• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,324 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2022 at 12:56 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

When I returned to collecting Bronze FF titles earlier this year I had planned to start with #117 as it was the first 20 cent issue and fairly close to where my reading adventures started as a kid. Seems like a good place to start, but I am always torn on where to stop once I start these runs. Originally I had planned to stop somewhere around 1981 as this was the area I had stopped reading the title. Is there a good hard stopping point somewhere in the early 80's ? Say maybe first 40 cent cover?

You have to go for the complete Byrne run for sure. He does go up through 295 which is a couple years into copper. So many great issues in that run :cloud9:.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Arrived today in the cold & snow.  One of the most colorful covers of the run. 1st appearance of Salem's Seven.

Fantastic Four # 186.jpeg

Really great looking copy. Colors really pop on that one.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:46 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Today's mail brought along this upgrade from @drbanner.

FF - 143 - 2.jpg

awesome! love that it has the classics of FF. Period. The funds are short and yet in the distance, outside looking in. These are the nice things that come with Friends :) Had a few of those one the way too. Glad for you, humbly. Looks good!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, universal soldier said:

You have to go for the complete Byrne run for sure. He does go up through 295 which is a couple years into copper. So many great issues in that run :cloud9:.

I agree with this, Byrne run is essential.  When I started recollecting FF several years ago my goal was to strictly collect the Byrne run #232-295 + plus related Annuals.  Since then I ended up compiling a run (all raw) consisting of #141-354 in NM (with lots of duplicates).  I believe I have 2 complete runs of #204-221, 232-295, 334-354.  One of these days I plan to sell my duplicates but would prefer to sell as an entire set. :)

On 12/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, universal soldier said:

I've had the the Byrne run in my PC for awhile BUT I never knew (or had forgotten) he did art on a few of the earlier issues in the 200s, I think maybe the 210s or so....before he took over writing with 232....

Whelp, got a new run to collect.

On 12/17/2022 at 12:56 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

When I returned to collecting Bronze FF titles earlier this year I had planned to start with #117 as it was the first 20 cent issue and fairly close to where my reading adventures started as a kid. Seems like a good place to start, but I am always torn on where to stop once I start these runs. Originally I had planned to stop somewhere around 1981 as this was the area I had stopped reading the title. Is there a good hard stopping point somewhere in the early 80's ? Say maybe first 40 cent cover?

1st 40 cent FF cover was onsale Feb 1979/cover date May 1979

Edited by MAR1979