• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weaving the Web: Completing AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Run
4 4

220 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I know it has been awhile since I posted a "real" update but truth is I have been saving $$$ for a "big" book.

However, this past week I had to travel to London, ON for work. So naturally, I looked up shops online and found where Forest City Coins was located.  Website is here: https://forestcitycoins.com/  I was impressed with the wide and interesting selection and how friendly the staff were.  Through conversation, I learned that the store is owned by @thirdgreenham

:whatthe:

Andy was great to talk to and I wish I had more time but had to meet colleagues for dinner. Andy gave me the "boardie price" :smile: on a nice presenting ASM #36 CGC 7.5 to help fill in my run!

59ea088fe129a_ASM36.thumb.jpg.44990d7104080cffe334a0e1283628dd.jpg

Thanks again Andy!

:headbang:  Happy to help and great to meet you and your wife, my friend. :foryou:

I definitely agree that you should never borrow money to purchase comics. I made that mistake and regret doing so. My idea was great when the Alberta economy was booming. I buy a book, flip it for a profit that is enough to pay the credit and I still pocket some money. Then the economy takes a downturn and books that I thought were easy sellers are suddenly sitting on my wall rack.

As to the AF 15, I have owned 3 in my collecting years. I always end up selling them for the profitable increase that happens to the book year over year. While I like Spider-man, owning his books has never been a priority for me.

I do think you will have to make the purchase in an all at once fashion as the saving route will take a long time, and the price of the book just continues to climb at a rapid pace.

The last copy I owned was a CGC 3.0 that presented really well. I bought it for $6200 and sold it 2 months later for $7500. Now here we are just 4 years later and the books GPA is $18,000 USD!

af15.jpg

53 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I definitely agree that you should never borrow money to purchase comics. I made that mistake and regret doing so. My idea was great when the Alberta economy was booming. I buy a book, flip it for a profit that is enough to pay the credit and I still pocket some money. Then the economy takes a downturn and books that I thought were easy sellers are suddenly sitting on my wall rack.

As to the AF 15, I have owned 3 in my collecting years. I always end up selling them for the profitable increase that happens to the book year over year. While I like Spider-man, owning his books has never been a priority for me.

I do think you will have to make the purchase in an all at once fashion as the saving route will take a long time, and the price of the book just continues to climb at a rapid pace.

The last copy I owned was a CGC 3.0 that presented really well. I bought it for $6200 and sold it 2 months later for $7500. Now here we are just 4 years later and the books GPA is $18,000 USD!

af15.jpg

The cost of an AF #15 is quite daunting and it may very well be a pipe dream.

I question this quest all the time, but then I pick up an issue of ASM and I am "reinvested".  Hindsight is 20/20...When I started working after university and had no significant expenses other than low interest student loan,  I should have just gotten another loan and bought one lol

Now with house, car and all of the other hobbies I have (mostly involving the outdoors), I do wonder if it will ever bear out...But I am 26 issues away from ASM proper...

...Gorgeous AF #15 by the way...

9 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

The cost of an AF #15 is quite daunting and it may very well be a pipe dream.

I question this quest all the time, but then I pick up an issue of ASM and I am "reinvested".  Hindsight is 20/20...When I started working after university and had no significant expenses other than low interest student loan,  I should have just gotten another loan and bought one lol

Now with house, car and all of the other hobbies I have (mostly involving the outdoors), I do wonder if it will ever bear out...But I am 26 issues away from ASM proper...

...Gorgeous AF #15 by the way...

Yes it was a very strong 3.0. It had strong colors and no chipping. In hindsight perhaps I should have kept it, but the return I got in just 2 months was a strong selling motivator.

Even if I was to own one today ( I could do it, I would just sell a bunch of books I currently own to do so...just like you ) I would be unlikely to keep it as the value will continue to creep up and in 2 years that CGC 3.0 will probably be $22,000 - $24,000 and I would sell again.

If owning an AF15 is that important to you, you could do it by selling the other books you have. Sell some ASM in the 1-20 range, 50, 100, 121, 122, 129, etc. Whatever you pool from those sales and buy a copy you can afford. Then start working again on re-acquisition of the books you sold. It is my opinion that the year over year value of those books won't increase as much as the AF 15's gain. 1 year from now or 2 years from now you could probably still get a close enough copy of your beautiful ASM 15 as an example for a similar price. ( unless they put Kraven in a movie! )

4 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Yes it was a very strong 3.0. It had strong colors and no chipping. In hindsight perhaps I should have kept it, but the return I got in just 2 months was a strong selling motivator.

Even if I was to own one today ( I could do it, I would just sell a bunch of books I currently own to do so...just like you ) I would be unlikely to keep it as the value will continue to creep up and in 2 years that CGC 3.0 will probably be $22,000 - $24,000 and I would sell again.

If owning an AF15 is that important to you, you could do it by selling the other books you have. Sell some ASM in the 1-20 range, 50, 100, 121, 122, 129, etc. Whatever you pool from those sales and buy a copy you can afford. Then start working again on re-acquisition of the books you sold. It is my opinion that the year over year value of those books won't increase as much as the AF 15's gain. 1 year from now or 2 years from now you could probably still get a close enough copy of your beautiful ASM 15 as an example for a similar price. ( unless they put Kraven in a movie! )

That strategy sounds familiar.  hm

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

There's the rub...I'd rather now sell the ASM's I have acquired so far as I have other non-ASM bronze age keys that I could sell that would definitely help speed along my quest...I have been slowly letting some go so far, it has not stung too bad but I have been letting the "easiest" ones go first, the ones I feel less "attached" to, just taking time to get my mindset right lol

Edited by Wall-Crawler

1 minute ago, Wall-Crawler said:

There's the rub...I'd rather now sell the ASM's I have acquired so far as I have other non-ASM bronze age keys that I could sell that would definitely help speed along my quest...I have been slowly letting some go so far, it has not stung too bad but I have been letting the "easiest" ones go first, the ones I feel less "attached" to, just taking time to get my mindset right lol

what grade of an AF15 are you hoping to get? You might have to move some bigger books to fast track the purchase.

You could also sell other books instead of ASM.

4 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I'd buy your ASM 15. (:

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

what grade of an AF15 are you hoping to get? You might have to move some bigger books to fast track the purchase.

You could also sell other books instead of ASM.

Honestly and realistically, it would be low grade. A CGC 3.0 would be absolute max...No lower than 1.8 and cover MUST be attached...

52 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Honestly and realistically, it would be low grade. A CGC 3.0 would be absolute max...No lower than 1.8 and cover MUST be attached...

1.8 is around $9000

2.0 is around $10,000

2.5 is around $16,000

3.0 is $18,000

Sounds like a 2.0 is best bet for the money as it is quite the jump to 2.5 in GPA.

Sell the books in your signature line, buy the AF15.

Next year work on reacquisition of those books and very likely pay the same price.

The longer you wait the more you will pay for the AF15

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

1.8 is around $9000

2.0 is around $10,000

2.5 is around $16,000

3.0 is $18,000

Sounds like a 2.0 is best bet for the money as it is quite the jump to 2.5 in GPA.

Sell the books in your signature line, buy the AF15.

Next year work on reacquisition of those books and very likely pay the same price.

The longer you wait the more you will pay for the AF15

I appreciate the advice but I will be more inclined to sell other books than those in my sig line books.  I have like two other bronze age books in my collection that I would want to keep, most of the others, I have been starting to let go... 

I came across this listing...Just going to leave this here...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-SPIDERMAN-1-WHITE-PAGES-BEAUTIFUL-My-grade-8-5-CGC-3-5-color-scrape/332430800611?hash=item4d666b76e3:g:JoAAAOSwcqBZu673

"Condition is almost perfect and nearly flawless expect for few imperfections! which is normal for a book 50 years old ! When the publishers sticker was reduced it left a 1/4 color scrape on leg and Tiny tan spots left of the scrape ! Otherwise book looks brand new ! not negotiating price ! If your looking for a high grade book at a low grade price then you've found it ! I grade it 8.5 & Cgc grades is at 3.5 because they have no idea how to grade this beautiful unrestored copy with a "color scrape" and WHITE PAGES with a gleaming BRIGHT COVER! unbelievable beautiful first issue Origin! And it's only $10800.00 not $259,999.00 Original Publishers File Copy with White pages and almost flawless This first issue of Amazing Spiderman .This one is A beautiful bright white pages copy! if not for Cgc grading it 3.5 because of a color scrape on Spiderman leg otherwise it would be a $95,000 copy! it's one of best copy's I've seen! No marvel chipping squared corners! no dog eared corners (I've seen Cgc 8.0 with dog eared corners) this issue has-no creased corners. Looks like the books has bearly been read! If not for the scrap on Spiderman left leg the book could possibly be a 8.5! This book was a publishers file copy with a sticker stuck on the cover! When the sticker was removed it removed two tiny specks of blue color! Otherwise this would be in the $85,000 to $95,000 value range! Cgc has no idea how to classify this book ~grade wise! Imagine a near mint file copy of action one but it has a eraser size scrape off supermans leg! In my opinion it would still be a near mint book and no way would it be Graded as a CGC good! The back cover is just as nice as the front ! I posted a amazing fantasy 15 in 8.0 to show it is not as nice condition as my Amazing Spiderman 1 / Cgc 3.5 except for the color scrape ! The values of issues just keeps going up! It's AMAZING! Amazing fantasy 15 spidermsn issue under different title hits $261k this week and action comics one break $2 million dollars ! This First issue and origin of spidermsn should be equal in value too these soon! Very soon".

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

That guy is clueless, I have seen other auctions listed by him. He says the same things about CGC grading. That book is a 3.5!

I thought the listing was very humorous!

MY Grade 8.5 lol 

IF he hates CGC so much, why does he bother to have them graded? Why bother with that wall o text?  Too funny.

Finally got around to scanning the book I purchased from Andy.

No new updates. Still saving. I have upped my sales game though. While I am not selling any of my ASM's, I am letting go of some of my non-ASM keys. I have sold about $1,000 USD worth in past week and a half.

ASM 36 CGC 7.5.jpg

30 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

No new updates. Still saving. I have upped my sales game though. While I am not selling any of my ASM's, I am letting go of some of my non-ASM keys. I have sold about $1,000 USD worth in past week and a half.

ASM 36 CGC 7.5.jpg

What’s left on your list?

9 hours ago, piper said:

What’s left on your list?

This is what I have left to go still...

Amazing Fantasy #15

Amazing Spider-Man 

#1 - #5,

#7 - #12, #16 - #19, 

#21 - #24, #27, #29,

#30, #32, #33, #35, #37, #38

Total ASM issues to go: 26

Like I said, I have been saving and not really making any purchases...

Edited by Wall-Crawler

8 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

ASM 36 CGC 7.5.jpg

very nice copy.

7 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

This is what I have left to go still...

Amazing Fantasy #15

Amazing Spider-Man 

#1 - #5,

#7 - #12, #16 - #19, 

#21 - #24, #27, #29,

#30, #32, #33, #35, #38

Total ASM issues to go: 26

Like I said, I have been saving and not really making any purchases...

You’ll get it done!

4 4