• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,164 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2023 at 9:57 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Feebay please....for the love of God....give it a rest with the fees!

They're making it impossible to sell anything 🤬 

If you sell somewhat pricey slabs, what they're effectively doing is inviting people to just delist and consign to the auction houses at first sign of life in the market. This goes double if you're a casual seller without the need of a storefront subscription. At least throw people a bone every once in a while with a final value fee promo or something.

And you can’t imagine how impossible they made it for non-US sellers to sell on eBay.com
If I wish to price a comic fairly I have to take into account:
1) Currency conversion rates (their own, really bad);
2) Shipping cost, which is already high, has to take into account that they’ll calculate fees upon it and the taxes as well
3) US Local taxes (depending on state)
4) On top of it all: the fees, which on our own local eBay sites (eBay.it, eBay.fr, eBay.de etc.) amount to a 4-6% at worst, can end up being 15-18%
So in the end you have a buyer paying about a 30% more than he would have if he purchased directly from you.

On 3/23/2023 at 4:24 PM, vaillant said:

And you can’t imagine how impossible they made it for non-US sellers to sell on eBay.com
If I wish to price a comic fairly I have to take into account:
1) Currency conversion rates (their own, really bad);
2) Shipping cost, which is already high, has to take into account that they’ll calculate fees upon it and the taxes as well
3) US Local taxes (depending on state)
4) On top of it all: the fees, which on our own local eBay sites (eBay.it, eBay.fr, eBay.de etc.) amount to a 4-6% at worst, can end up being 15-18%
So in the end you have a buyer paying about a 30% more than he would have if he purchased directly from you.

It honestly shocks me that none of the other internet company behemoths have even tried to create an Ebay competitor. All they would have to do is drop fees to like 5% and sellers would flood to them.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:20 PM, Tnexus said:

It honestly shocks me that none of the other internet company behemoths have even tried to create an Ebay competitor. All they would have to do is drop fees to like 5% and sellers would flood to them.

Heck even MyComicShop charges 10% and they run a pretty tight ship.  I pay about 13% in actual fees to e-bay which of course is higher then 10% but not THAT much more.  Shipping and taxes are a separate item that I'm sure any platform will have the same cost.

On 3/24/2023 at 5:24 AM, 1Cool said:

Heck even MyComicShop charges 10% and they run a pretty tight ship.  I pay about 13% in actual fees to e-bay which of course is higher then 10% but not THAT much more.  Shipping and taxes are a separate item that I'm sure any platform will have the same cost.

Actually, Ebay is closer to 15-19% depending on the item cost. Also Ebay just increased their fees to 13.25% from 12.9% in February. Case in point I sold a $30 comic recently to a guy in NY. Shipping was $6, Tax was 3.02. Final bill for the buyer was 39.02. Ebay charges 13.25%+0.30 for a total of $5.47 in fees. But I'm only getting $30 of that. So $5.47/$30=18.2% in fees. This doesn't even include any additional costs for packing materials. Generally I average eating probably $0.50 cents for a mailer/cardboard inserts. All said and done, I'm probably close to 20% on this one item. This fact alone is pretty much why I've given up investing in low dollar comics I plan to flip. It's just not worth it. Just to break even I need to sell it for 20% more than I bought it for.

I just looked and I currently get charged 12.35% for all my items that sell on e-bay (maybe because I have a store?).  I just sold a Hawkman 4 for $435 and e-bay charged me $57.40 in fees which gave me $382.10 in my account.   I did have to pay $4.50 for shipping so my profit was $377.60 which makes the fees a bit over 13%.

I haven’t bought on eBay for a long time. Can someone tell me the process to get a seller to combine shipping?

Just to be clear when I say get the to combine shipping this is if they are willing to combine shipping. 

Edited by FormerReader

On 3/24/2023 at 10:00 AM, 1Cool said:

I just looked and I currently get charged 12.35% for all my items that sell on e-bay (maybe because I have a store?).  I just sold a Hawkman 4 for $435 and e-bay charged me $57.40 in fees which gave me $382.10 in my account.   I did have to pay $4.50 for shipping so my profit was $377.60 which makes the fees a bit over 13%.

It looks like you got a buyer from a no sales tax state then, you're lucky. If you had a 10% tax state, you'd be paying close to another $5 in fees.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:11 PM, FormerReader said:

I haven’t bought on eBay for a long time. Can someone tell me the process to get a seller to combine shipping?

Just to be clear when I say get the to combine shipping this is if they are willing to combine shipping. 

You can message them to combine it. Alternatively, on the webpage when you get to checkout there's a button that says request a total from the seller. I think this only works on desktop and not the app or mobile.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:52 PM, Tnexus said:

You can message them to combine it. Alternatively, on the webpage when you get to checkout there's a button that says request a total from the seller. I think this only works on desktop and not the app or mobile.

Thank you. I was trying to checkout on my phone. That may be why I saw no option to request the total from the seller. I will give it a try on my laptop.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:47 PM, rexinnih said:

I think it varies by seller. Some are fast to send a combined shipping invoice if they list in the description it's something they do. 

Thank you. I couldn’t remember if the seller can send you an invoice directly or if the buyer triggers it through checkout.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:56 PM, FormerReader said:

Thank you. I was trying to checkout on my phone. That may be why I saw no option to request the total from the seller. I will give it a try on my laptop.

I added multiple items to my cart from a single seller, went to checkout and there was no “request total from seller”. This was on my laptop, logged into my account, and doing this several different times with several different sellers. I googled the issue and sounds like this is an intermittent issue with eBay.

Anyone comes across this issue before?

I have had this problem a lot over the years as a seller without a store. Some buyers can request an invoice for combined shipping and others are forced to pay the full amount and then I have to do a manual shipping overcharge refund for them. I don't think I have any control over it. I thought it might be because I wasn't set up as a store or because I didn't set up my shipping rules correctly, or because some people are forced to pay immediately (and I think there's an option for this as a seller, to require it, but I'm not sure what the default is absent specific instruction), but I don't really know what the issue is.

On 3/27/2023 at 12:13 PM, FormerReader said:

I added multiple items to my cart from a single seller, went to checkout and there was no “request total from seller”. This was on my laptop, logged into my account, and doing this several different times with several different sellers. I googled the issue and sounds like this is an intermittent issue with eBay.

Anyone comes across this issue before?

Sorry this only works on Commit to Buy type sales such as auctions or best offers. For BIN if the seller isn't set up to combine shipping you have to message them.

If you can get a seller to respond. I’m going through this situation now, in descriptions the seller states combined shipping. Contacted the seller about combined shipping, no response.committed to Purchasing the items (as items ending) with request total from seller with combined shipping. No responses still, even asked a couple more times in messages for an invoice  ( I hate having outstanding commitments)  nothing from seller, just messages from eBay stating I need to pay soon. Sucks as shipping and taxes will be over to 1/3 of the total cost of the 5 raw items I have committed to purchase   😒

Edited by nepatkm

On 3/27/2023 at 6:32 PM, nepatkm said:

If you can get a seller to respond. I’m going through this situation now, in descriptions the seller states combined shipping. Contacted the seller about combined shipping, no response.committed to Purchasing the items (as items ending) with request total from seller with combined shipping. No responses still, even asked a couple more times in messages for an invoice  ( I hate having outstanding commitments)  nothing from seller, just messages from eBay stating I need to pay soon. Sucks as shipping and taxes will be over to 1/3 of the total cost of the 5 raw items I have committed to purchase   😒

This happens to me a lot. The seller lists ‘combined shipping’ then never responds to messages.

I bid more on follow up items knowing I can combine, then they jerk the rug out. If they pocket the money without follow up refund, I leave positive but crack them hard on the shipping stars.

There’s a possibility that if you add all items to cart, eBay may automatically combine the shipping of all the items from the same seller. I’ve done this with sports cards and the discount shows before any payment is made. If not, I’ve sent a screenshot of the invoice to the seller to show them the error and they’ve always refunded me the difference. I think most sellers with substantial feedback will do the right thing to maintain their reputation 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:45 PM, NP_Gresham said:

This happens to me a lot. The seller lists ‘combined shipping’ then never responds to messages.

I bid more on follow up items knowing I can combine, then they jerk the rug out. If they pocket the money without follow up refund, I leave positive but crack them hard on the shipping stars.

Yeah sucks paying $4 extra shipping each on a $5-$10 comic especially when only adding on extra books to compensate for shipping when expecting combined as stated. Spend $45 on comics + $25 shipping + taxes on both. 😜 around $76+ 🤦‍♂️

On 3/27/2023 at 9:54 PM, B2D327 said:

There’s a possibility that if you add all items to cart, eBay may automatically combine the shipping of all the items from the same seller. I’ve done this with sports cards and the discount shows before any payment is made. If not, I’ve sent a screenshot of the invoice to the seller to show them the error and they’ve always refunded me the difference. I think most sellers with substantial feedback will do the right thing to maintain their reputation 

Does not work for all sellers unfortunately.