• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspicious Batman #1 on Ebay
5 5

149 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I recall the name but not the incident.  Refresh my memory please. 

I might not have all the info completely correct, but here goes. So a buyer got scammed 4000 from Alley Bat. Then the scammer threatened to sue everyone. Buyer got money back and there was a criminal investigation. That’s what I got from skimming through the thread

Edited by Comics181

58 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Well they do it with baseball bats and jerseys making them into sports cards so.....(shrug)

That’s  a good point - never considered that... the same questions arise though... 

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I recall the name but not the incident.  Refresh my memory please. 

This was before your time.  Back in 2008 a boardie calling himself AlleyBat (subsequently came back as multiple shill accounts - just take a look at the HOS roster to see them all) sold Batman #1 to one of our veteran boardies (I don't recall who it was, maybe FT88 or Filter81 (shrug)).  The buyer went to the post office to pick up the package and noticed it was lighter than he anticipated it would be.  He subsequently asked the postmaster of that branch to witness the opening of the package which ultimately contained junk and no Bats #1.  I believe the buyer ultimately received his money back after threats of lawsuits but it was another example of blatant fraud while using the US postal system.  

On 1/2/2023 at 9:49 AM, Barth said:

Seems legit. Looked at their other auctions and all seem to use the same backdrop in photos that at least tells me the person is in possession of the actual item. Their feedback would also indicate a legit seller. With the amount of transactions the seller has, I doubt they would ruin their own reputation for 13k.

On 1/2/2023 at 9:46 PM, B2D327 said:

Seems legit. Looked at their other auctions and all seem to use the same backdrop in photos that at least tells me the person is in possession of the actual item. Their feedback would also indicate a legit seller. With the amount of transactions the seller has, I doubt they would ruin their own reputation for 13k.

…more like 11k after fees

On 1/2/2023 at 6:48 PM, B2D327 said:

…more like 11k after fees

I thought the fee is capped at like $750 after the item sells for like $10-20k.. not sure if that's still around

Edited by littledoom

On 1/2/2023 at 10:31 PM, littledoom said:

I thought the fee is capped at like $750 after the item sells for like $10-20k.. not sure if that's still around

I was being facetious but still a significant chunk will get deducted and fees may be charged by banks, irs, etc. Still not worth the hit to a seller’s reputation after building trust in a community for an extended amount of time imo