• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

I appreciate any and all thoughts on this situation I have encountered with a seller. 

I put in a max bid on a comic with 3 seconds to go in the auction. It appears I might have won as I see I am winning the comic for approximately $150 less than my max bid as the clock count downs to zero.  Unfortunately, when the screen jumps to final screen I see I evidently was sniped at the very last split second and it shows a winning bid $6 more than my max bid won the comic. I think nothing more about it until about a day later when I get a second chance offer from the seller to buy it at my max bid because the other party does not have the money to pay for the comic. The selling price is near $800.00. 

I reply to the seller I would like to have the comic but at my bid at the final second which showed I was winning for $150.00 less than my max bid. My point is the bid by the other buyer was not valid because he was bidding with money he did not have and the result was that his invalid bid just ran up my bid to the max. The seller is basically telling take it for my max bid or not. 

I know that seller has no obligation to sell it to me for less than my max bid, but should he? To have my bid ran up to the max by a potentially bogus buyer bothers me. I am not saying that the seller did anything fraudulent, but the circumstances to me smells just a little. If I were the seller, I think if I wanted to offer it to the second place bidder I would have offered it to them at the price he was winning the auction prior to the last second bogus bid. 

What would you do? 

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 11/23/2022 at 7:02 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I appreciate any and all thoughts on this situation I have encountered with a seller. 

I put in a max bid on a comic with 3 seconds to go in the auction. It appears I might have won as I see I am winning the comic for approximately $150 less than my max bid as the clock count downs to zero.  Unfortunately, when the screen jumps to final screen I see I evidently was sniped at the very last split second and it shows a bid $6 higher more than my max bid won the comic. I think nothing more about it until about a day later when I can get a second chance offer from the seller to buy it at my max bid because the other party does not have the money to pay for the comic. The selling price is near $800.00. 

I reply to the seller I would like to have the comic but at my bid at the final second which showed I was winning for $150.00 less than my max bid. My point is the bid by the other buyer was not valid because he was bidding with money he did not have and the result was that his invalid bids just ran up my bid to the max. The seller is basically telling take it for my max bid or not. 

I know that seller has no obligation to sell it to me for less than my max bid, but should he? To have my bid ran up to the max by a potentially bogus buyer bothers me. I am not saying that the seller did anything fraudulent, but the circumstances to me smells just a little. If I were the seller, I think if I wanted to offer it to the second place bidder I would have offered it to them at the price he was winning the auction prior to the last second bogus bid. 

What would you do? 

From my understanding, eBay sets the second chance offer at your highest bid, since you were outbid, even at the very end.

If you feel anything fishy is going on, walk away.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:16 PM, D84 said:

From my understanding, eBay sets the second chance offer at your highest bid, since you were outbid, even at the very end.

If you feel anything fishy is going on, walk away.

Yes, I thought this was the case as well. However, when I explained my point of view with the seller, I thought he might have more understanding of the situation other than a take it or leave it attitude. 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:45 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

Yes, I thought this was the case as well. However, when I explained my point of view with the seller, I thought he might have more understanding of the situation other than a take it or leave it attitude. 

Maybe the non-payer was a shill.  Just walk away from the book 2c

On 11/23/2022 at 9:08 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

Yes, not saying it was, but it definitely has that appearance. 

Shill or no shill, do you really want to give your money to someone that gives you a “take it or leave it” attitude?  

Decline 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:02 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I put in a max bid on a comic with 3 seconds to go in the auction. It appears I might have won as I see I am winning the comic for approximately $150 less than my max bid as the clock count downs to zero.  Unfortunately, when the screen jumps to final screen I see I evidently was sniped at the very last split second and it shows a winning bid $6 more than my max bid won the comic. I think nothing more about it until about a day later when I get a second chance offer from the seller to buy it at my max bid because the other party does not have the money to pay for the comic. The selling price is near $800.00. 

I reply to the seller I would like to have the comic but at my bid at the final second which showed I was winning for $150.00 less than my max bid. My point is the bid by the other buyer was not valid because he was bidding with money he did not have and the result was that his invalid bid just ran up my bid to the max. The seller is basically telling take it for my max bid or not. 

What would you do? 

I’d politely decline (or just ignore/delete) and move on. There will always be another copy eventually and if your radar went off, it was for a good reason

On 11/23/2022 at 7:02 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

What would you do? 

I'd 100% walk - doesn't pass the sniff test in my opinion.

On 11/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

What would you do? 

I hate losing auctions on something I want by a matter of loose change 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

When did final value fees hit 12.9% ? :tonofbricks:

$82 in fees on a $500 sale? Really?

I’m done with EBay.:censored:

About over a year or so ago. You can thank PayPal’s contract ending and eBay’s new Managed payments. Sellers and buyers are leaving feebay by the millions lol. I might be next 

Edited by littledoom

On 11/24/2022 at 12:22 AM, littledoom said:

About over a year or so ago. You can thank PayPal’s contract ending and eBay’s new Managed payments. Sellers and buyers are leaving feebay by the millions lol. I might be next 

I’ve been too busy hating the switch to managed payments to notice the increase in fees.

:censored: EBay 

On 11/30/2022 at 4:12 PM, littledoom said:

Once again sales are cold. No sales in 3 days. Hashtag 4th quarter 2022 Lol.

You had a sale 4 days ago?  Lucky .

On 11/23/2022 at 1:04 PM, Conali said:

If you’re offering a book for $300 with an OBO, why is the auto decline set at $285?  That part never makes sense to me.

The spread between a buy it now price and best offer price is small on desirable books because the seller knows the book will sell eventually for close to the asking price. The number of offers on a listing is visible to buyers, so it puts pressure on any interested parties to either put in an offer close to the buy it now price or to just buy the book outright. If you are on the fence about paying X price for a book it is very easy to convince yourself to pull the trigger if you know that a bunch of other people are also interested, because it confirms the value that you've put on it.   

On 12/1/2022 at 1:48 PM, littledoom said:

Someone bought something today. I haven’t sold a comic since Black Friday. My last sales have been t-shirts

I'm posting up about 300 new books over the next month so I can have plenty of new material available for the post Christmas buyers that have always come out of the woodworks.  So far I've posted about 80 books this week and gotten 2 low ball offers even though these are all priced at recent price prices.  It's still slower than it's even been in my 20 years of selling on E-Bay so don't think it's anything you are doing.  Buyers have basically disappeared and must be just waiting for prices to continue to plummet before pulling the trigger. 

On 12/1/2022 at 12:31 PM, 1Cool said:

I'm posting up about 300 new books over the next month so I can have plenty of new material available for the post Christmas buyers that have always come out of the woodworks.  So far I've posted about 80 books this week and gotten 2 low ball offers even though these are all priced at recent price prices.  It's still slower than it's even been in my 20 years of selling on E-Bay so don't think it's anything you are doing.  Buyers have basically disappeared and must be just waiting for prices to continue to plummet before pulling the trigger. 

Today I actually sold two sets after I posted on this thread. One was a Drax set that was up for up about 10-11 months. 

Though I would share this as it might give someone hope.  I have been selling on eBay for 20+ years . I have never won a eBay return case . There haven’t been many, but that changed today.  The buyer was denied due to abuse of the eBay return policy .  The bonus was they return the item then found out they lost .  So I kept the item and got my money . So maybe eBay is going to finally start helping sellers more , doubt it but I’ll take this win