• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Comparison Test posted by richard8158

5 posts in this topic

What did it prove?

Okay, just what we all needed, another comparison of grading companies. I had four previously graded books that I wanted to convert to CGC. Plus I wanted to find out for myself how they all compare.

The first book was GI Combat #29 PGX 7.5 WP

The second was GI Combat #35 PGX 8.0 OWW

The third was GI Combat #118 CBCS 9.0 WP

The fourth was GI Combat #119 CBCS 8.5 OWW

Three were sent in one group and the #35 with another group.

I skewed the test by having all four comics pressed before grading. I thought that the other companies could use the help since we all have seen other tests.

The results from the group with the three came back with nice grades. The 7.5 PGX held the same grade after a press and page quality remained the same. The 8.5 CBCS 119 came back with a 9.0 and also kept it's white pages. The 9.0 CBCS returned with a nice 9.2 although page quality went from OWW to just OW.

The #35 did not fare as well. The PGX 8.0 went to a 6.0 CGC with OWW pages. I must say that many in the last group seemed to receive some very harsh grades. I might be getting old and my eyes aren't the best, but that comic is way better than any 6.0. I'm not convinced that it rated the 8.0 either but 6.0? No way. It is a very clean nice book. I was going to convert all of my other companies to CGC but not as sure as I was. I always felt that CGC graded very strictly, even undergrading (which I appreciate - to a point), but to drop four grades? I'm not sure what to think....

See more journals by richard8158

My last batch to cgc came back incredibly harsh, I was just looking them over again and some of the grades make no sense looking at the books. I received a 6.0 and 7.0 that appear as good if not better than one of the 9.0 s. They probably aren't worth the expense of regarding as I was planning on selling these but it makes me mad Ill lose out on a chunk of money due to grades I think are blatantly wrong, especially when placed next to my other 200 or so cgc books.

That's rough, been hearing a lot lately about CGC getting tougher on grades. I hope it's not true...we want accuracy, not overly strict or loose grades. I just sent in a few Modern books and a few Silver books so we'll see what happens. It's gotta make it harder when you're grading a book that was already graded once because then there is a certain expectation...luckily the books I sent in are raw so I have no expectations whatsoever.

My last batch to cgc came back incredibly harsh, I was just looking them over again and some of the grades make no sense looking at the books. I received a 6.0 and 7.0 that appear as good if not better than one of the 9.0 s. They probably aren't worth the expense of regarding as I was planning on selling these but it makes me mad Ill lose out on a chunk of money due to grades I think are blatantly wrong, especially when placed next to my other 200 or so cgc books.

I really think that both you and the original poster should look at the CGC notes before complaining about your grades. Just because a book 'looks' better than it's assigned grade does not necessarily mean CGC was grading harshly. There are probably problems the eye does not see. Also, in many cases, the slab itself hides problems from the eyes. Folds and wrinkles will be pressed out by the pressure of the slab. I've cracked out many a book that I thought was undergraded, only to find CGC was correct.