• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: How do you look for books ebay?

I look for books on ebay by:  

402 members have voted

1. 1. I look for books on ebay by:

35 posts in this topic

Eh, Sonny-boy...back in the good old days when ebay was just a pup you could search every new listing in the Comic category in half an hour or so as there would only be 25 total pages of comic auctions! These days such a feat would be next to impossible and I was wondering how most people look for books on ebay.

I was going to click A but I went with C(other)....

This is my search on Sunday and Thursday....

[*]Comics Newly Listed BIN (silver and bronze)

[*]Comics Ending Today All items (silver, bronze then gold)

[*]Amazing Stories Newly Listed

[*]Prefered Searches ie: bronze then silver keys

This is my search any other day:

[*]Comics Ending Today (silver, bronze then gold)

[*]Amazing Stories Ending Today

Of course I do other searches but the one I listed are my main criteria... wink.gif

"Other" for me as well...

I have 28 "preferred sellers" on my watch list and I check their listings once a day, every day. Once a seller has listed nothing of interest to me for 60 days I take him/her of the list and occassionally a new seller makes the list...

These are all sellers I'm comfortable with, are strict graders, know how to ship securely and safely (and cheaply !) all over the world and most of the time have books I want.

And then of course I buy a lof of stuff from a bunch of forummembers here...

I chose B, because 95% of the time I look for books under "Golden Age Horror" or "Golden Age Crime". But sometimes I'll also do a search for an artist I'm particularly interested in(ie, Wally Wood, Al Feldstein).

I WILL search under "cgc" for all comics, then narrow it to just silver or bronze and if I get bored will search silver under nm. Sometimes people list books in the wrong age category so you may see silver books in the wrong place and if you just search under silver cgc you might miss something!

'Other'. I just generally do a 'CGC' search. I'm looking for CGC graded bargains in general as well as a very few specific issues. So I peruse all the CGC auctions and put a few interesting things on my 'watch' list. Then I go back and look at each item on my 'watch' list to see how much it's worth to me. I remove auctions I'm not going to bid on then keep track of auctions and my highest bid on a spreadsheet. I generally go three days forward and quit looking at midnight on the 3rd day. That way I don't keep looking at the same stuff over and over.

Some things that make it MORE likely I will look at a listing:

1. Title of book is spelled correctly and punctuated correctly. (It's 'Spider-Man' not 'SpiderMan')

2. Issue number is specified correctly.

3. If it is not volume 1, or can be ambiguous, then the volume number is specified.

4. CGC numeric grade is listed.

5. Seller has good feedback.

Some things that that make it LESS likely I will look at a listing:

1. Title of the book is obviously wrong. 'Spider-Man' listed when it is actually 'Amazing Spider-Man', etc. Ticks me off.

2. Title of the book is ambiguous or plain wrong. Makes you look at the book to figure it out. 'Peter Parker Spider-Man' is more often 'Spectacular Spider-Man' than 'Peter Parker: Spider-Man'. Drives me nuts.

2. Issue number isn't there.

3. Volume number is missing on titles that have more than 1 volume. After bidding has started it is usually obvious. But sellers do sometimes list low opening bids on expensive books. ie a $9.95 opening bid on an 'Amazing Spider-Man #36'. Which volume is that? BIG difference in value.

4. CGC numeric grade is not listed.

5. Seller has a history of listing VF when it is actually VF- or NM when it is actually NM-.

6. Seller has bad feedback.

B- I'm in bondage to Comics - Golden Age - New Today!

Before eBay I'd only see these books in the Gerber guides or occasionally in ads in CBG or the Payette catalog or at cons. Now, I get to see a wide variety of these books on a daily basis, provided I invest about an hour a day to keep up! I'll max out my 30 items watching, and then place low-ball proxy bids to keep track of additional auctions on My Ebay. I'm a reluctant sniper, but with the proliferation of sniping software I'm now left with little choice if I want the book.

I also take advantage of My Favorite Searches for certain books that cross over between Golden & Silver ages. Most efficient to cherry pick selected issues of GA/SA Green Lantern or Flash Comics / The Flash. And as someone else mentioned, sometimes a seller will list a book in an unexpected category-- as a buyer, I love it when that happens: less competition and may in fact represent one of those almost-mythical attic-find or estate-find eBay sellers!

Cheers,

Z.

My most popular search usually includes the following. X-men CGC, Batman CGC or any other title I collect. Like a few other mentioned I will simply look under CGC for steals and deals. I also do searches for individual books, IE Batman 368 or X-men 142 CGC.

-Jeremy-

Why'd you choose C? What you listed is a series of searches, which is option A.

I've got about 20-30 searches total I use from time to time, but I have 7 main ones I check daily or semi-daily. Those seven searches are:

• A search for each of the five titles I collect
  • A search for crossover issues featuring the characters from those five titles
  • A Buy-It-Now search for all five of those titles.

Why'd you choose C? What you listed is a series of searches, which is option A.

'cause I could....

I was assuming that DrB. was meaning things like CGC and grade criteria in the search...so I didn't pick A......

Sorry to totally throw off the poll results...I'll go back and click A under my other I.D. to cancel out the skewed results.... crazy.gif

Other for me....

I have a list of saved searches; CGC Thor, Thor, CGC Daredevil, Daredevil, Batman, and Detective. The Thor and CGC Thor I have the results automatically mailed to me daily as they are the two highest priorities in building my collection right now. The DD and Batman books are secondary priorities; those I search manually several times a week. Then, on top of that, I keep a list of preferred sellers and I checik their auction listings every 3 or 4 days for new stuff. Finally, on occasion, I'll bring up all the listings in Comics and search for quirky stuff I'm looking for but only in passing.

C...

For example: justice league of america under COMICS because, as has already been mentioned, people will list Silver JLA under other ages. mad.gif

I may condense further to just 'CGC jla' if I get anymore NM- books that have the staple going through the cover...or pages separating from the center...or the spine is splitting ON BOTH ENDS...or there are lots of non-color breaking spine stress marks...or...or........

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Dogg, hurry! Get me a graemlin that explodes!!!

Rick frown.gif

I had to choose 'A', but I must say none of my saved searches is a 'plain' one.

For example, to select only Amazing Spider-man vol1 comics, you can't count on people spelling spider-man instead of 'spiderman', or on people caring to specify 'vol.1'. Therefore, I will have several saved searches, each of one including a large number of exceptions, such as : '-ultimate, -reprint, -tales, -spectacular,...'

I sort my searches with the newest items first, and each time I go through the results, I click on the item on top of list for it to change colors. By doing this, I know exactly what's new the next time I go through the results of this saved search. wink.gif