• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to spot restoration....?
17 17

326 posts in this topic

ok so I've received my blacklight in the mail today, went to a pitch black room and nothing on the AF15 lit up (although lots of stuff on the carpet glow radiocatively :) ) .

Thread on black lights

So I talked to Brent at QualityComix and he says he didnt use a black light but he saw bleed through like from magic marker.

My question is: Wouldnt magic marker glow in the blacklight?

I opened the inside front cover and the top edge looked like bleed through, but I looked closer and the areas on the top edge were not colored on the other side. In fact they were lighter. It was almost as if the paper had chipped away from the inside cover, but the purple colored paper on the top from the outside was still there. So I dont think there was bleed through... any thoughts?

Black light is only one way to detect colour touch.

In the majority of cases with CGC, they catch it by eye.

Once your eye is trained what to look for it jumps out at you.

A lot of times you can feel it easier than you can see it.

This coming from you.

lol

ok so I've received my blacklight in the mail today, went to a pitch black room and nothing on the AF15 lit up (although lots of stuff on the carpet glow radiocatively :) ) .

Thread on black lights

So I talked to Brent at QualityComix and he says he didnt use a black light but he saw bleed through like from magic marker.

I opened the inside front cover and the top edge looked like bleed through, but I looked closer and the areas on the top edge were not colored on the other side. In fact they were lighter. It was almost as if the paper had chipped away from the inside cover, but the purple colored paper on the top from the outside was still there. So I dont think there was bleed through... any thoughts?

It would be unusual, although not impossible, for a seller like QualityComix to make a discovery mistake. It's not in their best interest to imagine restoration that isn't there. Did he specify the exact location?

If you want, get a digital camera, put it on macro, and take a few pics for us to look at what you are describing.

Also, look closely at the inside cover near the spine area. Sometimes the bleed through is hidden under the other wraps.

Thread on black lights

It would be unusual, although not impossible, for a seller like QualityComix to make a discovery mistake. It's not in their best interest to imagine restoration that isn't there. Did he specify the exact location?

If you want, get a digital camera, put it on macro, and take a few pics for us to look at what you are describing.

Also, look closely at the inside cover near the spine area. Sometimes the bleed through is hidden under the other wraps.

ok will do, thanks!

Would magic marker glow under a black light?

I've bought a lot from Brent, usually he's spot on, but I got an Av 22 9.0 that came back 9.6 after pressing...

He's got lot to do and works fast and he doesnt want returns, so if anything is questionable, he will undergrade if anything in my experience because its a pain to deal with returns. He makes his money when he buys it (he pays what he can comfortably grade it at, even if it might be undergraded, who cares, he still made money, everyone is happy etc).

photo-7.jpg

I think he downgraded it because it had a little dust shadow on the top middle right

Edited by red rocks

Thread on black lights

ok will do, thanks!

Would magic marker glow under a black light?

i have one book that had 2 questionable areas of different colors. one glowed brightly, the other showed up very dark. on a different book, the color touch didn't show at all and was mainly visible by eye. seems like a combo of looking closely, black light, and looking for bleed-through is required to catch it all.

I talked to Matt N today and he said only black magic markers wont show up in black light, and other magic marker colors would. So I dont think there is any color touch because the areas in question are the dark red on spidey's left arm in the AF 15 and the very top purple edge. He said he would need to see the top edge of the book to confirm.

mastercontrolprogram emailed me and said that dark colors usually wont show under black light. I believe he was talking about magic marker dark colors.

As far as I know it's not specific to magic marker, it's completely an effect of color and light--with black light you can't see black color touch with any kind of material from magic marker that bleeds to acrylic paint that doesn't.

i just bought a fantastic four #1 on ebay....it looked good online - maybe at least a 4 or 5, and the buy it now was 2600.....but as we all know it was too good to be true.

it was hard for me to spot restoration, but cgc caught it. color retouch, spine split sealed, staples replaced, tears sealed...basically the book was completely taken apart, retouched, and put back together.

on the plus side, it graded a 6.5 - and even better, "only" moderate (a). so still a good deal id say. at least break even.

probably put it up for sale, i saw a 6.0 go on ebay for over 6K, and the proceeds will go towards a blue label.

i wouldnt mind restored copies so much, if everyone else didnt hate them so much along with their PLOD.

I found restoration on one comic (after it was graded :mad: ) that didn't show with a blacklight - but did show when I tweaked a photo of it in Photoshop. I set the brightness to 100% and contrast to -100% and it was clear as day: marker used to fill in some creases along the spine. Amateur night resto!

The answer is... a good job of restoration, you probably won't be able to tell. I use to sell postage stamps. And even in that small of an area of a stamp, it was almost impossible to tell a lot of the time if there were repairs or not.

And grading companies don't know either. I had sent many stamps into be graded. Had a Scott #1 with a hole big enough to throw a cat through, come back graded as perfect.

Trimming? My local comic book dealer is under impression, that if you measure the comics sides you can tell if it has been trimmed. Honk Honk, wrong answer. that will only work if there is obvious trimming. Some comics were simply trimmed different at different times. It's not like they really cared back then how they cut the books, so we could make sure today they haven't been trimmed. they didn't care at all, and the books came out any which way they happen to, especially the older ones.

Put this link up in the PGM Hulk 181 thread. One or two individuals suggested there may be restoration but my eyes aren't seasoned enough to see what is possibly restored.

The comic is not in hand yet, but rest assured I'm going to black light it when it arrives.

If it doesn't pass the sniff test it's going back. Purchased raw on the bay with a return policy of 14 days.

Please help me out by reviewing these images and telling me what your impressions are.

All comments are appreciated:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1758694&ppid=1122ℑ=630246561&images=630246561,630246583,630246598,630246621,630246637,630246652,630246670,630246687,630246700,630246719,630246742,630246761,630246773,630246791,630246811,630246839,630246865,630246887,630246899&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

If you have West telling you something, I'd listen. Aside from the guy who actually did the resto to the book, you're not going to get a more qualified opinion on it.