• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it fair to call a 6.0 "high grade"? posted by richard8158

13 posts in this topic

it's certainly era dependant.

Golden Age: 8.0 and up (for me)

Silver Age: 9.0 and up

Bronze 9.2 and up

Copper: 9.4 and up

Modern: 9.8 and up

also there's high grade and then there's relative high grade.

If a book is notorious tough to find in high grade then a lower grade might be considered "high grade"

I had a Star Spangled War Stories #84 in VF- (7.5) that I considered high grade because it was a key, but there were only 3-4 books on census in higher grade. In that case a 7.5 was "high grade"

even though it was from the Silver age.

Keep in mind the source too. Some eBay sellers will say just about anything to pump up a book that usually doesn't deserve it.

"Wolverine 117 CGC 5.0!!!! Trimpe Wein Romita High Grade!! not CBCS 9.8 9.9 10.0 RARE!!"

Yes I made that up, but you can definitely find equally stupid listings without much effort. I wish eBay did a better job of policing keyword spamming, but I've found that reporting those listings is a total waste of time since they won't take any action 99% of the time.

It is what it is, just keep your internal nonsense filter turned on.

I think it depends on the book. To guys that collect silver or bronze a 6.0 would probably not qualify as a high grade. Here's why----

The over whelming amount of copys that have a 9.8 grade as well as every other grade below.

For example,

A hulk 181 6.0 wouldn't be a high grade because there are literally hundreds of graded copys of that book and a large number of them are 8.0s and up.

Now for golden age that a different story because there are certain books that are so rare with only a handful of copys graded and the highest graded is a 7.5...

So depending on the book and how rare or scarce it is will depict how the given grade is accepted.

I buy golden age. So I have a lot of graded books that range from 4.0-9.2

If it's a very rare book with less than 20 books on the census I'd say a 6.0 or a 7.0 is damn good solid grade. And usually if the book is rare enough, your lucky to find it at all let alone in a 4.0

In no world, even for the rarest of rare books, is 6.0 "high grade." HighEST grade, "high grade for this issue", sure, but not "high grade."

It is mid-grade. It will always have the wear and tear that makes it a 6.0 in the first place (outside of exceptions that prove the rule.)

Technically yes. The grading scale is NG - 10.0 gem mint. So yea a 6.0 would be mid grade. But not if an 8.0 or higher doesn't exist. That 6.0 is highest graded. Right?? And should be considered high grade in reason that the others graded are 2.0 3.0 4.5

Technically yes. The grading scale is NG - 10.0 gem mint. So yea a 6.0 would be mid grade. But not if an 8.0 or higher doesn't exist. That 6.0 is highest graded. Right?? And should be considered high grade in reason that the others graded are 2.0 3.0 4.5

the prettiest girl in your advanced thermodynamics class at MIT probably isn't pretty.

the prettiest girl in your advanced thermodynamics class at MIT probably isn't pretty.

Having taken Electrical Engineering, I assure youthe cute girl in your class becomes gorgeous. It's all relative!

Where does "high grade" begin?

I was looking on ebay yesterday and saw 6.0 and 6.5 copies of GI Combat advertised as high grade. I never thought of anything below 7.5 or 8.0 as high grade. I'd be curious to know how others see this designation as well.

See more journals by richard8158

The concept of "high grade" is not era specific, nor is it individual comic specific. A 6.0 might be the highest graded for a particular comic book but 6.0 is still a mid grade designation. An 8.0 is high grade regardless of whether it's a GA book or a modern book.I know some will disagree and that's fine. Also, just because an ebay seller calls a 6.0 "high grade" doesn't really mean anything.

putting on my "absolute" hat for a moment and then pulling on my "literal| pants...

If there is only high grade and low grade then technically a 6.0 would fall into high grade :D

Add Mid-grade and it falls into midgrade (even if it is the highEST graded)

it technically is never low grade even if it is a modern book that only exists in 9.8 everywhere else. Still mid-grade. unless you live in a bi-polar world, then it is still high grade as opposed to low grade.

In no world, even for the rarest of rare books, is 6.0 "high grade." HighEST grade, "high grade for this issue", sure, but not "high grade."

It is mid-grade. It will always have the wear and tear that makes it a 6.0 in the first place (outside of exceptions that prove the rule.)

Exactly.

A 6.0 has a certain amount of wear that makes it a 6.0 and 6.0 is, by definition, is mid grade.

I can go through Overstreet guides dating back decades and not find a reference in their grading descriptions to a 6.0 being high grade, and that's because it isn't.

Calling it high grade is silly and inaccurate

I agree it's midgrade, Im just saying if you were dividing up 100 books into two piles:

-high grade

-low grade

you'd put it in the high grade pile yes?

No. I'd have three piles. :makepoint:

Not trying to be argumentative here. This is one of those hot button issues for me personally. When anyone calls a mid grade comic, high grade, I have to call BS on it.