• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EDGE OF TOMORROW 2 starring Tom Cruise (2018)
1 1

72 posts in this topic

I really liked the first movie, but there has to be a real doubt that #2 doesn't get made after an 8 year wait.

Have they even got a -script?

On 12/12/2022 at 4:41 PM, Beige said:

I really liked the first movie, but there has to be a real doubt that #2 doesn't get made after an 8 year wait.

Have they even got a --script?

I think it is a moot point now due to the penny pinching by studios. The first box office was not strong enough.

In a recent interview with Deadline, Blunt offered her own thoughts on the long-gestating sequel and explained why the follow-up was taking so long. Suggesting that for the sequel to succeed the film would need to be “as ambitious as the first one”, she questioned how much more mileage could be derived from the first film’s time loop concept. Nonetheless, The Quiet Place actress suggested she would relish the opportunity to reunite with Cruise for a sequel. Check out her comments below:

"Well, I would love to do another one. I don’t know when and I don’t know how, but I would love it. I don’t know if my back could take it. In the funniest, most charming way in the world because [Tom Cruise] was such a gem to me. But I think we just knew I just had to toughen up and get through it. Because otherwise, you would spend the entire film fighting against the fact that you wished your suit was lighter, but it wasn’t. But I loved the experience so much, and I would love to work with Doug [Liman] again. It’s like we have to create something as ambitious as the first one. How much more mileage can we get out of a repeating day? What’s the new construct?"

Emily Blunt is all for teaming with Tom Cruise again for an Edge of Tomorrow sequel.

While appearing on a recent episode of the Happy Sad Confused podcast, the actress said she wishes there could be another film and revealed that she has actually read a -script for one before.

“There was one that Doug [Liman] kind of slithered over to me,” she told host Josh Horowitz. “I mean, I would love to make it a reality but I just don’t know when or how. And how many Mission Impossibles does he [Cruise] need.”

Blunt jokes that Cruise needs to “come back to the side where you can be … like wasn’t he brilliant as the cowardly hero? Incredible.” In the 2014 film, directed by Liman, Blunt starred opposite Cruise, who keeps reliving the same day over and over again fighting aliens.

image.png.81099435727936f7a4dfbfb488b4a981.png

What Tom Cruise’s New Deal Really Means

DeLuca and Abdy have also hoped to lure Cruise back for a follow-up to the 2104 film Edge of Tomorrow, which the studio already had in development before they took over. (The well-reviewed picture, which cost $175 million, only grossed a disappointing $370.5 million but developed a cult fan base after its release. McQuarrie said in 2014 that Cruise had an idea for a prequel; director Doug Liman said it would be better than the original.)

Cruise’s new deal with Warners won’t produce anything starring Cruise anytime soon given that the star will be working on the latest and possibly last Mission: Impossible until May 2025. And the deal doesn’t actually bind Cruise to do anything for the studio. “I’m not sure what [the Warners deal] is,” says a competitor. “It sounds like more of a David Zaslav headline than a movie.”

Edited by Bosco685

Liman saying that a prequel would be better than the original is blatantly ridiculous hype. the original EDGE OF TOMORROW is one of the most compelling sci-fi movies i can remember. i watched it again last week for around the 5th time, and it never, ever gets old for even one moment. they need to stop making sequels and prequels to things that DO NOT MERIT THEM! let it be a great one-off! 

My fervent hope is that EOT2 is not just a rehash of EOT as so many of today's sequels are. EOT is great - it will be exceedingly difficult to even match, much less exceed.  A different story set in the same world?  A prequel showing the invasion, etc?  Could be good.  Be original, writers and directors, don't just copy what's happened before.

Emily Blunt Addresses Edge of Tomorrow Sequel: "It Feels Like It Could Be Good"

Recently, Blunt appeared on Josh Horowitz's Happy Sad Confused podcast. It was there the actress talked everything from The Devil Wears Prada to Oppenheimer and more. Of course, Edge of Tomorrow was mentioned as a highlight of Blunt's career, and she was asked about a sequel.

"It could be good," she shared before touching on the movie's previous plans for a sequel. "I think when we first talked about a sequel it was right before I was about to do Mary Poppins so it was quite awhile ago. I think if we were going to do one, we would have to reimagine what the sequel would look like."