• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,098 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2021 at 5:59 PM, bentbryan said:

After seeing The Lighthouse and The Devil All The Time I’d say Pattinson is a very strong actor and will pull this off quite well.  

I agree he is a good actor, but I still can't see him in this role. He looks like he is going to weep too often in the trailers - not quite the strong persona Batman is supposed to be in my books. 

Just now, kimik said:

I agree he is a good actor, but I still can't see him in this role. He looks like he is going to weep too often in the trailers - not quite the strong persona Batman is supposed to be in my books. 

You do understand that this is Bruce trying to find out what works, and what does not,

the way I understand it is "pre Batman", maybe even "pre Year One Batman."

3 minutes ago, The Brain said:

You do understand that this is Bruce trying to find out what works, and what does not,

the way I understand it is "pre Batman", maybe even "pre Year One Batman."

Yeah, but the actor who played young Bruce in Gotham looks tougher and more resilient. Figuring it out does not mean weepy or moping.

And, again, I think he is a good actor, just not for this type of role. 

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, vheflin said:

:roflmao:

joke.thumb.jpg.d3b4354c7f17aa836ee04e033ff15ea8.jpg

I know it can very easy to dismiss a performer's casting in a role because initially none of us sees it. Michael Keaton had this occur. Heath Ledger had this occur. Ben Affleck had this occur too.

But after seeing that teaser trailer, it is clear Matt Reeves (a Batman fanatic from all he has shared) saw something he connected with.

As the producer and director of this film, Reeves has a lot of creative cred riding on this as its successes and failures ride on his shoulders. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I know it can very easy to dismiss a performer's casting in a role because initially none of us sees it. Michael Keaton had this occur. Heath Ledger had this occur. Ben Affleck had this occur too.

But after seeing that teaser trailer, it is clear Matt Reeves (a Batman fanatic from all he has shared) saw something he connected with.

As the producer and director of this film, Reeves has a lot of creative cred riding on this as its successes and failures ride on his shoulders. Time will tell.

Agreed Reeves has a lot at stake on this film, but was Pattinson his choice or WB exec's choice?

5 minutes ago, kimik said:

Agreed Reeves has a lot at stake on this film, but was Pattinson his choice or WB exec's choice?

He demanded that producer role for a very good reason: to avoid studio meddling. He actually walked away from negotiations when initially WB wouldn't make him the producer.

This is all on him.

‘The Batman’: Matt Reeves Closes Deal to Direct and Produce (Feb-2017)

Matt Reeves has closed a deal to direct and produce The Batman for Warner Bros.

“I have loved the Batman story since I was a child,” Reeves said Thursday in a statement. “He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen.”

The announcement comes one week after discussions with the filmmaker broke down, though sources said at the time that talks could resume at a later date. 

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

He demanded that producer role for a very good reason: to avoid studio meddling. He actually walked away from negotiations when initially WB wouldn't make him the producer.

This is all on him.

That's right - I remember reading that way back. We will see how his Batman approach works. If it doesn't top the Aquaman or first Wonder Woman box office, he will be one and done.

Just now, kimik said:

That's right - I remember reading that way back. We will see how his Batman approach works. If it doesn't top the Aquaman or first Wonder Woman box office, he will be one and done.

Agreed!

This is one of the flagship characters for DC. And with key villains. If this doesn't go over strongly, they will move on.

So far Aquaman is the only $1B+ worldwide box office for the new DCEU (I am not including the Joker as it is not part of the the DCEU). WB has a ton riding on this Batman flick as well. I can't see it doing less than $1B as people should be flocking to theatres again next year, but if it does, then that would likely lead to a total rework of the DCEU management IMHO.

Maybe another trailer will sway me but it looked like an Asylum Entertainment version of the Nolan films.

I'll be surprised if this passes the one billion mark.

4 hours ago, D84 said:

Maybe another trailer will sway me but it looked like an Asylum Entertainment version of the Nolan films.

I'll be surprised if this passes the one billion mark.

I am with you on this.  The reports of the constant bickering on the set and Reeves and Pattinson not getting along make me very nervous.  along with rumors that Pattinson does not seem to be that into the role, for instance not wanting to work out for the role.

5 hours ago, drotto said:

I am with you on this.  The reports of the constant bickering on the set and Reeves and Pattinson not getting along make me very nervous.  along with rumors that Pattinson does not seem to be that into the role, for instance not wanting to work out for the role.

This was a BS story crafted by Grace Randolph and that Dollar Tree Doctor Doom 'insider' to grab headlines. Even yesterday he posted more of the same.

Notice he/it ignores how the pandemic impacted the film's production and release. Meanwhile...

Men's Health: What We Know About Robert Pattinson's 'Batman' Workout and Diet Plan

Since then, however, fitness title Healthy for Men published an interview with Pattinson. In the feature, the 34-year-old shone a brighter light on his pre-Batman prep, sharing more details on both his diet and his training routine. "The actor has cut down on alcohol and has stripped back on processed meat and fried foods as a way of accelerating his physical transformation," says the feature.

In the same interview, Pattinson shared the details of his training programming, which placed a similar focus on short, sharp functional moves — including "military-style sandbag routines on the beach" — running 5-10k three times a week and combat sports. It's been a shift in personality that Pattinson has grasped with both hands.

"In every project I've ever taken on, I've come into it wanting to learn and to achieve new things," he said in the interview. "That's usually in the embodiment of a character, and someone who has a different personality to me, but taking on a full physical transformation as well feels even more exciting."

Pattinson is not my first choice or even my 32nd choice but I hope he pulls it off. I think he has really grown as an actor and proven his range. And Batman is a franchise where I don’t want the same portrayal over and over. Loved Burtons Batman as he created the best Gotham City ever put to film. Loved Nolans Batman as he brought our hero into the real world and gave us what is arguably the best comic book movie ever made in The Dark Knight. Snyder hasn’t given us a solo Batman movie unfortunately but if that warehouse fight scene in BVS is any indicator of what could be on the table, sign me up. As much as I tried to appreciate BVS, I only end up appreciating parts of it but never the whole. ZS Justice League made me a believer again. Snyder almost gave me Frank Millers Dark Knight. Not quite as old or jaded. So now we go from these huge spectacles to something new. I say bring this down to earth on a small scale within Gotham City and give us a crime noir detective thriller. I’m on board with that. I wish the execs had enough faith in this new iteration to green-light a trilogy because the only negative I’m seeing (besides Pattisons heavy makeup) is introducing too many characters at once. The Riddler should be fleshed out solo here while the Penguin takes the sequel. I want to see Paul Dano flex his ability here. Any actor playing a Batman villain should be thinking they better own it like Ledger did. And I don’t want to see a great actor like Jeffrey Wright not play a significant role in this. I want Gordon on the trail. Okay, I’ve said enough. This is why I can’t be on Twitter.