• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 1:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

Realsilvermashup would play those games with "Someone said something at another site so I will take action here!"

Now we know who took up the mantle.

:facepalm:

Like with realsilvermane, you can use the ignore user list. It's the best feature on the boards.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:57 AM, ▫️ said:

Nice. The equivalent of “No I’m not, you are!” 

And you really had to go outside the boards to find links? We’re talking about right here. Maybe you should go to those websites and whine in the comments section about the movies financials.

How about because I neither feel like nor have the time to scour this thread to bash some irrelevant shlub's misguided opinion from these boards? The fact is, there are PLENTY of starry eyed fanboys who have posted glowing opinions about the alleged superior quality of this movie, some to the point of hyperbole that is akin to the "professional reviewers" I linked to,  and have passionately repeatedly defended its subpar financials  Either that, or, like you, they have engaged in pathetic ad hominem attacks when confronted with anything that remotely contradicts their precious opinions.  Those people know who they are, I don't need to "call them out" here directly, linking to MULTIPLE "professional reviewers" who have said the same is more than sufficient to make my point, it in fact , makes my point even BETTER (like this little nugget from forbes' mark hughes "a glorious, jaw-dropping love letter to everything everybody loves most about Batman"   https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2022/02/28/review-the-batman-is-the-batman-movie-weve-been-waiting-for/?sh=eca89b143422  :eyeroll:)

Fact remains, this movie underperformed well below what it should have, the book-ended performances of no way home and Dr. Strange now prove that once and for all, and all the excuse making, spinning, and equivocating in the world ain't gonna change that fact.   

Sorry sport.  Good talk. (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 5/7/2022 at 6:49 PM, Larryw7 said:

Who cares, The Batman is a much better movie than Dr. Strange. Cameos and storytelling that assumes you've watched fifty TV shows before seeing the movie isn't actually a film, it's a glorified commercial.

It's a commercial for the next commercial. 

Marvel has lost its way.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:49 PM, Larryw7 said:

Who cares, The Batman is a much better movie than Dr. Strange. Cameos and storytelling that assumes you've watched fifty TV shows before seeing the movie isn't actually a film, it's a glorified commercial. [B】

Yes I agree with you on this.  And it sounds like you agree with me as well that Dr. Strange should not make more than Batman.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 5/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, Jaydogrules said:

How about because I neither feel like nor have the time to scour this thread to bash some irrelevant shlub's misguided opinion from these boards? The fact is, there are PLENTY of starry eyed fanboys who have posted glowing opinions about the alleged superior quality of this movie, some to the point of hyperbole that is akin to the "professional reviewers" I linked to,  and have passionately repeatedly defended its subpar financials  Either that, or, like you, they have engaged in pathetic ad hominem attacks when confronted with anything that remotely contradicts their precious opinions.  Those people know who they are, I don't need to "call them out" here directly, linking to MULTIPLE "professional reviewers" who have said the same is more than sufficient to make my point, it in fact , makes my point even BETTER (like this little nugget from forbes' mark hughes "a glorious, jaw-dropping love letter to everything everybody loves most about Batman"   https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2022/02/28/review-the-batman-is-the-batman-movie-weve-been-waiting-for/?sh=eca89b143422  :eyeroll:)

Fact remains, this movie underperformed well below what it should have, the book-ended performances of no way home and Dr. Strange now prove that once and for all, and all the excuse making, spinning, and equivocating in the world ain't gonna change that fact.   

-J.

Now it is getting beyond weird. Your fixation on quadrupling down.

1ecb35fa88d5ca58cde5656ae2a94af5_w200.gif.a4606475e169ce1da0308fbcf6d61d35.gif

On 5/7/2022 at 8:24 PM, Bosco685 said:

Now it is getting beyond weird. Your fixation on quadrupling down.

1ecb35fa88d5ca58cde5656ae2a94af5_w200.gif.a4606475e169ce1da0308fbcf6d61d35.gif

Then stop quoting him. Ignore List Rocks!!!

On 5/8/2022 at 2:20 AM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

You have gone off the deep end. Do you read what you write before posting? You think I’ve attacked you because of a difference in opinion on this movie? Show me where that occurred then. All your links outside the boards are a nice deflection when the context was within the boards. Again, don’t get so bent out of shape over this, its just a movie and some people are going to like it. You seem obsessed at this point. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:07 PM, D84 said:

Then stop quoting him. Ignore List Rocks!!!

Cancelling him out via blocking while he posts such biased statements is clearly an approach.

But unfortunately that leaves him free and clear to disrupt others while he derails any understanding of the movie, its intent and its next steps. So at least being able to counter such bias with reality, it helps make those wanting to know more aware of reality.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

Cancelling him out via blocking while he posts such biased statements is clearly an approach.

But unfortunately that leaves him free and clear to disrupt others while he derails any understanding of the movie, its intent and its next steps. So at least being able to counter such bias with reality, it helps make those wanting to know more aware of reality.

Fair point but maybe if we stop engaging, this person will get bored and leave.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:11 AM, D84 said:

Fair point but maybe if we stop engaging, this person will get bored and leave.

OMG someone didn't like what you liked and pointed out its massive short comings ?  

Perish the thought! 

(Has anyone ever told you that the internet might not be for you? Lol)

-J.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:49 PM, Larryw7 said:

Who cares, The Batman is a much better movie than Dr. Strange. Cameos and storytelling that assumes you've watched fifty TV shows before seeing the movie isn't actually a film, it's a glorified commercial.

Well go ahead and ruin it for me

On 5/7/2022 at 6:51 PM, D84 said:

It's a commercial for the next commercial. 

Marvel has lost its way.

says someone with the bat as avatar. 

i'm not a big fan of the new d.s. flick--good, no more than that.  but it's going to be "certifed fresh" and is going to make about a billion dollars w.w.   marvel/disney is producing these films to make money.  they will succeed here.   

as to quality [perceived, via r.t.], where does 75% [when i looked at it a minute ago] rate as compared to the whole of dceu?   here's the math:  mos-56, bvs-29, ss-26, ww-93, the avg. of jl and zach's-55, aquaman-65, shazam-90, bop-79 and tss-90.  that's 64% on average.   

and a final tally in the 1B range is going to far outstrip the dceu ww b.o. average, and of course that of the bat reboot [which i loved].  so, and this is all i'm saying here, the combination of profit and acceptable quality-recognition is surely NOT going to tell the people that pull the strings with marvel/disney that the way has been lost.  which will be further confirmed in a couple months when thor likely does similar business. 

i'll take a page from bosco:   go ahead and not like it if you so choose, that's the right we all have.  but to indict the studio as having philosophically lost something, when their aim is clearly hitting the mark here, is silly.   your time is better spent rewatching man of steel.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:39 PM, Straw-Man said:

i'll take a page from bosco:   go ahead and not like it if you so choose, that's the right we all have.  but to indict the studio as having philosophically lost something, when their aim is clearly hitting the mark here, is silly.   your time is better spent rewatching man of steel.

virginia-slims-cigarettes-ads-1025x1024.thumb.jpg.cc8126058cd8b3f48a646a0b45a6c02f.jpg

:baiting:

But seriously. We all are going to have certain films or styles we appreciate more. I don't get why more than a few proclaim The Batman as the best Batman movie ever made. But that's their thing. I still had a good time with it.

Unfortunately, though, I am feeling more disconnected with MCU Phase IV than I expected. Something is making me struggle to appreciate more of the content. Though I did enjoy Hawkeye and most of Loki. We'll see what the road ahead brings with Thor Love and Thunder, She-Hulk, Echo and more.

It will make a billion if word of mouth is good. A lot of giant blockbusters crash and burn after their first weekend. This is making big money, but does the general audience like it? Time will tell.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

I don't get why more than a few proclaim The Batman as the best Batman movie ever made.

I think there are elements in the movies done by Burton, Nolan, Snyder and Reeves that are the best in their class. I may have to give Burton the edge for Gotham City over Reeves. Nolan and Snyder just used real cities. Snyder had the best bat suit and Reeves the best Batmobile. Burton with the best Bruce Wayne and Nolan with the best Alfred. Etc. But the best Batman comic book movie is The Dark Knight. 

On 5/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, Jaydogrules said:

So...from before day 1, you've been arguing against a straw man that you invented - some ethereal belief that this film *should* have made $1 billion...and therefore failed when it didn't.

Even Don Quixote's windmills were more grounded in reality.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:57 PM, Gatsby77 said:

So...from before day 1, you've been arguing against a straw man that you invented - some ethereal belief that this film *should* have made $1 billion...and therefore failed when it didn't.

Even Don Quixote's windmills were more grounded in reality.

Dude what are you talking about?  Quit trying  to gaslight my posts like that joker with the "dot" for a username always does. 

What I said, when Batman under performed when it first came out, was that its financials were barely "meh", given that he is DC's biggest character by far.  I continued to say the same week after week as it continued to be nothing better than a distinctly mediocre performer.  

Only now that it is officially done have I said that it, in fact , UNDER performed , to what it should have done, as the "best batman eva" that caught every break from a wiide open  schedule for a month, to a China release, to the breathless critical raves that I linked early.  It had EVERY possible benefit to actually be a big hit, but alas, it failed.  

And now we see the full picture of its failure on that front as a marvel C lister in a "whatever" filler movie just dwarfed its opening numbers BY A LOT, which I actually said would happen even before DS2's first tracking numbers were released.  

Unlike some people around here, I actually keep my statements and analytics consistent.  (thumbsu

-J.