• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic D.C. WASHTONE Thread
4 4

169 posts in this topic

OAAW126fc.jpg

...with as many washtones as there are in the War genre, there are surprisingly few in the flagship OAAW title.... this one is a favorite now, and it only recently came to my attention. GOD BLESS,,,

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Okay...not a DC (nor Silver Age), but this Dell book from 1943 is an early example of a grey tone type cover.

War_Stories_8_zpsnhlw3dc8.jpg

.... there's some nice washtones in the GA..... several of the Doc Savage books have very sharp examples. GOD BLESS....

One thing I've noticed about washtones..... there aren't many of them in the Superhero titles.... I can only think of one Batman issue, Detective Comics 239. There are several Sea Devils issues. I think the only GL is # 8....... but it's one of my favorites. GOD BLESS...

GREEN%20LANTERN%208......6.0.jpg

That is odd that all the wash tones were in War comics aside from a few. Here's one of the Sea Devils. I forgot I had that one. My only other is the GI Combat 84, but it's not as nice as the one beaumonts posted.

Showcase_27_zps5qiel6aw.jpg

There are also quite a few in the Funny Animal genre and in the Western and Sci-Fi titles.... but many of those you have to be lucky enough to stumble on to them, as there is no master list or cover indexes to draw from. GOD BLESS...

... it may have been an editorial thing as I don't recall any being on the cover of any Weissinger titles.

Edited by jimjum12

Wait, I did find another (and also have Mystery in Space 55).

Strange Adventures 80

scan0023_zpsuyfcirmf.jpg

.... this is one of my favorites also. GOD BLESS...

.... hopefully Comick1 and Hepcat will share some of their extensive holdings.....

Edited by jimjum12