• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight Returns question

19 posts in this topic

my friend who doesn't read comics is reading one of my DKR HC currently. he asked is the origianl robin dead in the book? i don't remember if he is or not, so is he alive or dead?

thank in advance, acclaim.gif

pimpy

Ya know El, I don't know - I think there is a capsule with the Robin costume is there not?? Or is that just my post Jason Todd Batcave memory. That would be a good question, when DKR was written only two Robins were Jason Todd and Grayson.

my friend who doesn't read comics is reading one of my DKR HC currently. he asked is the origianl robin dead in the book? i don't remember if he is or not, so is he alive or dead?

thank in advance, acclaim.gif

pimpy

The original Robin, I believe, was dead. The "new" Robin finds the costume in a capsule, and dons it.

Best,

The Dark Knight Returns is an Elseworld's story, meaning it lies outside the DC universe continuity. I would assume the costume belonged to Grayson.

I think it was Jason Todd, if it was a memorial to the dead Robin. Grayson turned out to be a villain in DKSA so he was alive at the time DKR.

The Dark Knight Returns is an Elseworld's story, meaning it lies outside the DC universe continuity. I would assume the costume belonged to Grayson.

DKR came out three years before the first Elseworlds book. Are you saying that DC retroactively made DKR Elseworlds?

DKR came out three years before the first Elseworlds book. Are you saying that DC retroactively made DKR Elseworlds?

I read somewhere DC considers DKR an Elseworlds story even though some aspects have made it into the Batman mythos...

In fact....wasn't the Elseworld concept started as a result of DKR popularity years after it's publication and DC's desire to do more "imaginary" stories outside the DC universe proper... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I think it was Jason Todd, if it was a memorial to the dead Robin. Grayson turned out to be a villain in DKSA so he was alive at the time DKR.

This is what I always thought. Grayson's return in DKSA confirms it. thumbsup2.gif

This is what I always thought. Grayson's return in DKSA confirms it. thumbsup2.gif

Yep, take a look at the bottom of page 11 of the 1st issue: He struggles relentlessley, hatefully, to be free-- I will not let him. I gave my word. For Jason. Never. Never Again. Bruce Wayne is saying this as he goes in to the Bat Cave, where everything is covered up except for the illuminated Robin costume. The implication is that Jason Todd's death caused the Batman to retire. Jason was still very much alive in regular continuity when DKR was published.

Later, before the new female Robin appears, the Batman is thinking about Grayson in very much the past tense. As I recall, Grayson's whereabouts are not addressed in the original DKR-- though clearly it is Jason's absence that is the more traumatic for the Batman.

To add to the Elseworlds discussion, there are several books that were retrofit under the Elseworlds banner. Mike Mignola's stunning Gotham by Gaslight is now officially the First Elseworlds book, for example, even though it wasn't originally published under the Elseworlds banner (a banner that didn't exist at the time.)

DKR isn't "officially" Elseworlds (I don't think), but I know for certain it's not thought of as being mainstream DC Continuity.

Gotham by Gaslight was awesome. 893applaud-thumb.gif I read it quite a long time ago, and totally forgot about it until now.

Gotham by Gaslight was awesome. 893applaud-thumb.gif I read it quite a long time ago, and totally forgot about it until now.

It's one of my favorite Batman stories of all time. Easily.

Last time that I read it was the day it came out. Think I'll break it out after dinner tonight and enjoy it again!

Yep, take a look at the bottom of page 11 of the 1st issue: He struggles relentlessley, hatefully, to be free-- I will not let him. I gave my word. For Jason. Never. Never Again. Bruce Wayne is saying this as he goes in to the Bat Cave, where everything is covered up except for the illuminated Robin costume. The implication is that Jason Todd's death caused the Batman to retire. Jason was still very much alive in regular continuity when DKR was published.

Later, before the new female Robin appears, the Batman is thinking about Grayson in very much the past tense. As I recall, Grayson's whereabouts are not addressed in the original DKR-- though clearly it is Jason's absence that is the more traumatic for the Batman.

I think DKR was one fo the reasons the fans voted to kill him. Of course, he wasn't popular, but it doesn't help when the most popular Batman story in decades implies Jason died a tragic death.

To add to the Elseworlds discussion, there are several books that were retrofit under the Elseworlds banner. Mike Mignola's stunning Gotham by Gaslight is now officially the First Elseworlds book, for example, even though it wasn't originally published under the Elseworlds banner (a banner that didn't exist at the time.)

DKR isn't "officially" Elseworlds (I don't think), but I know for certain it's not thought of as being mainstream DC Continuity.

I think I have that issue but I am sure it said elseworlds on it!

I will have to look it up when I get home from work.

They've reprinted it with the Elseworlds logo. I bought it off the shelf- no Elseworlds. It didn't exist at the time.

They've reprinted it with the Elseworlds logo. I bought it off the shelf- no Elseworlds. It didn't exist at the time.

Thanks

893scratchchin-thumb.gif But Jason Todd isn't dead when DKR comes out in 1984. Convenient how the Death in the Family Story turned out to be. I still think the Jason Todd angle is one of the most interesting untapped areas of the Batman mythos. Honestly I can't even remember how I voted, but I wish Lee and Moench would have brought him back instead of skirting around the issue and using him as window dressing.

I still don't buy how some Dr. Childhood friend of Bruce Wayne's IE Hush is all of a sudden this suoer tough guy. Jason Todd would have been more believable at least he had some form of training. Of course the Hush Origin is yet to be fully told, but its still a stretch to me.