• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,324 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2021 at 8:23 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Man this thread brings back some memories.  I remember buying most of the ones listed above off the rack at 7-11.

Were there many on the shelves? Even late 80s early 90s, they had the hits at 7/11, yet grocery stores were the sweet spot. I dont really remember seeing fantastic four is why I mention it :shy:

To be able to see bronze on the rack must have been sweet!

On 8/26/2021 at 8:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Were there many on the shelves? Even late 80s early 90s, they had the hits at 7/11, yet grocery stores were the sweet spot. I dont really remember seeing fantastic four is why I mention it :shy:

To be able to see bronze on the rack must have been sweet!

It was actually a knock off convenient store of 7-11 we had in our small town called "B-rite" may have beena 7-11 brand not sure, but yes they had FF's, ASM, IH, and all the big title's back in the day. I only have a few left from those original purchases with no keys that I can remember, but yes looking back it was really sweet to see.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:34 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

It was actually a knock off convenient store of 7-11 we had in our small town called "B-rite" may have beena 7-11 brand not sure, but yes they had FF's, ASM, IH, and all the big title's back in the day. I only have a few left from those original purchases with no keys that I can remember, but yes looking back it was really sweet to see.

Fun to hear for sure :)

I'm sure there are avenues aimed at easy shopping like 7/11 used to be, just might not be for comics as much. There are walmarts that are getting exclusives for comics just fyi, but it all takes time to circle back for certain items....and they have to sell for distribution to be worth it. :wishluck:

I'm sure there will be, just hope its soon so I can enjoy it, if and ever it happens lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

When does Bronze Age FF end? 213? 214? 231?

I'm pretty familiar with the most prominent arguments for when the Bronze Age begins, but I don't know if there are even well-defined positions on when it ends.  I've heard everything from 1980 through 1985.  I suppose you could try to pick a cover price as the cutoff (the move to 40 cents?  50 cents?) or a comic book event (Secret Wars #1?).

For me, by the time you get to the 40-cent covers, it doesn't "feel" like Bronze Age ... the litmus test I'll offer is, do you consider the Black Cat (introduced in ASM #194, right around that increase to 40 cents) a Bronze Age character, or Copper Age?

On 9/14/2021 at 3:46 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm pretty familiar with the most prominent arguments for when the Bronze Age begins, but I don't know if there are even well-defined positions on when it ends.  I've heard everything from 1980 through 1985.  I suppose you could try to pick a cover price as the cutoff (the move to 40 cents?  50 cents?) or a comic book event (Secret Wars #1?).

For me, by the time you get to the 40-cent covers, it doesn't "feel" like Bronze Age ... the litmus test I'll offer is, do you consider the Black Cat (introduced in ASM #194, right around that increase to 40 cents) a Bronze Age character, or Copper Age?

Well, I've always cut off Bronze Age at December 1979, but recently I think its better customized book by book. Like Daredevil #158 is start of DD Copper (5/79). FF is either 214 (end of the aging storyline) or 231 (before Byrne).

Edited by WernerVonDoom