• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearances in Marvel Comic Magaines
4 4

Comics Mags or Comics?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Comics Mags or Comics?

57 posts in this topic

A lot of important characters to the Marvel Universe have made their first debuts in comic magazines. Often, that character's continuity in the universe doesn't coincide with their comic book equivalent. That made me curious; what is more important, a characters 1st appearance in comic mag or comic book?

Comic themed magazines can still be a part of the comic universe continuity.

I vote for the first app, wherever it occurs. I don't subscribe to "first comic book appearance" wildly_fanciful_statement when the true first app is in a magazine, as is the case with Starlord and Rocket Raccoon. Hulk 271 is the 2nd appearance of RR. Marvel Spotlight (vol2) # 6 is the 2nd appearance of Starlord.

I vote for the first app, wherever it occurs. I don't subscribe to "first comic book appearance" wildly_fanciful_statement when the true first app is in a magazine, as is the case with Starlord and Rocket Raccoon. Hulk 271 is the 2nd appearance of RR. Marvel Spotlight (vol2) # 6 is the 2nd appearance of Starlord.

Curious, would you consider a character's true first appearance in a book or pulp as their first appearance? Or does it have to be drawn along with the story - not just cover art. Conan and the Shadow come to mind as possibilities...

Curious, would you consider a character's true first appearance in a book or pulp as their first appearance? Or does it have to be drawn along with the story - not just cover art. Conan and the Shadow come to mind as possibilities...

A pulp or book is a different animal than a comic book story, so no. And when you get right down to it, comic magazines are just larger format comic books. Look at Marvel Preview, or Epic Illustrated, for example. They are comic books only bigger. Not to mention that comic book publishers referred to their comics are "Comic Magazines" for decades. When you take that into account, the distinction between comic "book" and comic "magazine" seems even less important. Less important to me anyway. I know some will not agree with that.

In the case or Rocket (Rocky) Raccoon, some people consider the Marvel Preview character to be a prototype. However, most of the collecting community doesn't feel that way. Neither does Overstreet or CGC.

That may change over time as opinions change however it's not the majority case right now.

A pulp or book is a different animal than a comic book story, so no. And when you get right down to it, comic magazines are just larger format comic books. Look at Marvel Preview, or Epic Illustrated, for example. They are comic books only bigger. Not to mention that comic book publishers referred to their comics are "Comic Magazines" for decades. When you take that into account, the distinction between comic "book" and comic "magazine" seems even less important. Less important to me anyway. I know some will not agree with that.

To me, apart from the size, exactly the same material and so no difference. On par with each other.

More people need to be collecting the Previews magazine. Tons of 1st appearances in those if we are going to start considering these magazines as 1st appearances.

People do know these Foom magazines are not comic books, correct? I get the 1st Rocket Raccoon because of the comic book story. But this Foom magazine is just full of articles and ads, not comics.

Edited by rjrjr

for some reason Marvel started putting this at the top of the front cover of their flagship title back in November of 1961... :)

ru0ryv.jpg