• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

Looking back at this movie now we've seen BvS and Suicide Squad from the DCU, I have to say how good Man of Steel was.

It clearly stands top of the pile of the 3 movies which is why I worry about DC.

The films have dropped in quality, BvS extended is enjoyable enough but too much going on that the theatrical cut fell short and Suicide Squad was just a dreadful mess of a movie.

The key date is November 17, 2017 when the Justice League movie debuts. That has to do very good at the box office.

I hope so as I like an alternative to Marvel movies,as competition is good.

:wishluck:

I would say all hopes hinge on Wonder Woman to be honest.

Latest rumours are that both movies are a mess.

After the success of Suicide Squad I stopped listening to rumors.

success rhymes with mess, otherwise they've got little in common when it comes to box office performance. SS and BVS both short-listed for Razzie Worst Movies of the Year for a reason.

Because there are a bunch of Marvel fanboys that can't stand successful DC movies? (shrug)

Looking back at this movie now we've seen BvS and Suicide Squad from the DCU, I have to say how good Man of Steel was.

It clearly stands top of the pile of the 3 movies which is why I worry about DC.

The films have dropped in quality, BvS extended is enjoyable enough but too much going on that the theatrical cut fell short and Suicide Squad was just a dreadful mess of a movie.

The key date is November 17, 2017 when the Justice League movie debuts. That has to do very good at the box office.

success rhymes with mess, otherwise they've got little in common when it comes to box office performance. SS and BVS both short-listed for Razzie Worst Movies of the Year for a reason.

Because there are a bunch of Marvel fanboys that can't stand successful DC movies? (shrug)

The same folks that recommended BvS for the Razzies also included Ben Affleck. If they were to think back to actually seeing the movie, Ben Affleck was not the issue with the Theatrical Release. Far from it.

How did 'Apocalypse' not make the top of the list? The movie was pulled 4-5 weeks ahead of schedule, it did so poorly.

The same folks that recommended BvS for the Razzies also included Ben Affleck. If they were to think back to actually seeing the movie, Ben Affleck was not the issue with the Theatrical Release. Far from it.

How did 'Apocalypse' not make the top of the list? The movie was pulled 4-5 weeks ahead of schedule, it did so poorly.

I think the Quicksilver scene narrowly saved Xmen.

I don't believe Suicide Squad should be on the list, its mediocre+. BvS was awful compared to expectations, but not explicitly awful IMO. London Has Fallen, wasn't great, but gave you EXACTLY what you expected, which is fine.

The two worst movies I saw this year EASILY were Gods of Egypt and the Divergent movie. But Gods of Egypt is so bad its almost entertaining. The Divergent movie is not. Its just awful.

The two worst movies I saw this year EASILY were Gods of Egypt and the Divergent movie. But Gods of Egypt is so bad its almost entertaining. The Divergent movie is not. Its just awful.

And now you know why someone posted to Gerard Butler about paying off an old student loan.

114649.jpg

lol

Gods of Egypt was so horrible, it is disrespectful to 'horrible' to call it that.

Again, I am not sure how articles like this can be substantiated, but this article just came out about WW.

http://movieweb.com/wonder-woman-movie-insider-review-disaster-mess/

"So, I don't want to throw anyone under the bus. We have somebody within our community who has gotten insider information that broke my effing heart this week, because I have tremendous belief that Wonder Woman is gonna be awesome and I heard it stinks from the same person who told me that they heard that BvS stinks...The person who I spoke to...their response was 'I'm very disappointed in what I saw, and it seems like all the problems are the same problems. It's discombobulated, it doesn't have narrative flow. It's just very disjointed."

Please let this be someone just talking out their backside, as that would be heart-breaking after all these decades to finally have a Wonder Woman film - and it fails.

Now this is under the Geoff Johns regime, as he spent quite a bit of time in the UK to personally observe filming.

Again, I am not sure how articles like this can be substantiated, but this article just came out about WW.

Suicide Squad had a lukewarm reception? These "articles" are just opinions, like much of news is today unfortunately. But, it won't stop someone from quoting it as gospel.

Suicide Squad had a lukewarm reception? These "articles" are just opinions, like much of news is today unfortunately. But, it won't stop someone from quoting it as gospel.

movieweb is definitely one of the worst when it comes to 'reporting', with eye-catching but pretty much fake headlines at least half the time.

But seriously, everyone go make some sangria and watch Gods of Egypt. Take a drink every time you feel pity for the actor who plays Jamie Lannister. (I feel no pity for Gerard Butler, only contempt).

movieweb is definitely one of the worst when it comes to 'reporting', with eye-catching but pretty much fake headlines at least half the time.

But seriously, everyone go make some sangria and watch Gods of Egypt. Take a drink every time you feel pity for the actor who plays Jamie Lannister. (I feel no pity for Gerard Butler, only contempt).

Gods of Egypt has been playing on HBO and I've watched it a few times already. :blush: Admittedly, it is pretty bad. I'll also admit, I watch many of the garbage movies on the SciFi channel too. They are so bad, they are funny.

Ben Affleck is in there for two films Live By Night and Batman Vs. Superman. Both films were rotten.

The thing is the last three DC films have been .

1. Man of Steel impressive visual eye candy missing much of a story

2. Batman Vs. Superman - same thing as Man of Steel, but jumping around so much that there is even less of a plot I could follow the story just fine, but I read the comics

3. Suicide Squad - Even worse then BvS little to no plot, the worst looking villain in years though Dormomu from Strange may have just won that category, and too many side stories taking away from the main story

Here is the key factor is the public is getting worn out on comic films and the critics are just going to state it

I suspect critics and the public will like gotg 2 and spidey

Just give the people what they want.

I love when DC appreciation threads come up. It brings out the best in Marvelites.

lol

Man of Steel impressive visual eye candy missing much of a story

Are you kidding? For years people complained about Superman movies never matching the threat of Superman II. Then Zod comes back, and not only forces Superman into a deathmatch, but also threatens the entire planet's existence.

I mean, Clark could have hit him with a zinger to throw off any actions like, "DANCE OFF - YOU AND ME, BRO!" He totally missed out.

(:

Man of Steel, had moments here and there making it a solid enough movie, until it collapsed in on it's self during the climax of too much CG spectacle.

Batman V Superman is way too cold and cynical to be considered a comic book movie. It had plenty of wonder, but I figured out what it was missing... a sense of humor. Why so serious?

Suicide Squad, wasn't as bad as BVS. It was like an accident on the road you drive by. You know you shouldn't watch, but cannot help yourself.

But, the biggest thing of all is when you finish all three of these movies, you don't really need to ever watch them again.

I remember wanting to re-watch "Guardians of the Galaxy" right after viewing it for the first time.

I saw "The Matrix" on a matinee showing on Friday. I went to the very next show. I went again on Sunday even. Then a week later with friends.

Saw Iron Man & The Dark Knight a couple times as well.

I guess what I am saying is that I have no urge to go out of my way to see or buy anymore DC movies, unless they get good reviews from now on. I like to say, I have my own taste in movies, but they have been right lately with these hundred-plus million dollar budgeted clunkers.

I'm sick of buying the swampland, they put out in shiny-new million dollar properties.

I love when DC appreciation threads come up. It brings out the best in Marvelites.

lol

Are you kidding? For years people complained about Superman movies never matching the threat of Superman II. Then Zod comes back, and not only forces Superman into a deathmatch, but also threatens the entire planet's existence.

I mean, Clark could have hit him with a zinger to throw off any actions like, "DANCE OFF - YOU AND ME, BRO!" He totally missed out.

(:

A marvelite hahaha! Not even close. I am just a person who sees on average 2 to 3 films a week in the theater. Have come to realize Hollywood is really producing bad films and turning the average movie goer into a mindless zombie who will see anything Hollywood tells them to.

For me it is simple when watching and ranking films there are categories.

1. Worth buying for repeat views aka Seven Samurai, Mad Max Fury Road, Phantom Boy

2. Worth watching once in the theater, but a repeat view film loses a lot of the glory aka a popcorn flick aka Jurassic Park,

3. Worth watching once at home if on tv don't waste your money aka Man of Steel, Hidden Figures

4. Avoid the film like a plague aka Suicide Squad, Captain America Civil War

Critics usually get it right because they have a mind that has not been corrupted . Oh wait I am a critic

Edited by Goldeneye

lol

(:

A marvelite hahaha! Not even close. I am just a person who sees on average 2 to 3 films a week in the theater. Have come to realize Hollywood is really producing bad films and turning the average movie goer into a mindless zombie who will see anything Hollywood tells them to.

1. Worth buying for repeat views aka Seven Samurai, Mad Max Fury Road, Phantom Boy

2. Worth watching once in the theater, but a repeat view film loses a lot of the glory aka a popcorn flick aka Jurassic Park,

3. Worth watching once at home if on tv don't waste your money aka Man of Steel, Hidden Figures

Critics usually get it right because they have a mind that has not been corrupted . Oh wait I am a critic

Did you mean Jurassic World? If so, I get it. After one viewing - which was fun - I didn't really need to see it again.

Meanwhile, with Man of Steel there are plenty of folks that appreciate this movie and have watched it multiple times. That's not you. And that's fine.

I wonder though if movies become a job does it also start to feel like a grind after a while getting through them? I mean, there are movies that make it a pleasure to go. But the average movie....

lol

(:

Did you mean Jurassic World? If so, I get it. After one viewing - which was fun - I didn't really need to see it again.

Meanwhile, with Man of Steel there are plenty of folks that appreciate this movie and have watched it multiple times. That's not you. And that's fine.

I wonder though if movies become a job does it also start to feel like a grind after a while getting through them? I mean, there are movies that make it a pleasure to go. But the average movie....

Oh I understand people like this film, but outside of Snyder's outstanding cinematography and eye pleasing special effects there was nothing special about this film.

As far as reviewing movies as a job the best ones are when you go into what you believe is an average film with no expectations and walk out surprised. With big budget films people have high expectations and get let down a lot easier. The issue right now is that with the number of comic films that have come out most seem average at best.

As far as Jurassic Park I have fallen asleep every time I have tried to watch the film since the first time I have seen the film.

Edited by Goldeneye

"So, I don't want to throw anyone under the bus. We have somebody within our community who has gotten insider information that broke my effing heart this week, because I have tremendous belief that Wonder Woman is gonna be awesome and I heard it stinks from the same person who told me that they heard that BvS stinks...The person who I spoke to...their response was 'I'm very disappointed in what I saw, and it seems like all the problems are the same problems. It's discombobulated, it doesn't have narrative flow. It's just very disjointed."

That was the brother-in-law of someone who knows the Janitor, right? ;)

Gods of Egypt has been playing on HBO and I've watched it a few times already. :blush: Admittedly, it is pretty bad. I'll also admit, I watch many of the garbage movies on the SciFi channel too. They are so bad, they are funny.

+1 lol

And the Horror Channel.

I like this thread. It's been far too quiet recently.

...Batman V Superman is way too cold and cynical to be considered a comic book movie. It had plenty of wonder, but I figured out what it was missing... a sense of humor. Why so serious? ...

Nice one giggle.gif

But I have to say, that's why I liked it. I enjoyed the dark tone to the movie. Then again, I'm just a grumpy old bas.....