• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Finals: Dark Knight #1-4 vs Watchmen #1-12

84 posts in this topic

This one will Tug on the Soul for a bit might have to go reread them both - when is shilling, er I mean voting up? Kudos to Alex for taking the voting to PM.

Has is really been 20 years 893whatthe.gif man so thats what Pov, Hook and Burnt feel like. stooges.gif My impression is that I think DKR had more exposure, it was certainly hyped more, especially after the 2nd issue. The story and art on both are excellent, it truly is a juggle.gif

No it's not, just vote for DKR and be done with it. makepoint.gif

I'm almost certain FFB meant to say Watchmen just then jbud.

Remember Moore is more!!!! So don't vote for the upstart Miller. sumo.gif

This one will Tug on the Soul for a bit might have to go reread them both - when is shilling, er I mean voting up? Kudos to Alex for taking the voting to PM.

Has is really been 20 years 893whatthe.gif man so thats what Pov, Hook and Burnt feel like. stooges.gif My impression is that I think DKR had more exposure, it was certainly hyped more, especially after the 2nd issue. The story and art on both are excellent, it truly is a juggle.gif

Watchmen was BORING. Just in case you missed it the first time, I'll say it again -- Watchmen was BORING. sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

DKR kicked serious butt and redefined a character that people STILL care about today. yay.gif

Has is really been 20 years 893whatthe.gif man so thats what Pov, Hook and Burnt feel like. stooges.gif

lol! But, actually there have been some really great series since these two. "The One", "Brat Pack", and "Maxi-mortal", all by Rick Vietch, are fantastic stories.

Strangers in Paradise is an outstanding series.

Lots of stuff. Just haven't gotten the hype the "Big 2" have all these years.

Watchmen was BORING. Just in case you missed it the first time, I'll say it again -- Watchmen was BORING. sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

DKR kicked serious butt and redefined a character that people STILL care about today. yay.gif

WATCHMEN WAS BORING??????

I'm gonna sound like Ian when I say this, but have at you, sir!!! Have you no soul??

DKR was okay, I guess. Not too bad for some overrated upstart who's overrated. Yes, I said overrated. And too stylized and reliant on gratuitous violence.

And BORING. So there!!! tongue.gif

dude it was boring, gossip.gif i couldn't make it past the middle of issue #1 before i put it down forever. confused-smiley-013.gif i read DKR over and over and over again. to this day i own 4 HC and 1 limited HC, hell i even gave a HC to FFB as a thank you gift. did i mention that i also own the direct and non direct 1st ptrinting TPB's too. hail.gif

dude it was boring, gossip.gif i couldn't make it past the middle of issue #1 before i put it down forever. confused-smiley-013.gif i read DKR over and over and over again. to this day i own 4 HC and 1 limited HC, hell i even gave a HC to FFB as a thank you gift. did i mention that i also own the direct and non direct 1st ptrinting TPB's too. hail.gif

So your saying you're a fan then wink.gif

I just saw your Avatar 36_11_6.gif

Did you see MK's? I nearly pizzed myself when I saw it. 27_laughing.gif

No I didnt, doesnt he still have that picture of, well I'm not sure what it was, but maybe the gods were kind and changed it.

dave gibbons art was good, it was just the slow arse pace writing. confused-smiley-013.gifsorry.gif i just picked up the DC direct DKR collector action figures. acclaim.gif i just need batman to complete my set, seems like that's the one everybody wanted. foreheadslap.gif

NIce one, pimpy. I'm surprised you and FFB found Watchmen boring, though - I always thought it was pretty accessible, at least art-wise.

The art was the best part about Watchmen. Clean lines and clear layouts without a lot of funky garbage going on to detract from the telling of what was otherwise a very boring story with characters that I just didn't care about. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just saw your Avatar 36_11_6.gif

Did you see MK's? I nearly pizzed myself when I saw it. 27_laughing.gif

No I didnt, doesnt he still have that picture of, well I'm not sure what it was, but maybe the gods were kind and changed it.

Go to the user list and check it out.

WATCHMEN WAS BORING??????

I'm gonna sound like Ian when I say this, but have at you, sir!!! Have you no soul??

DKR was okay, I guess. Not too bad for some overrated upstart who's overrated. Yes, I said overrated. And too stylized and reliant on gratuitous violence.

And BORING. So there!!! tongue.gif

Goldust, it has come down to two of the best comics. I will say that Watchman made me think more about the effect

of living in a world with 'real' superheros, and added a little to a quickly developing paranoia as to who we trust, to do

what is right. The Dark Knight Returns gave us back a hero, and showed us what would drive a man to be that hero.

It showed us his soul, and made us fear that righteous judgment.

NIce one, pimpy. I'm surprised you and FFB found Watchmen boring, though - I always thought it was pretty accessible, at least art-wise.

The art was the best part about Watchmen. Clean lines and clear layouts without a lot of funky garbage going on to detract from the telling of what was otherwise a very boring story with characters that I just didn't care about. confused-smiley-013.gif

Darn you!!! Darn you all to heck!!!!

Wait a minute - are you saying you care about an aged, psychotic former super-hero who, having been reduced to a monolithic cipher languishing in obscurity, is caught in a dystopian vision of urban hell, muttering the odd oath through clenched teeth before proceeding to annihilate the enemy?

Radically different concept and level of characterization to the Watchmen, there. tongue.gif