• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
32 32

4,124 posts in this topic

I sold a book to someone with zero feedback.

He paid and I mailed the book to the address ebay gave me.

He now says he indicated his item be sent to another address (which he never mentioned) and I looked at his ebay info again and it is now this new address (both in California). I opened the email paypal sent when he paid, and it's the new address listed there. I haven't responded yet- any advise? Is this a common scam?

He now says he indicated his item be sent to another address (which he never mentioned) and I looked at his ebay info again and it is now this new address (both in California). I opened the email paypal sent when he paid, and it's the new address listed there. I haven't responded yet- any advise? Is this a common scam?

Sounds like a new scam (or new version of an old scam). Did you use the automatic "print mailing label" function on eBay, or did you hand-write the address?

First thing you should do is call eBay and tell them the situation. Let us know what you find out.

P.S. If you feel comfortable doing so, let us know his eBay account since it sounds like he should be blocked.

Ebay fargging Ebay :pullhair:

"Jake" said he could remove the actual item-review that was written in 2013, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Was he wearing khakis?

-slym

:roflmao:

At least he didn't say his name is "Peggy".

That sucks, jcjames. There is no logic at all putting the reviews in your listing but not the other listing with the same book- that's not an even playing field.

Sounds like a new scam (or new version of an old scam). Did you use the automatic "print mailing label" function on eBay, or did you hand-write the address?

First thing you should do is call eBay and tell them the situation. Let us know what you find out.

P.S. If you feel comfortable doing so, let us know his eBay account since it sounds like he should be blocked.

I got the address from "print label" and hand wrote it. I did some googling and it seems you are supposed to only mail to the address that you get from Paypal. I guess I should have known that already, but I don't sell a lot. I had an unopened email from Paypal about the sale, and that email had the address he now says he wanted it sent to. So if it's a scam I don't think he changed his address at Paypal. The zero feedback makes me think scam, but it looks like it's my mistake? But then people who print labels off ebay, are they double checking with paypal?

Edited by HarrisonJohn

I got the address from "print label" and hand wrote it. I did some googling and it seems you are supposed to only mail to the address that you get from Paypal. I guess I should have known that already, but I don't sell a lot. I had an unopened email from Paypal about the sale, and that email had the address he now says he wanted it sent to. So if it's a scam I don't think he changed his address at Paypal. The zero feedback makes me think scam, but it looks like it's my mistake? But then people who print labels off ebay, are they double checking with paypal?

Whoa, make sure the email from Paypal isn't spoofed. Check the email headers etc. If it's a real email, then it sounds like maybe he changed his official address after the eBay sale was completed, and you got caught in the middle. eBay should help you clear this up -- or maybe not, but it's worth a call.

Is the buyer saying he moved to a new home? If so, he should be having his mail automatically forwarded (if he's on the ball).

Did you just send the package, or has it been a few days? If it has only been a day or so, you might be able to get the package recalled from the USPS somehow. You'll probably have to fill out a form and do a song and dance, but I think there's a way to do this while the package is in transit.

Ugh, what a mess. It could be a real situation that you got caught in the middle of, but it still could be a scam. (Your one mistake, I suppose, was not opening that email from PayPal.)

Whoa, make sure the email from Paypal isn't spoofed. Check the email headers etc. If it's a real email, then it sounds like maybe he changed his official address after the eBay sale was completed, and you got caught in the middle. eBay should help you clear this up -- or maybe not, but it's worth a call.

Is the buyer saying he moved to a new home? If so, he should be having his mail automatically forwarded (if he's on the ball).

Did you just send the package, or has it been a few days? If it has only been a day or so, you might be able to get the package recalled from the USPS somehow. You'll probably have to fill out a form and do a song and dance, but I think there's a way to do this while the package is in transit.

Ugh, what a mess. It could be a real situation that you got caught in the middle of, but it still could be a scam. (Your one mistake, I suppose, was not opening that email from PayPal.)

It was already delivered. I asked him if he could still retrieve the item from the other address and I'm waiting to hear back. I had the box addressed before he paid so I guess he could have changed the ebay address before he paid. He was new to ebay so who would think there would be an address change but I guess I was too ahead of myself and will have to refund. It's not a huge deal I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a scam. And if it was I was more than helpful lol. Thanks for the replies.

It was already delivered. I asked him if he could still retrieve the item from the other address and I'm waiting to hear back. I had the box addressed before he paid so I guess he could have changed the ebay address before he paid. He was new to ebay so who would think there would be an address change but I guess I was too ahead of myself and will have to refund. It's not a huge deal I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a scam. And if it was I was more than helpful lol. Thanks for the replies.

I hope it all works out. If not, I hope it wasn't too expensive an item. Yeah, I guess you got ahead of yourself -- I am surprised that his address even showed up before he paid.

I think Ebay store has FVF on comics at 9%.

But w/o store I think flat FVF is 10%.

I'm not talking about the high end sales fee differences that someone mentioned earlier.

I sold a couple of comic items last week for first time in nearly 10 years, had a zero-feedback buyer that came through, money already released and package shipped. My money on other sale is being held up for 2-3 weeks, and I now know from above replies that this is in case I'm a fraud (this auction was an FF #52).

Before I found this site my plan was to pay for 1 mo store (the lower level store)and list as many time/ebay limit permitted.

I really hate ebay from when I sold 10 years ago, but OTOH they offer a service I have not found replicated better elsewhere (c-link, mycomshop, connect) they might come close here and there especially the first but EBAY still seems best outlet - although after a while here and kudos from purchases maybe I'll sell some key silver and bronze here.

The problem is to move the slower/low demand stuff I need a couple of dozen key books to gain attention of the buyers. Also at that point it makes sense to list the minor keys and #1s (as BIN for slight premium).

So maybe I'll start with selling he slow books here first, and if they move well enough I'll have no reservations setting the keys and HG at reasonable prices, reduced to reflect 5-8 per cent discount - splitting the saved ebay FEES that approximate 13%.

Bought a Amaz. Spiderman #6 here yesterday and it was such a pleasure not having to deal with Ebay stuff, even as the buyer. As the seller it would be a dream to avoid Ebay and just set a reasonable price collector to collector.

Ebay fargging Ebay :pullhair:

"Jake" said he could remove the actual item-review that was written in 2013, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Was he wearing khakis?

:roflmao:

At least he didn't say his name is "Peggy".

XS5LK.gif

-slym

Probably well-traveled Ebay issue - but first time for me:

Buyer hits BIN, pays and sends me a message asking me to ship to different address. He has decent FB.

Q: How do I go about this? Do I just say "no I can't do that because Paypal requires me to ship to the listed address? Or do I tell him to cancel the sale and try it again? I don't know the step-by-step for cancel/refund/rebuy so-as to not end up with a ding on my seller rating. And it's only a frigging $8 book.

Help?

Do I just say "no I can't do that because Paypal requires me to ship to the listed address?

This.

Okay, so if I get no response, do I ship it to the Paypal address?

Contact an eBay representative. They will strongly recommend you not ship to the other address. Also, because you have talked to them and told them the situation, they will have a record of what you've told them (and it is also recorded in the eBay messaging system). That way, if you ship to the correct address and the buyer leaves you negative feedback, you can contact eBay and they'll have evidence on your side that you potentially can use to have the negative feedback removed.

Wait for the buyer to respond. Tell the buyer you follow eBay policies, for your own protection. Be polite and courteous, of course. The buyer should understand and be willing to work with you, including honoring your preference for following eBay policies.

The buyer is completely at fault here. The buyer should have asked you BEFORE HITTING THE BIN if you'd be willing to ship to another address. You would have said "no," and the buyer wouldn't have hit the BIN, and there'd be no problem. It was presumptuous on the buyer's part to assume you would violate eBay policy.

"Hi!

Denis from Croatia here!

This is an auction I'd love to participate in, but your high postage is turning me away. I see dealers sending CGC slabs for $25, and although I understand why you may want to make sure all is well, would you not want to leave that decision to the buyer? In other words, would you be willing to send this in a securely padded envelope or something cheaper than a $60 box?

I'd appreciate it - if possible.

Thanks and good luck either way!

Denis"

My response:

"Please tell me how I can ship a slab to Croatia for $25. I'm all ears."

I requested my first cancellation this morning. Nothing to do with buyer's remorse (you don't get much of that when dealing with low-grade books), it just seemed like the bidding was a little on the suspicious side. As I said, this is my first time - do I have to do anything besides sending the buyer a (nice)email? (which I already did) Do I get some kind of notification?

I requested my first cancellation this morning. Nothing to do with buyer's remorse (you don't get much of that when dealing with low-grade books), it just seemed like the bidding was a little on the suspicious side. As I said, this is my first time - do I have to do anything besides sending the buyer a (nice)email? (which I already did) Do I get some kind of notification?

Why would you cancel? There were higher feedback bids, and it looks like one guy with zero feedback put in a max of $44. You beat him with your bid and now you cancelled. The zero-feedback bidder only has 27% activity with the seller and actually won an auction from another seller.

Within the past week, I've had three people with zero feedback buy books from me. Everybody starts somewhere. In my opinion, you just made this seller (with over 700 positive feedback) lose a sale for his book.

It just seems like his goal was to run up the final price.

It's not the dollar amount, it's the principle. I may very well be wrong, but it just seems like this bidder's sole intention was to get me ta pay the max. IMO, that's BS. (shrug)

It just seems like his goal was to run up the final price.

It's not the dollar amount, it's the principle. I may very well be wrong, but it just seems like this bidder's sole intention was to get me ta pay the max. IMO, that's BS. (shrug)

Did the mystery bidder cancel a bid that left you as the high bidder?

If no, then how did he know when to stop bidding.

cancelled bids, especially from someone who does a lot of bidding, but not winning with just a few sellers is a red flag.

this just looks like a new bidder who bid until he quit. For all he knew, you had put a $75 bid in and were going to keep winning.