• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2022 at 11:30 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol it sounds like, he labeled it vg, you took the risk, and because it is vg, you decided he didn't label it such on purpose? :shy: 

It sounds unreasonable. He probably saw the defect, called out the defect as labeling it vg, which is much more than you get from other sellers. I've been there but didn't think I wanted a refund, imo or just me :cheers: 

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a read on whether I cause him the hassle. If the onus is on me, so be it - lesson learned, and I'll own up to it. I'm not out to screw anyone over for $60. The generic Ebay condition labeling of Good, Very Good, Excellent, New (whatever the scale is) leaves a lot to be desired - he did not have anything in the description regarding the grade. He just used the generic Ebay condition category.

On 11/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, 1Cool said:

You may feel the need to give a neutral feedback if you feel it's warranted but a refund seems excessive to me. 

All good points. I think on a $60 book, I may have expected a little more disclosure (or at least to what I am used to here on the boards) than what is typical on Ebay. Which, I admit - that's part of the wild west experience on Ebay since long before I was buying books there.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a read on whether I cause him the hassle. If the onus is on me, so be it - lesson learned, and I'll own up to it. I'm not out to screw anyone over for $60. The generic Ebay condition labeling of Good, Very Good, Excellent, New (whatever the scale is) leaves a lot to be desired - he did not have anything in the description regarding the grade. He just used the generic Ebay condition category.

Indeed it was vague  and without a description but, it's the way it is for some to get it sold. I've had iron fist #14 burns like that, twice but not the same reason. It was labeled vg, but he had two listings and I added wrong one to cart, I meant to add the VF, but both had the same picture doh!

The second time I ordered #14 it was a CGC 9.4 that the slab, although nicely packaged, arrived split in twain to where the book slid out and was no longer a 9.4.

Needless to say I no longer own a iron fist #14 and idk if I ever will lol

On 11/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If he didn't post pics of it I understand where you're coming from, and was the non descript very vague? Yes, and was it probably all done on purpose? Likely but thems the breaks 😂

Yeah, it wasn't just vague - it was not even there. No description of the condition at all - other than the standard Ebay selection.

On 11/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Needless to say I no longer own a iron fist #14 and idk if I ever will lol

It always sucks to have a hassle with books you really want, because by the time you get it, the elation has turned to relief that you just have it at all. That's a crappy collecting experience.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m starting  to think that most watchers are just other sellers that have the same book watching to see what mine sells for.    Not sure why 10 potential buyers would watch an item that has a BO option, and not make an offer.   Why watch it?

I think I can answer this!  As a buyer, I use watching as both a bookmark and price guide.  I want the book, but my priority might be on a different run or one off purchase.  
  I also think BO’s, in my experience, get auto declined at amounts that don’t make sense 85% of the time (anecdotal evidence, I know).  If you’re offering a book for $300 with an OBO, why is the auto decline set at $285?  That part never makes sense to me. In my experience OBO isn’t worth the hassle most of the time, as most sellers (not all!) want the buyer to eat the eBay fees in the purchase price, and unless it’s a scarce book you’re willing to overpay for, or a book that is niche, it’s best to be patient and wait for auction.
  I will also wait for the seller to offer the book at a discount as well, but even those in my experience are too far above FMV prices to consider pulling the trigger.  Best to just wait for an auction.  

I dunno if that helps, but that’s how I approach it!  But you can rest assured that at least some of your watchers do actually want your book. 👍

On 11/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, Conali said:

I think I can answer this!  As a buyer, I use watching as both a bookmark and price guide.  I want the book, but my priority might be on a different run or one off purchase.  
  I also think BO’s, in my experience, get auto declined at amounts that don’t make sense 85% of the time (anecdotal evidence, I know).  If you’re offering a book for $300 with an OBO, why is the auto decline set at $285?  That part never makes sense to me. In my experience OBO isn’t worth the hassle most of the time, as most sellers (not all!) want the buyer to eat the eBay fees in the purchase price, and unless it’s a scarce book you’re willing to overpay for, or a book that is niche, it’s best to be patient and wait for auction.
  I will also wait for the seller to offer the book at a discount as well, but even those in my experience are too far above FMV prices to consider pulling the trigger.  Best to just wait for an auction.  

I dunno if that helps, but that’s how I approach it!  But you can rest assured that at least some of your watchers do actually want your book. 👍

Thanks for the response.  Yeah, the auto-decline is super annoying when it’s set well above GPA as well.   I don’t like the auto-decline feature.  I like to see all offers.  Once upon a time the lowball offers annoyed me, but these days I’ll just ignore them if they’re silly.    The other day a book popped up that I was interested in, but it was priced at double GPA.  So I threw an offer of half GPA.  No auto-decline. The seller came back with a counter that was $10 less than the BIN

Obviously annoyed by my offer.   But that’s what you get when you post a BIN at double the books value.

Play stupid games....win stupid prizes.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Picked up a book on Ebay - the basic description was Very Good, but no details and no interior pictures. Which was fine, I was ok with the risk as it was just a hole-filler in the collection. However, upon opening, I discovered a small 1/4" split at the bottom that goes through the whole book.

I requested a return (seller does not offer returns) and no response - which I am assuming I'll probably not get one and will have to escalate with Ebay, which isn't a big deal. My question is: even if the book is generically labeled at "very good", wouldn't this kind of defect be significant enough to warrant disclosing?

Grading is subjective etc, so forth - and Ebay is rife with sellers who say "look at the pictures, no returns" - but they have to know that if you're not going to go through the whole book, that leaves you open to some return issues. Unless I'm being unreasonable. I don't feel that I am, but who knows.

I mean, even if it falls within the VG range, it's a pretty significant defect on a book from 1983 and would have opted out of buying it. SA books? Maybe - but a Copper age book with a book-wide split? I'd definitely have passed.

IMG_1674.jpg

This is why I only buy raw books assigned a number grade by the seller and never buy anything listed under a 9.0.

Its just easier to return them if they look horrible.

Edited by lostboys

On 11/23/2022 at 3:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

When did final value fees hit 12.9% ? :tonofbricks:

I think I’m done with EBay...

That is because paypal no longer takes a cut. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/23/2022 at 2:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

When did final value fees hit 12.9% ? :tonofbricks:

$82 in fees on a $500 sale? Really?

I’m done with EBay.:censored:

I was paying 15% in the Records category to liquidate my collection. Ebay made more than I did.

Hopefully more people quit and bring the action back to the Boards - I only put the unsellable drek on EBay. Boardies get first shot at the cool stuff.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/23/2022 at 5:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I was paying 15% in the Records category to liquidate my collection. Ebay made more than I did.

Hopefully more people quit and bring the action back to the Boards - I only put the unsellable drek on EBay. Boardies get first shot at the cool stuff.

I never really noticed because I usually sell stuff in the $25-$50 range on EBay. Definitely won’t be selling any more slabs on there. :facepalm:

On 11/23/2022 at 3:29 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I never really noticed because I usually sell stuff in the $25-$50 range on EBay. Definitely won’t be selling any more slabs on there. :facepalm:

Oh yeah, a $250 book needs to be almost $300 on Ebay when you consider the fees and that they charge you fees on top of sales tax that they collect and fees for buying postage. It's rough.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:07 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Oh yeah, a $250 book needs to be almost $300 on Ebay when you consider the fees and that they charge you fees on top of sales tax that they collect and fees for buying postage. It's rough.

It’s borderline criminal....

86441957-F899-4062-A74B-3EC8C579935E.jpeg.a1213260db945f582181d1071c10e271.jpeg

On 11/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s borderline criminal....

86441957-F899-4062-A74B-3EC8C579935E.jpeg.a1213260db945f582181d1071c10e271.jpeg

I live in Montana (no sales tax) and that legally, I am not required to make people pay sales tax - so it always burned me that I have to pay fees on something I am not even required to have to collect, if Ebay weren't collecting it on "my behalf".

It's criminal, but people pay it without so much as a by your leave. I mean, I understand why people sell on instagram, facebook, etc - but man, the alternative to Ebay is completely unregulated sales with barely any recourse of there's a problem and no track record of how good or bad a seller is? Really, in 2022? This is the best two options we have?

On 11/23/2022 at 6:19 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I live in Montana (no sales tax) and that legally, I am not required to make people pay sales tax - so it always burned me that I have to pay fees on something I am not even required to have to collect, if Ebay weren't collecting it on "my behalf".

It's criminal, but people pay it without so much as a by your leave. I mean, I understand why people sell on instagram, facebook, etc - but man, the alternative to Ebay is completely unregulated sales with barely any recourse of there's a problem and no track record of how good or bad a seller is? Really, in 2022? This is the best two options we have?

I left Facebook many moons ago and won’t be returning. I’m on Instagram, but aside from a weekly live claim show from my LCS, I have yet to explore that marketplace.   For years I made all my purchases here.  I still prefer that, but our marketplace isn’t what it used to be.   I’m starting to explore MCS for both buying and selling.  I’ve made a couple recent purchases to check them out.  I may send them a couple slabs to get more acquainted with their platform.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:27 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I left Facebook many moons ago and won’t be returning. I’m on Instagram, but aside from a weekly live claim show from my LCS, I have yet to explore that marketplace.   For years I made all my purchases here.  I still prefer that, but our marketplace isn’t what it used to be.   I’m starting to explore MCS for both buying and selling.  I’ve made a couple recent purchases to check them out.  I may send them a couple slabs to get more acquainted with their platform.

I’ve been trying to add stuff to my want list on MCS, I’ve had mostly good luck with them, only one questionable problem that they addressed right away, which was great to have that kind of service. I like em

On 11/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I’ve been trying to add stuff to my want list on MCS, I’ve had mostly good luck with them, only one questionable problem that they addressed right away, which was great to have that kind of service. I like em

Yup.  Their communication & customer service is light years beyond most.  I had a minor issue with one of the books I ordered, and Conan reached out & took care of it immediately.  I also inquired about selling them a book a couple weeks ago.  They  were quick to respond, and very forthcoming with the offer they made. 

I see MCS basically becoming the CGC of the raw market.  A welcome alternative to those of us who are sick of getting overgraded encapsulated books.