• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to spot restoration....?
17 17

326 posts in this topic

how can red or green inks bleed through the covers when these was no red or green ink ever used in the printing of the cover, hmmm???

Same with Blue ink - it is Cyan and a lot lighter than what we think of as "blue" - cyan is to blue as pink is to red. (just saw this - finally getting over flu but still a bit out of it. I shall be posting new recipes soon!).

"Wet cleaning entails immersing the cover in a suitable bath."

What is used for the "wet cleaning"? Calcium Hydroxide? Chloramine-T?, or something else?? I have read nearly every post here regarding restoration, and you seem the most likely candidate to know the answer.

I am very interested in this topic. Thanks.

I'm also curious about what is used. Could you please post the answer to the last question.

Actually, I cannot! Wet cleaning varies and is dependent on the type of stains to be rid of. Distilled water is the reagent for a plain old general wet cleaning - but not a submersion but a float. However, any aqueous wash will impact the paper and the fibres. :-(

Hey, I am new here, and this is my first post.

Is it possible that CGC could ever be wrong about restoration?

I am totally pissed that I just put down $200 and my comics are worthless. All my comics came back with the restored label. I got all my comics from the same source, I asked him and he said he didn't touch the books. So yea, that's my question. The labels say "small amount of color touch on the cover" or "very small amount of color touch on the cover". Is there any explanation for this besides the fact that the guy I dealt with cheated me? I have dealt with him before and he was legit. Could CGC have mistaken restoration with an error in printing? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am totally pissed that I just put down $200 and my comics are worthless. All my comics came back with the restored label. I got all my comics from the same source, I asked him and he said he didn't touch the books. So yea, that's my question. The labels say "small amount of color touch on the cover" or "very small amount of color touch on the cover". Is there any explanation for this besides the fact that the guy I dealt with cheated me? I have dealt with him before and he was legit. Could CGC have mistaken restoration with an error in printing? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Seiously doubt that CGC is wrong on a color touch.

Questions:

1) Want to say who the "source" was, as many board members know who does small color touches and who doesn't?

2) What books were they?

Sorry for your misfortune, but CGC is in exsistence for that very reason. To protect the buyer from overgraded and restored books.

CGC can definitely be wrong about restoration. They've irrefutably missed it on occasion and I've heard anecdotal evidence about false positives as well.

It's really unlikely that CGC would be mistaken on color touch, however. Especially since it's more than one book and it's all from the same source (!)

There really isn't an error in printing that would look like CT. I can imagine a one in a billion scenario, but there's no likely error in the printing process that would look like color loss covered up with new material.

Is it Amateur or Professional?

So yea, I called the guy and he guarantees me 100% that he did not touch up the books. I still believe him, as I have dealt with him many times before. The CGC label says "slight professional" restoration. I am ready to accept my losses ~$1300, but I would appreciate any suggestions. Remove the restoration (~$350)? Try CGG? A refund seems out of the question as the transaction is over 6 months old. Any ideas on how much the grade would drop if I had the restoration professionally removed? The seller sells on e-bay, but not regularly.

So yea, I called the guy and he guarantees me 100% that he did not touch up the books. I still believe him, as I have dealt with him many times before. The CGC label says "slight professional" restoration. I am ready to accept my losses ~$1300, but I would appreciate any suggestions. Remove the restoration (~$350)? Try CGG? A refund seems out of the question as the transaction is over 6 months old. Any ideas on how much the grade would drop if I had the restoration professionally removed? The seller sells on e-bay, but not regularly.

Quick Points;

1) I'm would bet a lot of money that the books are color touched (doubt that CGC is incorrect).

2) The dealer probably knows that they are color touched. Might not have done it themself, but they probably know.

3) As an ethical person you can either try to have the color touch removed by a professional, or sell the books disclosing the restoration. DO NOT JUST SEND IT TO CGG, and hope they don't catch it.

4) As a benefit to all board members, it would be nice if you told who the dealer was? Was it Comic-Keys (who is known to have restored books)? If not, who? By not disclosing the dealer, you are actually doing a disservice to all collectors. I would assume you would want other board members to discuss which dealers are reputable and which aren't.

5) Post scans if you want to know if it's worth getting the color touch removed.

While I know you feel terrible, you aren't the first, and won't be the last to lose a lot of money buying restored books. That's why CGC books get a premium. You get what you pay for.

So yea, I called the guy and he guarantees me 100% that he did not touch up the books. I still believe him, as I have dealt with him many times before.

Any idea if the books were obtained by the dealer from the same collector? That may be one answer.

I don't have a scanner or scans of the books, so I can't post any. If the books were apparent 9.6, do you think I should pay to have the restoration removed? The cover is a dark one, so I think that the grade might be a lot lower with the "small amount of color touch" removed. Any thoughts on this? Have it removed? Sell it as restored and accept the monetary loss? btw, the sellers e-bay ID is "rileyfigueroa". Thanks for all your help so far.

I don't have a scanner or scans of the books, so I can't post any. If the books were apparent 9.6, do you think I should pay to have the restoration removed? The cover is a dark one, so I think that the grade might be a lot lower with the "small amount of color touch" removed. Any thoughts on this? Have it removed? Sell it as restored and accept the monetary loss? btw, the sellers e-bay ID is "rileyfigueroa". Thanks for all your help so far.

Hard for me to say - except for refusing to pay too much for even a "classic" pre-code horror cover, I tend to think in terms of why I got the book and what I like about it. (not a value judgement at all). So I really can't say one way or the other - but I bet others here can. To me, if you want to sell them and replace with maybe slabbed Bluw labels, I would check the "unrestorers" and see how much an unrestore would cost, maybe get a feel for what garde it may get in Blue label, then either decide to keep or sell and get a blanket blue label (but you never know if the next blue label you get will be unrestored). Man am I gald I don;t have a slabed collection. I swear I would go more nuts than I am! smile.gif

don't have a scanner or scans of the books, so I can't post any. If the books were apparent 9.6, do you think I should pay to have the restoration removed? The cover is a dark one, so I think that the grade might be a lot lower with the "small amount of color touch" removed. Any thoughts on this? Have it removed? Sell it as restored and accept the monetary loss? btw, the sellers e-bay ID is "rileyfigueroa". Thanks for all your help so far.

What book (s) were they and what are the grades.

It's probably going to cost you $75-100 per book to remove the color touch. And it really depends on where it is (and how much), to determine how much the grade will be affected. Plus, you have to spend money to get the book graded again.

Well, that being the case (restoartion fees + regrading fees) I have decided to just cut my losses. I am gonna take the books out of their cases and frame them or something. Do I have to notify CGC when I take a book out of the case?

Of course you HAVE TO notify CGC!!!!

CGC is like the matress police. Every couple years, they will knock on your door to make sure you still have your books in the slab (or at least sent back the labels).

Actually, if you send back the labels, CGC will take the books out of the census. But since they are restored, it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Hi POV,

Can you recommend common (easy to obtain) sources for the chemicals Naphtha and Toluene? I've experimented with Naphtha to remove a tape repair from an interior page of a book, then Toluene to remove the stain that was left because I didn't disassemble the comic and dip the entire page. I also had an incident where I submersed an entire low grade book in that same Naphtha-based cleaner, but I think I left it in too long (about 15 minutes) because much of the ink from the cover literally dripped right off.

I suspect the products I used that contained these chemicals were not pure enough.

For Naphtha, I used the "General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner from 3M (part # 08984)". The Toluene was an aerosol carburetor cleaner. Can't remember the brand. The Toluene was somewhat helpful, but did not completely remove the stain. Using something with a propellant in it was probably a no-no, although I first sprayed a sufficient amount into a glass cup so I could moisten a cotton swab with it.

Thanks,

-Jim

Hey Jim,

Well first off I looked up that 3M Cleaner 08984. It isn't the same as just Naptha. The Napth i have used and seen used is at the hardware store and called VMP (or VM&P) Naptha. I've seen books left in it for quite a long time - over an hour - with no impact on the inks, not that I am recommending that long a soak.

As far as that Toluene stuff goes. I haven't used it but to be honest it doesn't sound like the best thing to me.