instead of one?  :wishluck:

14 minutes ago, Beige said:

Yeah on season 2 now -

Hide contents

Johnsons Head guard morphs into Drummer in season 3.

Avasalara finally drops the F bomb - Her bodyguard is a new character - Draper is physically spot on, but can't act.

Millers arc is actually being done better on screen than in the book.

Amos, is just Amos.

Holden is the one I'm struggling the most with - 12 episodes in and he's still Rainbows and Lollypops.

Totally loving the show though - some changes make it better than the books, some worse, so it evens up.

Book 9 is out in 2021 - so I'm a little confused if / how Laconia events take place.

Unless they backflip and add 2 more seasons instead of one?  :wishluck:

People were already saying the time jump (I have not read the books, just heard) may have been very hard in the TV show.  So thinking this is a big change coming. Draper hold her own as season 2 moves along, give her time.  Holden does hit the walls he refer too. 

Just finished the (?1st - depends on where this show goes) Miller arc.

Totally did the book justice.

"You can't take 'The Razorback'. She's Gone.         Gone.                                 Gone."

Brilliant show.

3 hours ago, Beige said:

Just finished the (?1st - depends on where this show goes) Miller arc.

Totally did the book justice.

"You can't take 'The Razorback'. She's Gone.         Gone.                                 Gone."

Brilliant show.

^^

The Expanse season 6 was always going to be the end, says one of the show’s writers. In its first three seasons on Syfy, the sci-fi show based on the book series begun with 2011’s Leviathan Wakes garnered critical acclaim while developing a devoted fan following.

Syfy unfortunately elected to cancel The Expanse after those three strong seasons, leaving a lot of the original book series unadapted. That was when Amazon came swooping to the rescue, picking up the show for season four and later adding a fifth and a sixth season to the order. Recently though, it was revealed that the sixth season would indeed be the last for The Expanse, meaning the show has just two more seasons to wrap up its sprawling interstellar narrative.

It may seem to fans that six seasons won’t be enough to fully tell the story of The Expanse, especially as a new book in the novel series is set to be released, but show and novel writer Ty Franck assures everyone that a six-season arc was always the plan. Speaking during a recent press event, Franck (who co-writes the novels with Daniel Abraham under the pen name James S.A. Corey) explained that he doesn’t really see the show as being canceled but only on pause (via Polygon):

“We have what we think is a very natural pause point for the story after season 6. It’ll feel like a satisfying end to the story we’ve been building over the first five seasons. I think one of the things that is sort of an outmoded idea is the idea of being canceled.”

And in what should come as good news to fans of The Expanse, Franck also indicates that the property could have life on TV or streaming beyond season 6. “Alcon [Television Group] — our studio — is very committed to the IP,” he said, adding “They have lots of plans. We’ll see what happens after that.”

The Expanse returns this week for its fifth season, which we now know will also be the show's penultimate season. Amazon Prime announced in November that it renewed The Expanse for its sixth and final season. This news may have been a cause for some concern among fans of The Expanse novels, the source material for the sci-fi show. The series tells its story over nine books, with each season of the television series telling the tale of approximately one of those novels. Considering that, what could the cancellation coming two-thirds through the overarching story mean for the series and its ending? ComicBook.com spoke to the show's producers, and they say fans have no reason to fret.

"Ty and Daniel and I, a while ago, back when we were on Syfy, we had talked about the different ways this thing could go. And one of them was a six-season framework for it. This was one of the options because there is a natural endpoint of sorts at the end of the sixth book," says showrunner Naren Shankar, referring to (SPOILERS) the 28-year time jump between the sixth and seventh books in The Expanse series of novels. "That was an opportunity. It was something we had talked about for some years, so we were quite prepared for it. It didn't throw us off. We didn't have to radically restructure things."

Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, the authors of The Expanse novels under the shared pseudonym James S.A. Corey, are also executive producers on the television series and were part of our conversation. Abraham said that he felt lucky to know the series would have a season six before worked ended on season five.

"Networks never buy more than one season at a time," Abraham says. "At least they never have with us. You're never guaranteed another season. Finding out that we had a sixth season before the fifth season even aired was great. That's happened to us a couple of times where they bought the next season before the current season aired. And that's really good for planning. That really lets us get a jump on what we want to do there. More than anything, I'm grateful that we got that sixth season order while we were still working, finishing up season five."

The Expanse's fifth and penultimate season debuts this week and brings with it Marco Inaros, the charismatic and compelling Belter leader who has big plans to shake up the balance of power in the galaxy. Introduced in the show's fourth season, Marco is a freedom fighter or terrorist, depending on whom you ask, running a militant splinter faction of the Outer Planets Alliance. He also has a history with Naomi Nagata of the Rocinante. The drastic and deadly actions he takes make it easy to consider him a villain, and many fans think of him as are a reflection of modern politics. ComicBook.com spoke to the series's creators, who say they were taking a longer view of things when they came up with Marco.

"There have been a lot of folks who have looked at Marco Inaros and thought we were making some pointed comment about contemporary political leaders," says Daniel Abraham, co-author of The Expanse novels and executive producer of the television series. "But in point of fact, we were drawing from pre-classical history. It's just that this guy keeps showing up, this charismatic, charming, ambitious, audacious, immoral leader."

Co-author and executive producer Ty Franck adds, "I kept bringing up the power of audacity, that people like Alexander the Great won battles against much, much, much superior, numerically, forces just because he was audacious. He would do things that nobody else would do. He would take risks nobody else would take. And so he was constantly surprising these larger forces. You pull that forward, and you create that character who's just more audacious than everybody else. He's willing to take risks nobody else will take, and people go, 'Oh, that seems like this current thing.' And no, that guy existed 3000 years ago. But, but I think more than anything else, you have to understand why people follow him, and I think the trick of the season was crafting a character that does what we consider terrible things, but you absolutely understand why he has followers. You understand why people are loyal to him. That's the tricky part."