• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does anyone else read manga? or is it just me?

11 posts in this topic

do you guys ONLY talk about comics? What ever happened to Japan? I mean...Japan rocks! Their comics (which i am now going to refer to as manga) are so much more gory, humorus, and well interesting than american. No offense...but i would say that i definatly prefer Japanese manga to American comics. What about you? hail.gif please dont come after me with evil swords and [#@$%!!!] from crapy american comic books...I STILL HAVE TO GO TO MY FIRST ANIME CONVENTION!

do you guys ONLY talk about comics? What ever happened to Japan? I mean...Japan rocks! Their comics (which i am now going to refer to as manga) are so much more gory, humorus, and well interesting than american. No offense...but i would say that i definatly prefer Japanese manga to American comics. What about you? hail.gif please dont come after me with evil swords and [#@$%!!!] from crapy american comic books...I STILL HAVE TO GO TO MY FIRST ANIME CONVENTION!

Well this is a comic book message board. yeahok.gif

And yes, Manga is discussed from time to time here and there are fans of it as well. I myself enjoy Manga, my favorite being Osamu Tezuka's Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy). I have the complete collection that was recently re-released by Dark Horse. His stories are very entertaining, full of emotion and action.

I don't know how well you'll be received here though by blurting out that American comics are krap. That is a ridiculous statement in itself as there is such a wide variety of genres, writers and especially artistic styles to choose from as opposed to the typical Manga art style which tends to get boring after a while when seen so often in various stories.

BTW: Welcome to the Boards!

Well, I just read "Samurai Executioner" vol. 1 by Koike and Kojima thinking that it would be a nice read like Lone Wolf and Cub. Other than the 300+ pages of patricide, multiple decapitations and extreme gore, multiple scenes of rape and sexual assault and graphic depictions of children being murdered, it was a great read. tongue.gif

well now i really feel loved....thank you all SSOOOOO much....i do read american comics but i really haven tfound any i like....(the reason i dont like them is just to tick-off my bro) he's like.....obsessive....so yea....i geus i kinda like them. I do like manga more tho. If you like comics....i sugest you try some of CLAMP's books....they are kinda like american comics. Sorry about the "i hate american comics" thing....i just was in a REALLY "im not happy so stay out of my way" mood yesterday. (evil boyfriends! EVIL!) so yea. do you guys have any recomendations for me?

this is also the comic MAGAZINE section... and, specifically, the focus is on magazines published from the mid-60s through mid-80's, with a few exceptions. (mainly because that was the golden age of that format) most of these are not "typical" of american comics and are generally more adult oriented.

personally, i think warren/skywald horror and something like savage sword compares rather favorably to japanese manga.

excluding manga, there have been few magazine size comics published in the the U.S. in the last 20 years other than the Conan series (which died when...?), Heavy Metal, 2001 A.D. (which I guess is really British) the new Vampirella magazine and a few others. Really nothing like the early/mid-70s let's say.

If it's a "dead genre" though, I think it's more because comic retailers don't want to devote the shelf space to it than a lack of potential readers.