• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2022 at 11:28 PM, B2D327 said:

CF4F21A6-C020-4611-A0CC-DD340DE32799.thumb.jpeg.028eca96e5d67db6b46b4949f9f4008f.jpegAnyone else get this email recently? What are your thoughts?

Personally, I don’t like the idea of having them come out to see me in person, invading my space and having some stranger all up in my business. The confrontational side of me however, wants to relish in embarrassing someone for the same reasons. I’m torn.

4B99A717-5C8E-4712-8C27-EA6558D9CA2D.gif

$300 is not enough for the inconvenience, Maybe for 1000.

What would the reason for eBay seller to do private listing/auctions? One reason may be to hide shilling but could there be  a legitimate reason? Seems bidder identification is concealed with any auction style listing.  Don’t see many but it grabs my attention when I do.  Thanks in advance! 

Edited by icp004
Typo

On 11/20/2022 at 7:47 PM, icp004 said:

What would the reason for eBay seller to do private listing/auctions? One reason may be to hide shilling but could there be  a legitimate reason? Seems bidder identification is concealed with any auction style listing.  Don’t see many but it grabs my attention when I do.  Thanks in advance! 

Used to be a way to protect the buyer if they didn’t trust the sale outside of eBay or the seller’s accepted form of payment. I’ve done a few transactions for things I had listed on facebook but the buyer felt more comfortable if I set up the sale on eBay because of the rampant scamming on fb

On 11/20/2022 at 9:20 PM, B2D327 said:

Used to be a way to protect the buyer if they didn’t trust the sale outside of eBay or the seller’s accepted form of payment. I’ve done a few transactions for things I had listed on facebook but the buyer felt more comfortable if I set up the sale on eBay because of the rampant scamming on fb

Thanks for the reply.  I’m questioning a  regular auction style listing and not a one on one transaction.  On a auction listing where the seller checks the “private listing” option the bidding is open to the masses and the bid page will look like this:

1E3D342E-4252-4721-B08F-8F0FB98F37C5.jpeg

On 11/21/2022 at 11:26 AM, littledoom said:

The week of Thanksgiving and still no ebucks?! 

Recession no huge sales lol 

On 11/21/2022 at 10:52 AM, Krismusic said:
On 11/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, littledoom said:

The week of Thanksgiving and still no ebucks?! 

Recession no huge sales

I'd imagine they'd wait for black Friday or very least Cyber Monday. Imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, littledoom said:

stimulate it lol.

I’ll try to massage it and maybe later netflix and chill with the economy haha 

On 11/22/2022 at 3:29 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m starting  to think that most watchers are just other sellers that have the same book watching to see what mine sells for.    Not sure why 10 potential buyers would watch an item that has a BO option, and not make an offer.   Why watch it?

100%. 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:29 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m starting  to think that most watchers are just other sellers that have the same book watching to see what mine sells for.    Not sure why 10 potential buyers would watch an item that has a BO option, and not make an offer.   Why watch it?

Excellent point! I do this as a seller. Once I see a listing sells at a decent price I put mine up!

Picked up a book on Ebay - the basic description was Very Good, but no details and no interior pictures. Which was fine, I was ok with the risk as it was just a hole-filler in the collection. However, upon opening, I discovered a small 1/4" split at the bottom that goes through the whole book.

I requested a return (seller does not offer returns) and no response - which I am assuming I'll probably not get one and will have to escalate with Ebay, which isn't a big deal. My question is: even if the book is generically labeled at "very good", wouldn't this kind of defect be significant enough to warrant disclosing?

Grading is subjective etc, so forth - and Ebay is rife with sellers who say "look at the pictures, no returns" - but they have to know that if you're not going to go through the whole book, that leaves you open to some return issues. Unless I'm being unreasonable. I don't feel that I am, but who knows.

I mean, even if it falls within the VG range, it's a pretty significant defect on a book from 1983 and would have opted out of buying it. SA books? Maybe - but a Copper age book with a book-wide split? I'd definitely have passed.

IMG_1674.jpg

On 11/23/2022 at 12:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Picked up a book on Ebay - the basic description was Very Good, but no details and no interior pictures. Which was fine, I was ok with the risk as it was just a hole-filler in the collection. However, upon opening, I discovered a small 1/4" split at the bottom that goes through the whole book.

I requested a return (seller does not offer returns) and no response - which I am assuming I'll probably not get one and will have to escalate with Ebay, which isn't a big deal. My question is: even if the book is generically labeled at "very good", wouldn't this kind of defect be significant enough to warrant disclosing?

Grading is subjective etc, so forth - and Ebay is rife with sellers who say "look at the pictures, no returns" - but they have to know that if you're not going to go through the whole book, that leaves you open to some return issues. Unless I'm being unreasonable. I don't feel that I am, but who knows.

I mean, even if it falls within the VG range, it's a pretty significant defect on a book from 1983 and would have opted out of buying it. SA books? Maybe - but a Copper age book with a book-wide split? I'd definitely have passed.

IMG_1674.jpg

lol it sounds like, he labeled it vg, you took the risk, and because it is vg, you decided he didn't label it such on purpose? :shy: 

It sounds unreasonable. He probably saw the defect, called out the defect as labeling it vg, which is much more than you get from other sellers. I've been there but didn't think I wanted a refund, imo or just me :cheers: 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

IMG_1674.jpg

If the book is accurately graded a VG then I'd not demand a refund especially if the rest of the book looks great and the reason it's a VG is the split.  Unless it's a high value book then I don't see many sellers listing specific defects which bring down the grade.  Missing a page I'd demand a refund but hidden defects like that spine split are part of the grade given.  You may feel the need to give a neutral feedback if you feel it's warranted but a refund seems excessive to me. 

If he didn't post pics of it I understand where you're coming from, and was the non descript very vague? Yes, and was it probably all done on purpose? Likely but thems the breaks 😂

Edited by ADAMANTIUM