• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

This deleted scene seems to show Zod and company still alive after having been defeated (in superman 2, I mean, not MoS):

It's an alternate cut that was not used in the theatrical release.

ABC TV version of Superman II

In 1984, when Superman II premiered on television, 24 minutes were re-inserted into the film (17 minutes on ABC). Much of the extra footage was directed by Richard Donner. In the ABC-TV version, a U.S. "polar patrol" is shown picking up the three Kryptonians and Lex Luthor at the end of the film. Without this ending, it appears that Superman has let the Kryptonians die, though Superman has a strict code against killing and their deaths aren't necessary once they are depowered. On the other hand, the theatrical version's ending implies that Luthor is left stranded at the Fortress of Solitude, leaving the viewer to wonder how he got to prison in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace — that question was answered in the extended versions where Superman reverses the rotation of the Earth where one of the things he does involves preventing Lex Luthor from escaping from prison. The ending of the extended cuts also has Superman, with Lois standing beside him, destroying the Fortress of Solitude.

There's also another ending.

The three Kryptonian villains are arrested in the TV version. In The Richard Donner Cut, Superman reversed the rotation of the Earth to keep the three Kryptonian criminals from being freed from the Phantom Zone.

This deleted scene seems to show Zod and company still alive after having been defeated (in superman 2, I mean, not MoS):

"Arctic Patrol?" That scene is so dumb and it was a good call cutting it out of the movie.

"Arctic Patrol?" That scene is so dumb and it was a good call cutting it out of the movie.

Although the video on Youtube is titled 'Arctic Patrol', supposedly the scene is referred to as 'Polar Patrol'.

Superman II 'Polar Patrol'

And they take this very serious. Plus, they participate in community events for the indigenous locals. Here is one scene where they conducted an on-the-water concert.

AG8Vz3K.png

In going back and researching Zack Snyder's take on Pa Kent, I happened across 'The Bible of Zack Snyder', a site where fans of the director discuss his work. Someone did a good job of summarizing the intent of the scene.

Character Spotlight: Jonathan “Pa” Kent in MAN OF STEEL

fWWdsdJ.gif

Without Jonathan Kent, it’s difficult to imagine how exactly the world would turn out on the on-set of General Zod’s attack on the Planet Earth. While we, as an audience, do not see Jonathan and his wife, Martha (Diane Lane) find Clark, we see pieces of Clark’s childhood with his adoptive parents, and see Jonathan’s perspective on Clark’s secret: at no cost, now, can Clark reveal himself because the world is not ready.

When Clark saves a bus full of children as a child, a Smallville resident tells Martha she believes it to be an act of God or something greater while outside instead of greeting Clark with approval and praise for saving his classmates, Jonathan more or less tells him that he should have let them die. Whoa! That doesn’t sound like a sugar-coated comic book origin does it? Well it’s not - it’s a realistic example of a father sticking to his beliefs, and to his fear of a future where Clark is exposed, taken, and held at an early age so that the world may never get to experience his gifts. A world where a tyrant from a dead planet could come and conquer, because at that point a boy named Clark Kent would be too shunned and feared to have any reason to save these people.

A constant theme through Man of Steel is fathers and the concept of destiny and fate, and nothing personifies that in a character more than [what] Kevin Costner did with Jonathan Kent - a man not only bent on protecting his son, but bent of protecting the world through his son.

Kind of make’s Clark’s church visit in the film just that much more important.

So a father's sacrifice teaches his son that the needs of others comes above self - no matter if it means your death.

hm

In going back and researching Zack Snyder's take on Pa Kent, I happened across 'The Bible of Zack Snyder', a site where fans of the director discuss his work. Someone did a good job of summarizing the intent of the scene.

fWWdsdJ.gif

Without Jonathan Kent, it’s difficult to imagine how exactly the world would turn out on the on-set of General Zod’s attack on the Planet Earth. While we, as an audience, do not see Jonathan and his wife, Martha (Diane Lane) find Clark, we see pieces of Clark’s childhood with his adoptive parents, and see Jonathan’s perspective on Clark’s secret: at no cost, now, can Clark reveal himself because the world is not ready.

When Clark saves a bus full of children as a child, a Smallville resident tells Martha she believes it to be an act of God or something greater while outside instead of greeting Clark with approval and praise for saving his classmates, Jonathan more or less tells him that he should have let them die. Whoa! That doesn’t sound like a sugar-coated comic book origin does it? Well it’s not - it’s a realistic example of a father sticking to his beliefs, and to his fear of a future where Clark is exposed, taken, and held at an early age so that the world may never get to experience his gifts. A world where a tyrant from a dead planet could come and conquer, because at that point a boy named Clark Kent would be too shunned and feared to have any reason to save these people.

A constant theme through Man of Steel is fathers and the concept of destiny and fate, and nothing personifies that in a character more than [what] Kevin Costner did with Jonathan Kent - a man not only bent on protecting his son, but bent of protecting the world through his son.

So a father's sacrifice teaches his son that the needs of others comes above self - no matter if it means your death.

hm

The scene as shown in the film is badly written. We all know Clark could have and should have saved Jonathan.

In one of the several threads that were actively going on at the time of Man of Steel in theaters, articles started coming out about the Easter Eggs spread throughout the film. Zack Snyder really went all-out.

Every Hidden Easter Egg in MAN OF STEEL

Wayne Enterprises Satellite

tumblr_moig5tj24T1qdzgcno1_1280.jpg

Booster Gold's Blaze Comics

blaze-comics-man-of-steel.jpg

Sullivan's Truck & Tractor Repair (noted for Chloe Sullivan in 'Smallville'

man-of-steel-sullivan.jpg

Zod lead scientist Jax-Ur's crime of destroying Wegthor moon (the reason Krypton abandoned spaceflight and ran out of resources)

krypton-sky.png

Colonel Nathan Hardy who becomes Guardian

man-of-steel-christopher-meloni.jpg

The scene in the church is a curious one as well.

I liked it. But what I didn't realize at the time was it was another Easter Egg.

Father Leone

Jesus-Praying-in-the-Garden.png

In one scene, Clark goes to a church and talks to a priest named Father Daniel Leone, played by Coburn Goss. In the comics, Leone is a recurring character and confidant of Superman at the pastor of the "Sacred Heart Church" in Metropolis. He first appears in Superman #204 (2004).

And I forgot about this one.

Aaron Solinski appearance

Aaron_Smolinski-Man-of-Steel-cameo.jpg

Jim Bowers, from Caped Wonder, posted to his Facebook page: "There is going to be a cameo by a classic Superman movie actor in Man of Steel. Care to guess who?" At first everyone thought it was Christopher Reeve, but in fact it's Aaron Smolinski who has a cameo as an Air Force Communications Officer. Smolinski first played Baby Kal-El in Superman (1978) and went on to appear in Superman II and Superman III.

A fairly verbose piece which condenses down to 'Superman has killed, several times, in the comic books'.

If you already know that, the scene in the film isn't surprising or shocking.

A fairly verbose piece which condenses down to 'Superman has killed, several times, in the comic books'.

If you already know that, the scene in the film isn't surprising or shocking.

Much more concise than the article (thumbs u

I would've gone with... "Because he's not Batman".

fWWdsdJ.gif

hm

The scene as shown in the film is badly written. We all know Clark could have and should have saved Jonathan.

Agreed. That scene was silly.

Agreed as well -- his death was one of the weaker moments in the film for me. That, the "video game" violence, and the fact that Lois got to go everywhere "because of plot" were the big detractors for me.

(Oh, and the rom-com "Welcome to the Planet!" final scene when their city is in ruins and so many are dead. Completely tone deaf.)

Positives were the actors in general (who really helped an uneven -script), the female baddie, the Krypton effects, and the sense of Superman as someone trying to figure himself out. Ambitious movie, to be sure.

Dan

I just wanted big, massive battles, and I got them, so I loved it. Before this film, the best Superman fight in movie history was Neo vs. Agent Smith in "Matrix: Revolutions," so this film finally gave us great Superman battles that were actually in a Superman movie. :taptaptap:

Agreed as well -- his death was one of the weaker moments in the film for me. That, the "video game" violence, and the fact that Lois got to go everywhere "because of plot" were the big detractors for me.

(Oh, and the rom-com "Welcome to the Planet!" final scene when their city is in ruins and so many are dead. Completely tone deaf.)

Positives were the actors in general (who really helped an uneven -script), the female baddie, the Krypton effects, and the sense of Superman as someone trying to figure himself out. Ambitious movie, to be sure.

Dan

This sums up Man of Steel from my perspective nicely. I think I initially scored the film 7 out of 10, but as we're coming up on 3 years since its release, I would probably give it 6 out of 10. I am really hoping Snyder learned from his mistakes and that BvS turns out to be a really good film.

I just wanted big, massive battles, and I got them, so I loved it. Before this film, the best Superman fight in movie history was Neo vs. Agent Smith in "Matrix: Revolutions," so this film finally gave us great Superman battles that were actually in a Superman movie. :taptaptap:

That definitely came through with Man of Steel. A massive fight that could easily have gone either way - if not for the need for future Superman movies.

(:

I can watch Faora taking on Superman repeatedly, and it never gets boring. The same for when she takes on the Special Operations soldiers and Guardian/Colonel Hardy.

:whee: