• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,324 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2016 at 1:05 PM, Engr62 said:

The first comic I purchased as a kid was FF 149 (from my local 7-11). So, I grew up in the bronze age of FF comics. I'm trying to put together a CGC run of FF 140-200.

FF140_CGC96_Front_zps357b85b9.jpg

FF149_CGC96_Front_zps16067601.jpg

ff151_cgc94_zps6agrvkbw.jpg

FF157_CGC96_Front_zps7ebad2f9.jpg

ff162_cgc94_zpsuvesqah5.jpg

FF172_96_zpstph3a7u5.jpg

FF180_CGC96_Front_zps6d5497ff.jpg

FF193_cgc98.jpg

FF197_cgc.jpg

Cheese and crackers, where DO you people find these books?

6 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

It's not easy to find them.  I've actually never had a book graded myself (although, that may change if I ever hope to get #187 to finish my #140-200 run).  I bought my first CGC-graded book on the forums here in 2010.  In addition to the forums, I've picked up a few on eBay and comiclink.  I'm not able to afford a high-grade run like most on here.  If I can find a nicely-presenting comic in at least 8.5, I'm okay with that.  Here's my run so far (other 3rd-party graders whited-out).  My 9.4 #200 isn't shown in the scan, but I've got it (only lacking the #187).

Update... I went back and added up the cost of my FF #140-200 run (minus the missing #187 of course).  I've spent $2,036 on this including shipping.:whatthe:  Since I've purchased these one book at a time for the most part, the shipping has absolutely killed me.

2075488499_FF140-199(noncgchidden).thumb.png.17fd71147b3726e7460219c81a1194f8.png

Edited by Engr62

4 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

It isn't easy, let me tell you. I've been putting this set together for 15 years and has been difficult. What is your grade cutoff?

Metropolis has a 187 in 9.6 for $108, which isn't too terrible.

Edited by FlyingDonut

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

It isn't easy, let me tell you. I've been putting this set together for 15 years and has been difficult. What is your grade cutoff?

It has been 9.4-9.6, but looking at these beauties, that is D#$@ sure going to change!

1 minute ago, Spawnfreak said:

It has been 9.4-9.6, but looking at these beauties, that is D#$@ sure going to change!

Speaking from unfortunate experience, the price jump from 9.6 to 9.8 is crazy, especially on the hardcore Bronze Age stuff. There simply aren't enough of them for demand.

Just now, FlyingDonut said:

Speaking from unfortunate experience, the price jump from 9.6 to 9.8 is crazy, especially on the hardcore Bronze Age stuff. There simply aren't enough of them for demand.

Did I not mention next weeks winning lottery ticket?

On 4/3/2020 at 12:41 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Metropolis has a 187 in 9.6 for $108, which isn't too terrible.

Thanks!  Yes, I've been eyeing that 187 for a while, but I'm not sure if I can go that high. Comiclink has a 9.4, but the wrap isn't very good.  I've been looking for one in the 9.2 to 9.4 range.  I've got a couple of raw candidates, but I've never actually gotten anything graded before--I've only purchased graded copies.  The shipping to/from CGC for a single book would make this a pretty expensive option.

Edited by Engr62

47 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I agree... and speaking of scarcity: I very often see that a lot of 9.8 (and 9.6) copies don't have perfect wrap and benefit from a white spine (which seems to increase chances of getting higher grades on most books) Is this something that people care about? Me, I don't like it... as an example, I haven't pulled the trigger on any 9.6 copies of FF 130 I see available because of that miswrap...

14 minutes ago, Frederic9494 said:

I agree... and speaking of scarcity: I very often see that a lot of 9.8 (and 9.6) copies don't have perfect wrap and benefit from a white spine (which seems to increase chances of getting higher grades on most books) Is this something that people care about? Me, I don't like it... as an example, I haven't pulled the trigger on any 9.6 copies of FF 130 I see available because of that miswrap...

To each his own, but I've never cared about wrap (within reason). If you get a nice wrap great, but I wouldn't let a bad one stop you.

1 hour ago, Frederic9494 said:

I was also a stickler for good cover wraps that weren't crooked from top to bottom and were true on the spine front-to-back.  But I'd often sacrifice and take a small miswrap if it had better structure and page quality:

FF130sale.thumb.jpg.db19ced4b32a19993241b4cac6c31f9c.jpg   FF130cgc.jpg.5c7845e699b27cdef0731c197bd7765b.jpg

Just now, namisgr said:

I was also a stickler for good cover wraps that weren't crooked from top to bottom and were true on the spine front-to-back.  But I'd often sacrifice and take a small miswrap if it had better structure and page quality:

FF130sale.thumb.jpg.db19ced4b32a19993241b4cac6c31f9c.jpg   FF130cgc.jpg.5c7845e699b27cdef0731c197bd7765b.jpg

Well that 9.6 just shows off a wee-bit of miswrap... this would pass my taste test :)

3 hours ago, Frederic9494 said:

If it's minimal and straight, I can live with it, it is when it tapers that it bothers me.

4 hours ago, Engr62 said:

Thanks!  Yes, I've been eyeing that 187 for a while, but I'm not sure if I can go that high. Comiclink has a 9.4, but the wrap isn't very good.  I've been looking for one in the 9.2 to 9.4 range.  I've got a couple of raw candidates, but I've never actually gotten anything graded before--I've only purchased graded copies.  The shipping to/from CGC for a single book would make this a pretty expensive auction.

If it has been there a while, make a offer on it.