• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing posted by richard8158

13 posts in this topic

Is it good or bad?

I have never had a comic pressed before so I decided to conduct an experiment. I took 4 comics that in my opinion were no higher than 4.0-5.5 (and ones that I didn't particularly care about either), had them pressed and graded. They all came back as 7.0s. I know that this is a sensitive subject for some collectors, but I don't really see a downside when it comes to pressing. I have had books stored for years in boxes and looked as though they had been pressed. I don't know much about the process but apparently if it is done right, you can't even tell that it was done. It seems to be gaining acceptance as well. The pictured comic was mailed to me in a soft mailer with no cardboard or support of any kind. It was bent all over but not creased and looked horrible. Thoughts?

17316.jpg

See more journals by richard8158

What's up Richard!

Thanks for your journal entry.

I am 100% for pressing...if...it is perfromed with careful precision.

I have experienced both ups and downs with my 4 + years of pressing experience through CCS.

However, to end on a positive note, my ASM #129 CGC 9.8 WP that you see displayed in my recent journal post was actually a CGC 9.6 WP copy before Matt Nelson of CCS pressed it!

So you can see the "value" in pressing with 1) the right candidate and 2) the correct pressing technique applied for each specific book.

I wish you the best of luck in strengthening your G.I. Combat Set!

The X-Men #105 had a bad crease down the middle and I was able to press it out. I have made a lot of books look a lot better by pressing and will continue to do so.

100_4657_zpsfxoa2o3o.jpg

Here's another book I fixed.

100_1883_zpsrhsp9xnb.jpg

100_1887_zpscjo3dt4r.jpg

Hey professor,

Did you ever worry that your comic might come back with a lower grade? I have a few old labels that I thought about sending in for pressing and regrading but am nervous about messing with good grades in the effort for better ones. I think CGC has gotten more strict over the years.