• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

Hi, I sell occasionally on eBay and I decided to offer only tracked shipments as from Italy it becomes problematic if a package gets lost.
Recently I sold an italian Marvel book to an US buyer, and the package is taking a bit more than usual. It usually takes 20+ days at worst, but it’s almost a month and the package, checking USPS tracking shows as "Delivered to Agent for Final Delivery" but has not reached the buyer yet.
I sent the buyer a proof of my shipment and I suggested him to contact USPS but he insists in asking me what he should do.
Which would be in your opinion the best way to handle this? Thanks much!

On 11/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, vaillant said:

Hi, I sell occasionally on eBay and I decided to offer only tracked shipments as from Italy it becomes problematic if a package gets lost.
Recently I sold an italian Marvel book to an US buyer, and the package is taking a bit more than usual. It usually takes 20+ days at worst, but it’s almost a month and the package, checking USPS tracking shows as "Delivered to Agent for Final Delivery" but has not reached the buyer yet.
I sent the buyer a proof of my shipment and I suggested him to contact USPS but he insists in asking me what he should do.
Which would be in your opinion the best way to handle this? Thanks much!

As a seller, I always take the initiative to contact USPS and provide the buyer with updates. It goes a long way in creating trust with your buyers. 

On 11/13/2021 at 3:15 PM, Motor City Rob said:

As a seller, I always take the initiative to contact USPS and provide the buyer with updates. It goes a long way in creating trust with your buyers. 

Thanks. From Italy? Who should I call/write to?

Edited by vaillant

On 11/13/2021 at 3:15 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Said this, by an amazing coincidence, I realize that my buyer is the same as 1Cool's: elliota_66, so I’m not feeling so motivated to take an "extra mile" to fix a situation which is not my responsibility to begin with.

On 11/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, vaillant said:

Said this, by an amazing coincidence, I realize that my buyer is the same as 1Cool's: elliota_66, so I’m not feeling so motivated to take an "extra mile" to fix a situation which is not my responsibility to begin with.

Wow. That is definitely an amazing coincidence. I agree that some buyers are just extremely difficult and not worth the time.

On 11/13/2021 at 3:21 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Wow. That is definitely an amazing coincidence. I agree that some buyers are just extremely difficult and not worth the time.

Your advice was very welcome, however, and I thank you for it, as it may be the case (expensive items or the like) to be as serviceable as possible.
So I tried to compile the form to ask for the shipment status on the USPS website, but it does not allow me to complete it as it requires an US phone number / address.
In these cases, maybe, is it possible to contact the USPS service by phone? Worth doing from abroad?

Said this, I personally know Andrew / 1Cool and know how honest he is, so this is not much encouraging on the buyer's part. :(

On 11/9/2021 at 10:12 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Sorry to hear this. Here is a thread where someone tried to send an empty case that was eventually won. May want to read and see if a similar situation could help you prevail. 

This was a PayPal sale that I was fortunate to win. Shoomanfoo is the only scammer I have come across while selling. It's unfortunate that these individuals try to scam others in the hobby.  I have had plenty of successful purchases and sales here on the boards and on eBay.  I won't let one bad apple ruin it for me.  I'm sorry to see that @1Coolgot scammed.  Nobody deserves to be scammed by anyone.  Treat others as you wish to be treated.  It's really not that hard. 

Ran into a situation I actually haven't had before as a buyer, and I'm interested to hear what you all would do. I bought an item (CGC slabbed book) on Nov. 4 at 2:05 pm Central time. It was a best offer situation - I offered, they countered, I accepted. I paid immediately as I do 99% of the time (only time I don't is if I'm in the middle of something else and need to win a book - then I pay asap, usually within an hour or two).

I got a shipping notice on Nov. 6. Since then, it's been at "Shipping label created, USPS awaits item." I contacted the seller yesterday (Nov. 12) at 11:55 am with just a simple message asking for an update since it still shows that USPS hasn't received it for shipping. I've gotten zero response. The seller has 500 feedback and 100% rating, so I'm a bit surprised. Would you wait and contact them again on Monday/Tuesday? Or should I skip the second contact since I haven't heard from them? I think from what I could find on eBay, I have 30 days from the shipping notice to request a refund or file a complaint - correct? Thanks.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:08 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Ran into a situation I actually haven't had before as a buyer, and I'm interested to hear what you all would do. I bought an item (CGC slabbed book) on Nov. 4 at 2:05 pm Central time. It was a best offer situation - I offered, they countered, I accepted. I paid immediately as I do 99% of the time (only time I don't is if I'm in the middle of something else and need to win a book - then I pay asap, usually within an hour or two).

I got a shipping notice on Nov. 6. Since then, it's been at "Shipping label created, USPS awaits item." I contacted the seller yesterday (Nov. 12) at 11:55 am with just a simple message asking for an update since it still shows that USPS hasn't received it for shipping. I've gotten zero response. The seller has 500 feedback and 100% rating, so I'm a bit surprised. Would you wait and contact them again on Monday/Tuesday? Or should I skip the second contact since I haven't heard from them? I think from what I could find on eBay, I have 30 days from the shipping notice to request a refund or file a complaint - correct? Thanks.

Hopefully, it's the post office.

This past April I sold some books that were what you would find in the quarter bin. I printed the label and mailed the books. For the longest time it showed that it only showed that the label was printed but not mailed.

Finally, after a month and with the buyer never receiving them I issued a refund. 2 weeks after that they arrived at the buyer's address.

I also had one that never showed it being mailed, yet I received positive feedback.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I would message them again on Tuesday (tomorrow). I take pride in responding within 24 hours, but I can easily understand someone being swamped throughout the weekend and catching up on Monday. Hopefully they respond today so that you don't have to follow-up.