• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,139 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2022 at 8:27 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

redangel22

Nice seller, packages well, comics stink strongly of tobacco.

Reminds me of a lot of comics I bought several years ago. I left them out open for a few days. The smell was a lot better after that.

I spent the week updating the prices on the 800 books in my store rather then adding new books and the purchases have started trickling in.  Most books took a 20-40% haircut but at least it’s not a ghost town in terms of offers and sales.  

On 12/17/2022 at 7:57 AM, 1Cool said:

I spent the week updating the prices on the 800 books in my store rather then adding new books and the purchases have started trickling in.  Most books took a 20-40% haircut but at least it’s not a ghost town in terms of offers and sales.  

I found some sealed Spidey cards and toys in storage, and those sold pretty quick.  Had to undercut the other sellers, but I had nothing in them.  Need to do another storage run and see what other toys I have.   I have watchers on some slabs, but no offers.   I’ve never really sold lots on EBay, but I’m thinking of giving that a try to move some cheapie books.

I recently won an auction for for a book a week ago and the seller hasn't shipped the book and isn't responding to messages (I suspect because they aren't happy with my winning bid and wanted more).  I guess there isn't much that can be done in this situation besides eventually cancelling the order?  Any suggestions?

On 12/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, LudaToke said:

I recently won an auction for for a book a week ago and the seller hasn't shipped the book and isn't responding to messages (I suspect because they aren't happy with my winning bid and wanted more).  I guess there isn't much that can be done in this situation besides eventually cancelling the order?  Any suggestions?

I had a similar issue, I got a great deal on a an auction. Since the seller was international, I needed him to send an invoice . After many requests, I got nothing. I reached out to EBay Customer Service because I didn’t want to get accused of nonpayment. And Lo a behold, an invoice came. I paid and got the comic. Perhaps eBay can shame a seller to sending you the item.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:52 PM, Antman’s shorter brother said:

I had a similar issue, I got a great deal on a an auction. Since the seller was international, I needed him to send an invoice . After many requests, I got nothing. I reached out to EBay Customer Service because I didn’t want to get accused of nonpayment. And Lo a behold, an invoice came. I paid and got the comic. Perhaps eBay can shame a seller to sending you the item.

This seller is international for me as well (I am in Canada and they are in the US) but I didn't need an invoice.  I paid immediately after the auction ended which was 1 week ago.  I may reach out to Customer Service and see what can be done to nudge them.

On 12/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, wombat said:

Maybe I'm late to the party, but when did they change make an offer to ask you for your payment method and saying they will just auto charge when the offer is accepted?

I haven't seen that, but it's been a couple/few weeks since I made an offer on anything. For me, that wouldn't be an issue though, it'd save me a step of having to login and pay. But I get how it could be annoying to some.

Gotta give credit when credit is due....

Had my buying account suspended due to a couple cancellations( sellers didn’t ship to Canada ) , and EBay saw them as non-payments.

Contacted customer service via online chat & was resolved in a few minutes 

^^

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 12/17/2022 at 4:57 AM, 1Cool said:

I spent the week updating the prices on the 800 books in my store rather than adding new books and the purchases have started trickling in.  Most books took a 20-40% haircut but at least it’s not a ghost town in terms of offers and sales.  

I’m not selling enough to continue selling on eBay as a lifestyle 

On 12/26/2022 at 11:18 PM, littledoom said:

I’m not selling enough to continue selling on eBay as a lifestyle 

I'm pretty much back to how it was a few years ago in terms of number of books getting shipped out.  It took a large cut of my prices and still accepting offers to get the ball rolling but this week has been a good one.  It will make buying books much more difficult since the prices I pay will be way down but at least my store isn't a ghost town.  The gravy train appears to be over but we will see how this spring shapes up.  I'm not holding my breath.

On 12/27/2022 at 8:49 AM, 1Cool said:

I'm pretty much back to how it was a few years ago in terms of number of books getting shipped out.  It took a large cut of my prices and still accepting offers to get the ball rolling but this week has been a good one.  It will make buying books much more difficult since the prices I pay will be way down but at least my store isn't a ghost town.  The gravy train appears to be over but we will see how this spring shapes up.  I'm not holding my breath.

I've had to mark down my in-store inventory 3 times since May.  It's either that, or not sell anything.  But the trick, as you've said, is in buying collections... a lot of folks don't keep up on the market closely and still expect rates based on last year's levels.  Nothing will convince them beyond them taking their stuff to multiple places and getting the same response.  But... if you do keep prices in accordance with current reality, I find issues sell as quickly as ever.

I started making a concerted effort to list a few new books every day, starting a few days ago - I solely do BINs with a Best Offer option. Yesterday, I had a flurry of activity and have had 6 offers - all of which I plan to accept, just waiting a bit within the offer windows in case someone else comes along with a higher offer or BIN - and one BIN sale. I don't have a lot of high-dollar listings, but the sales in the past day will be around $230, and my cost on those books was less than $50. It does seem like there's a benefit to listing consistently, because I'm listing things in similar titles and quality to what I've done in the past when I listed more sporadically and let things sit. I don't currently have a storefront, I'd consider myself a "hobby seller" - I have about 50 books currently listed. I'm also pretty aggressive on the "Send Offer" options when they appear.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 1/7/2023 at 1:04 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I started making a concerted effort to list a few new books every day, starting a few days ago - I solely do BINs with a Best Offer option. Yesterday, I had a flurry of activity and have had 6 offers - all of which I plan to accept, just waiting a bit within the offer windows in case someone else comes along with a higher offer or BIN - and one BIN sale. I don't have a lot of high-dollar listings, but the sales in the past day will be around $230, and my cost on those books was less than $50. It does seem like there's a benefit to listing consistently, because I'm listing things in similar titles and quality to what I've done in the past when I listed more sporadically and let things sit. I don't currently have a storefront, I'd consider myself a "hobby seller" - I have about 50 books currently listed. I'm also pretty aggressive on the "Send Offer" options when they appear.

+1 on that.  When I'm listing consistently, more eyes land on items, which leads to more eyes on my other inventory, which leads to more sales.  It's been GREAT the last month.  Not late 2021/early 2022 great but it's finally picking back up.  Like others have said, I did have to drop prices by 10%+.  I still have about 15+ short boxes of books to list but I just can't find the time and it sucks to miss windows on hot books.  

On 1/7/2023 at 4:04 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

+ 2. I said this very thing earlier in this thread, works like a charm.

On 1/7/2023 at 7:45 PM, paullam15 said:

Is shipping slabs via Priority Mail the cheapest option on eBay? I got a bunch 1095 Priority Mail boxes which fits a slab pretty well and allows for alot of packing material to protect the slab.

It's pretty typical for Priority shipping, I think if you wanted to do it up special there is a priority box that fits inside another Priority box that still makes room for padding. Not always necessary, I even had one recently double boxed like that recently that still got "damaged" with no signs on the outer box, which felt fishy, but benefit of the doubt kind of thing. 

In short, do they best you can within reason, and know that anything can basically happen lol but to be able and say, "you did all that you could do!" It goes a long way :cheers: