• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to spot restoration....?
17 17

326 posts in this topic

This might be the best thread I've ever read through on the site. Full of valuable and interesting information. Povertyrow, you deserve a special thanks for having so much to offer, so thank you on behalf of all the people reading your posts.

Hi, I am a comic book restorer and new here at the forums so I wanted to say Hi and show you a little before after of dry cleaning to get started.

CopyofScan0022.jpg

Scan0026.jpg

Welcome to the boards!

Just posting an encapsualtion of some of the things I have posted here. This was from an article I had written in 2006. Made some updates, edited it, removed some outdated info.

Thanks povertyrow and Ze-man for the high level of information and discussion you have provided in this thread. I checked in just to scan the new posts and have literally lost an hour to a review of the discussion. It was an hour well-lost. (thumbs u

I quoted a small section of an earlier post, povertyrow, just to ask out of curiousity, if you have the time, what information did you believe had become outdated?

I agree, this and other threads was where I first cut my teeth in learning what restoration actually is, and is among the best resources on the web that discuss it. It's one thing to show examples of poorly done, or obvious restoration. And another to try and show/discuss the types of things people need to know in spotting resatoration when buying comics. The types of things that go unoticed until they get their book back in a PLOD.

And your post reminds me I have a lot of stuff to upload that show examples of spotting CT, staples replaced and different types of spine reinforcement.

Just need to find the time to get it all written up!

And while I dont want to speak for Pov I think his "out dated" comment was more about some restoration processes having changed since he dabbled in resto years ago. Every time we speak it is always interesting to see which ones have remained unchanged, and where others evolved.

That is a really nice illustration of tear seal. I wanted to know who I could order that type of paper from. If you could tell me Ze-man that would be great ;) I like mine but I could use that kind too. :)

That youtube video on pressing is funny. I am new to the comic restoration industry and suprised how heated of a topic Restoration is. I am a believer that if is considered restoration it should be disclosed. I can see there is a disagrement on what is considered restoration . I am Good with going with the majority on those matters as I am not interested in creating a waves.

Unlikely that your confused. More likely I am. I got excited I guess. Sorry about that. Although I dont think Dry cleaning is restoration there are many professionals who do . To me dry cleaning is like washing your car if its been drivin. If the comic is read and sits on a desk for any period of time the bottom will pick up dirt. You should be able to maintain it without it being restoration. I'm kinda a car guy so when I think of restoration I think of fixing dents and and paint not cleaning. Not sure about pressing but as long as the majority doesn't call it restoration I'm cool with that.

Unlikely that your confused. More likely I am. I got excited I guess. Sorry about that. Although I dont think Dry cleaning is restoration there are many professionals who do . To me dry cleaning is like washing your car if its been drivin. If the comic is read and sits on a desk for any period of time the bottom will pick up dirt. You should be able to maintain it without it being restoration. I'm kinda a car guy so when I think of restoration I think of fixing dents and and paint not cleaning. Not sure about pressing but as long as the majority doesn't call it restoration I'm cool with that.

It wasn't just your post that I was referring to, an earlier post also discussed dry cleaning. I guess there's probably a general disagreement about whether its resto or not, I sure the principles of full disclosure would mean dry cleaning should be disclosed.

I think if an entire cover was dry cleaned that should be disclosed and is borderline restorative. As opposed to if somebody swipes a few times on the BC spine of a book, that is so minor as to not really bother me. But that's just me.

And MasterCPU, look up...University Products, or Talas Online for all kinds of archival supplies.

Yup, I had been asked by enough people in PM's about it that I tore a reader comic to take those photos. It served as good enough example to illustrate what a tear seal looks like, both the professional kind and the kind that might be sealed to deceive.

There is indeed a great wealth of knowledge on these boards, dozens of people with a lot of restoration detection expertise and I am honestly baffled why more of them don't share what they know in this sub forum, even if it's redundant. Ya just can't have too much good info.

Guess it's boring stuff to most funny book fans. zzz

While Methyl Cellulose can be used as a binding or fixative. Try a wheat starch based glue. It acts much more like real glue compared to cellulose which is mainly used as a sizing agent.

And since both are water soluble , I would go with the stronger one.