• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,178 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It’s a shame they don’t feel Grant Gustin is “Hollywood” material. He’s a great Flash.

2773399D-F5BB-4F51-89AC-D2D5DA1C23F5.jpeg

Think they are more worried that his association with the TV show is too strong, so they would run risk of a movie feeling like a long TV episode. He also would go into the movie with all that TV canon baggage for better or worse. Thus why almost all companies avoid doing this.

On 10/20/2022 at 3:01 PM, Straw-Man said:

they'll probably rethink this when it comes out that during all the QE II funeral stuff he broke in to 10 downing and swiped some booze.

No, that was Boris.

On 10/20/2022 at 5:55 PM, drotto said:

Think they are more worried that his association with the TV show is too strong, so they would run risk of a movie feeling like a long TV episode. He also would go into the movie with all that TV canon baggage for better or worse. Thus why almost all companies avoid doing this.

I can see the logic in that thinking - still a shame. Grant Gustin has 8 seasons of pre-qualifying an audience to his likability and demeanor as Barry Allen - Ezra Miller has a couple cameos? And I'm definitely speaking from a bias, but Ezra Miller's portrayal of Barry Allen is filled with stereotypical "awkward nerdy irreverence" that just doesn't connect with me. Granted, they are cramming his personality into - what? - 30 cumulative minutes of screen time? But while I see the logic in Hollywood not wanting to cast TV counterparts, they fail to see that character development that spans minutes comes across as ham-fisted compared to the same character development cultivated over multiple seasons of a TV show. But, whaddya gonna do?

On 10/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I can see the logic in that thinking - still a shame. Grant Gustin has 8 seasons of pre-qualifying an audience to his likability and demeanor as Barry Allen - Ezra Miller has a couple cameos? And I'm definitely speaking from a bias, but Ezra Miller's portrayal of Barry Allen is filled with stereotypical "awkward nerdy irreverence" that just doesn't connect with me. Granted, they are cramming his personality into - what? - 30 cumulative minutes of screen time? But while I see the logic in Hollywood not wanting to cast TV counterparts, they fail to see that character development that spans minutes comes across as ham-fisted compared to the same character development cultivated over multiple seasons of a TV show. But, whaddya gonna do?

With the release of Zack Snyder's Justice League, it became clear Barry Allen and Vic Stone as the new kids became central to the team's success in the end. Especially with The Flash reversing time via the Speed Force. So those few minutes on screen were not throwaway appearances.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I rally enjoyed about the first 4 seasons of Flash.  After that it felt like it was repeating itself, and they had kinda run out of ideas.  The last few seasons feel like a show past its prime.  So would that feeling pass onto movies?  Remember when Star Trek the Next Generation went ro rhe big screen, while some of the movies were OK.  They still felt small, and TV like.  I know that are a conical continuation of thebTV show, but they just never felt epic movie like.  Like of hate JJ Abrams Star Trek, but recasting it felt like a big budget movie, which the other never did.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:59 AM, drotto said:

I rally enjoyed about the first 4 seasons of Flash.  After that it felt like it was repeating itself, and they had kinda run out of ideas.  The last few seasons feel like a show past its prime.  So would that feeling pass onto movies?  Remember when Star Trek the Next Generation went ro rhe big screen, while some of the movies were OK.  They still felt small, and TV like.  I know that are a conical continuation of thebTV show, but they just never felt epic movie like.  Like of hate JJ Abrams Star Trek, but recasting it felt like a big budget movie, which the other never did.

Very true about Flash's later seasons. As one of my guys in the kitchen says: "I'm sick of them defeating the season-long problem with 'the power of love'." lol

The Flash is one of those shows I toughed out because they did such a good job the first few seasons with the characters. You liked them, cared about them and stuck it out (I mean, come on - who doesn't like Joe West?)

Good point on the STTNG movies. I am a HUGE fan, so I really liked the big screen versions - but your point is valid, I can see people perceiving it that way. First Contact was pretty awesome, and Insurrection and Nemesis weren't as solid - but I, personally, enjoyed the budget bump and how they utilized it to make it movie-like, rather than a polished TV show. Not to mention that STTNG went off the air while they continued to put out excellent seasons - to me, that show never got stale or repurposed. They seemed to develop unique angles to keep them going - I'm glad they went when they did, because without a major shift in format (like a season-long serial story like BSG) they may have gotten repetitive or regurgitated.

I also felt they did a good job with Serenity's transition from TV to big screen. But, I get that not everyone has that view.

I do fully admit that my distaste for Ezra Miller's Barry Allen comes mostly because I am a tried-and-true Grant Gustin Barry Allen fan. I don't feel that Ezra MIller brings anything that Grant Gustin couldn't bring (other than court-ordered restitution papers) to the role, but I'll give it a watch and see how he does. I'm not afraid to change my mind and opinions when someone does a kickarse job portraying a character.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 10/21/2022 at 12:13 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Very true about Flash's later seasons. As one of my guys in the kitchen says: "I'm sick of them defeating the season-long problem with 'the power of love'." lol

The Flash is one of those shows I toughed out because they did such a good job the first few seasons with the characters. You liked them, cared about them and stuck it out (I mean, come on - who doesn't like Joe West?)

Good point on the STTNG movies. I am a HUGE fan, so I really liked the big screen versions - but your point is valid, I can see people perceiving it that way. First Contact was pretty awesome, and Insurrection and Nemesis weren't as solid - but I, personally, enjoyed the budget bump and how they utilized it to make it movie-like, rather than a polished TV show. Not to mention that STTNG went off the air while they continued to put out excellent seasons - to me, that show never got stale or repurposed. They seemed to develop unique angles to keep them going - I'm glad they went when they did, because without a major shift in format (like a season-long serial story like BSG) they may have gotten repetitive or regurgitated.

I also felt they did a good job with Serenity's transition from TV to big screen. But, I get that not everyone has that view.

I do fully admit that my distaste for Ezra Miller's Barry Allen comes mostly because I am a tried-and-true Grant Gustin Barry Allen fan. I don't feel that Ezra MIller brings anything that Grant Gustin couldn't bring (other than court-ordered restitution papers) to the role, but I'll give it a watch and see how he does. I'm not afraid to change my mind and opinions when someone does a kickarse job portraying a character.

I am with you in far preferring Grant over Ezra. 

I think that The Flash TV show sucks, and there's no way in Hel you could convince me to ignore the show and pretend that he's a different Flash for the DCEU. You also can't convince me that the show would be good backstory for DCEU's Flash. If Miller is going to be recast, it cannot be Gustin.

On 10/25/2022 at 12:35 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that The Flash TV show sucks, and there's no way in Hel you could convince me to ignore the show and pretend that he's a different Flash for the DCEU. You also can't convince me that the show would be good backstory for DCEU's Flash. If Miller is going to be recast, it cannot be Gustin.

Agreed.

The Flash TV show is better than it had any right to be - but I think the cinematic Flash needs a clean break from that story, that Flash, that universe.

Not saying it should be Ezra for the long haul, but re-casting him with Gustin would be an unforced error and unnecessary step backwards.

Ditto with most / all of the actors/storylines from the Arrowverse.

On 10/25/2022 at 5:56 PM, Larryw7 said:

What happened to Michael Keaton?

The old leadership team was using Michael Keaton to replace Ben Affleck. But times have changed, leading to these film delays to supposedly get in some reshoots.

Michael Keaton was going to be front and center with The Flash and Batgirl. Not sure what we are going to see moving forward with Keaton.