• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this sketch look like J. Scott Campbell did it?

28 posts in this topic

Here's one that's a bit better, but similar. I know it's legit because I got it myself.

https://mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=26569943

I probably need to reprice it since he's been doing so many of those remarked and more finished head sketches lately for $400-$600. It's probably a bit high.

He sketched it for me sometime in the late 90's early 2000's. I have since acquired a couple of better pieces, so I wasn't really that attached to it anymore.

I wouldn't want it, and I don't think anyone should pay more than $20-30 for it, but I'm leaning more towards it being a legit done in literally 30 seconds quickie.

Also, maybe the 2nd guy saw how much that first one went for and decided it was a good time to sell his. $120 for that one that ended is a bit ridiculous IMO. I'd happily sell one of that low quality for that.

So you buy the fact that these two guys are not related in anyway but both live in the same exact city, both just happen to go to SDCC back in 2007, both are on eBay selling this type of stuff and both held onto these until just now.

No. Maybe they know each other. "Hey Bill, my quickie sketch from JSC we both got when he was on the way to the parking lot that looks like spoon just got over $100 on Ebay".

"Holy spoon, Bob. I'm going to put mine up next week..". They could have gone together. Who knows? All I know is that both of those barely qualify as a sketch and it's crazy what that first one sold for. If I was in a similar situation and a friend of mine that had a similar "sketch" got $100+ for his it would be likely he would tell me about it, and I would also put mine up. Questioning that part of it just seems paranoid. Anyone, anywhere could see that first one on Ebay and make a fake. The fact that they are close together adds to the credibility of these 2 pieces of garbage. Also, I am very sorry if someone here is the owner of either one. I'm sure it was free, and if you can get over $100 for it, good for you.

Also, maybe the 2nd guy saw how much that first one went for and decided it was a good time to sell his. $120 for that one that ended is a bit ridiculous IMO. I'd happily sell one of that low quality for that.

So you buy the fact that these two guys are not related in anyway but both live in the same exact city, both just happen to go to SDCC back in 2007, both are on eBay selling this type of stuff and both held onto these until just now.

Two comic book collectors/sellers in California went to a little comic-con in San Diego in the same year? Does seem outlandish.

I don't know about that listing that the OP posted. I just know that piece is underwhelming by JSC standards. He must have been in a rush to get that sketch done. imo.

It's a "quick" sketch. Probably takes him a minute to do.