• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should eBay allow photocopied copies of rare comics to be sold?

30 posts in this topic

They come up on my searches all the time and seem to be getting even more of them then ever. This dealer sells only photocopied covers. The photos however look like real copies. Are they trying to swindle people who don't read the descriptions?

http://m.ebay.com/sch/thethreeauctioneers/m.html?isRefine=true&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_trksid=p2056116.m3555.l6241&_trksid=p2056116.m3555.l6241&_mwBanner=1

I reported one item and wrote the guy asking why he's selling counterfeits.

Am I wrong? Thoughts?

They come up on my searches all the time and seem to be getting even more of them then ever. This dealer sells only photocopied covers. The photos however look like real copies. Are they trying to swindle people who don't read the descriptions?

http://m.ebay.com/sch/thethreeauctioneers/m.html?isRefine=true&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=50&_trksid=p2056116.m3555.l6241&_trksid=p2056116.m3555.l6241&_mwBanner=1

Am I wrong? Thoughts?

They all say "photocopy" in the titles. What's the problem? (shrug)

As long as the comic is in public domain domain and is identified as a photocopy/reprint in the title and/or description.

I clicked on one of the Black Cats listed and it appears to be a full issue as the description identifies it as a stapled together reading copy. Not just a cover.

I see nothing wrong with this other than probably being low quality and already available for free download on any number of public domain comic website.

I just feel it's being presented as looking like the real comic by the look of all the scans I've seen so far. And they're mixed in with real comics listed. Just feels creepy to me like maybe they're shooting for the bozos who look at a scan without reading the descriptions and hit bid. I get bidders who do that and then back out. I dunno just seems fishy to me.

I just feel it's being presented as looking like the real comic by the look of all the scans I've seen so far. And they're mixed in with real comics listed. Just feels creepy to me like maybe they're shooting for the bozos who look at a scan without reading the descriptions and hit bid. I get bidders who do that and then back out. I dunno just seems fishy to me.

I have sympathy for bidders when the item is misrepresented. I have no sympathy for those that don't bother to read a title or description. I don't see any issue with these, and even the price isn't terrible if it's a high quality print. Printer ink isn't all that cheap these days.

i see no issue with it..at least with this guy. He seems pretty clear and simply found a market for something he can offer. I think it's kind'v neat...especially for my kids .

It's no different than costume jewelry . The problem isn't this guy..it's the one's who don't read the description (as you stated happens) and then feel jilted - even though they thought they were maybe stealing from this guy and were ok with it .

And like everything else in any market..I'm sure there are people passing this kind of stuff off as original...but this guy's just doing his thing ....nothing wrong here (imo)

If it is in public domain and it is being presented as for what it actually is there should not be a problem.

I believe that I do know however that a company like Hasbro tried at one point to get the customizers selling their customized action figures off of eBay and at shows they were repping. In 2014 or 2015, Hasbro refused to do Joe Con and Botcon unless one customizer pulled his customized figures from the floor.

Am I wrong? Thoughts?

The guy is on the up.

He's not breaking any law.

He's not mis-representing anything.

His auctions are clearly defined & described. He's providing a service some will find useful.

His product seems fairly priced as well.

He's found a little niche and he's trying to make a few bob. Good luck to him. (shrug)

I should note they are listed in categories like comics > Golden Age 1938 - 1955. Maybe eBay should have a category for replicas. I think they might already.

I get that maybe they're doing a good thing by making these available to the masses per se, but I still think they ought to picture the actual reprints you get for your money.

As long as he sticks to the public domain and doesn't represent his photocopies as originals, then I have no problem with him. He's very clearly not trying to misrepresent them and as another poster said, you can't blame the seller if the buyer reads neither the title nor the description.

I'd be more concerned about the people who buy these and what their intentions are.

As long as he sticks to the public domain and doesn't represent his photocopies as originals, then I have no problem with him. He's very clearly not trying to misrepresent them and as another poster said, you can't blame the seller if the buyer reads neither the title nor the description.

I'd be more concerned about the people who buy these and what their intentions are.

Maybe their intentions are to read them because they can't afford the originals :gossip:

I should note they are listed in categories like comics > Golden Age 1938 - 1955. Maybe eBay should have a category for replicas. I think they might already.

I get that maybe they're doing a good thing by making these available to the masses per se, but I still think they ought to picture the actual reprints you get for your money.

The Phantom Lady I clicked on had the front and back covers and one interior page.

I do not know how clearer you want it to be than this from his auction -

"This auction is for one Frankenstein #20 Photocopy Comic Book. This is a print out of a scan, or in some cases microfiche, of the original comic book which was found to be in the public domain and free of copyright. These are intended for reading copies and are not printed in replica style. It is 8 1/2 x 11" with a slight white border where it is double stapled. It is excellent for reading purposes and is in color. Comes in a magazine bag and board in excellent condition, never read."