• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2021 at 10:17 AM, ▫️ said:

You got your wish in 2008.

No. I didn't. I haven't yet. Maybe you did. I watch every one of those and roll my eyes. I grew up weaned on the Adams/O'Neil Batman then got my rocks off when "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" was sprung on us. Instead of carrying on with the old, dark Batman of 1939, they sold out and pandered to the yuppies who grew up watching that horrible Adam West show which had established Batman as a goofus. And the kids, of course. The 1989 was was abysmal. I mean, just the inability for Bruce to be able to turn his head was a no-brainer. and that "I'm Batman" line cheesed me off hard. He wouldn't say that.

"Who...who ARE you?"

<Batman throws him off a bridge just for asking the obvious. Bad guy nearly drowns. Or back-hands Bad Guy over and over until Bad Guy sees Jesus>

I was informed back then I needed to take a Stress-Tab and remember that kids needed to be able to go see it as well. I don't care and didn't care about that. Let the kids go into therapy over a GOOD Batman movie. And what are the kids supposed to do with the Pattison movie?

"Maaaaaammmmaaaa! Bamman won't stop HITTING the Bad Guy!"

"No, young Cabbage-Head. He isn't going to until Bad Guy is gooey. Eat your pop-corn."

It's possible that movie set off my critical hemisphere in my brain. That movie really honked me off. The Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey one was horrible. The Bane one was awful. I WILL say (to try to be positive) that I enjoyed the villain performances except for the Jones and Carrey one but liked Shwarzeneggers Mr Freeze. And Pfeiffer's Catwoman.

"Meow!"

On 12/29/2021 at 7:06 PM, Randall Ries said:

No. I didn't. I haven't yet. Maybe you did. I watch every one of those and roll my eyes. I grew up weaned on the Adams/O'Neil Batman then got my rocks off when "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" was sprung on us. Instead of carrying on with the old, dark Batman of 1939, they sold out and pandered to the yuppies who grew up watching that horrible Adam West show which had established Batman as a goofus. And the kids, of course. The 1989 was was abysmal. I mean, just the inability for Bruce to be able to turn his head was a no-brainer. and that "I'm Batman" line cheesed me off hard. He wouldn't say that.

"Who...who ARE you?"

<Batman throws him off a bridge just for asking the obvious. Bad guy nearly drowns. Or back-hands Bad Guy over and over until Bad Guy sees Jesus>

I was informed back then I needed to take a Stress-Tab and remember that kids needed to be able to go see it as well. I don't care and didn't care about that. Let the kids go into therapy over a GOOD Batman movie. And what are the kids supposed to do with the Pattison movie?

"No, young Cabbage-Head. He isn't going to until Bad Guy is gooey. Eat your pop-corn."

It's possible that movie set off my critical hemisphere in my brain. That movie really honked me off. The Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey one was horrible. The Bane one was awful. I WILL say (to try to be positive) that I enjoyed the villain performances except for the Jones and Carrey one but liked Shwarzeneggers Mr Freeze. And Pfeiffer's Catwoman.

"Meow!"

What about Affleck in Batman v Superman? That was based off The Dark Knight Returns version. 

hxtmHc.gif.886a3b5f61d3486b0078f3daea7f9162.gif

On 12/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, D84 said:

What about Affleck in Batman v Superman? That was based off The Dark Knight Returns version. 

hxtmHc.gif.886a3b5f61d3486b0078f3daea7f9162.gif

They used some elements of DKR. As I recall, half the forums here hated the movie. And you know. It isn't the end of the world.

OR IS IT?

Soon as they announced Tim Burton as the director of the 1989 film, it was already over. Everyone was hoping that his "Frankenweenie" sensibilities would add some shadows and mystery. But no. Gotham once again became a giant playground. Ridiculous premise. Ridiculous plot. Ridiculous sets.

Ah. Batman movie, rage inducing, PTSD causing Batman movie. Ra's Al Ghul - the runner up to wear the Joker top villain sash - played by Darkman. Oh. Ok. They nailed it the first time with the doppelganger guy. He would have made a good Ra's. But noooo. Oh! They FOOLED hapless moviegoer! Not the OBVIOUS guy who actually LOOKS like Ra's or is even close to his ethnicity! No! Ra's is really an IRISH guy who was nowhere near Ra's Al Ghul. Oh! Maybe Dwayne Johnson? As UBU? AWESOME! Oh. Nope. If they hired Warwick Davis or Billy Barty, it wouldn't have surprised me. Why not Zelda Rubinstein or Kenny Baker as Ubu? Why not? Jack Nicholson as The Joker. Pander. Jim Carrey as The Riddler. Pander. Tommy Lee ..... Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face. And CALLING him "Harvey Two-Face" in the movie.

This is why Marvel bet the living Hell out of DC at the box office. And will continue to do so. My prediction is "The Batman" will be WAY over the top and then collapse into a "woke" fest as "The Cat" tries to reach Bruce. The trailers I have seen seem to make "The Batman" look like a complete, out of control, vengeful psycho. Remember when he was a detective? And a scientist? My guess is the suits at Warner Bros. reached into the mailbag and instead of discerning what the real fan wants will pull out of the mailbag and said "Ohhh. WE get it NOW. They want Batman to punch everybody out relentlessly. They want DARK and psycho!"

We shall see. Maybe this will be the first good Batman movie. Ha. Ha.

On 12/30/2021 at 4:06 AM, Randall Ries said:

"Who...who ARE you?"

"Meow!"

You’re talking about the 89 Batman movie and the ones that followed. I’m talking about The Dark Knight with Christian Bale and Heath Ledger. Also, Batman in ZS Justice League bears no semblance to the campy tv show.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:21 PM, Randall Ries said:

They used some elements of DKR. As I recall, half the forums here hated the movie. And you know. It isn't the end of the world.

Don't let the loudest haters fool you. That is what WB execs listened to with their knee-jerk over-corrections.

BvS_CGC_response.PNG.57ad1f4c536b728a42dc7db67bb0c622.png.60835da7cd3fe867c6759935f25c96ad.png

When we did a poll at that time, those most disappointed attempted to drive down the average results by giving it 1.0-3.0/10. That's why you don't just depend on averages.

The most frequently rating was 8.0, with quite a few giving it a 9.0 as well. And 127 of 196 gave it a 6.0-10.0 rating (65%). Yet a few proclaimed loudly 'this trash is hated by all'.

(shrug)

On 12/30/2021 at 2:42 AM, ▫️ said:

You’re talking about the 89 Batman movie and the ones that followed. I’m talking about The Dark Knight with Christian Bale and Heath Ledger. Also, Batman in ZS Justice League bears no semblance to the campy tv show.

Right. I am too. I wasn't feeling it from the Bale movies either. Now, I admit I haven't watched ZS JL. It's sitting on my computer waiting for me to have a spare 3 hours.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

Don't let the loudest haters fool you. That is what WB execs listened to with their knee-jerk over-corrections.

BvS_CGC_response.PNG.57ad1f4c536b728a42dc7db67bb0c622.png.60835da7cd3fe867c6759935f25c96ad.png

When we did a poll at that time, those most disappointed attempted to drive down the average results by giving it 1.0-3.0/10. That's why you don't just depend on averages.

The most frequently rating was 8.0, with quite a few giving it a 9.0 as well. And 127 of 196 gave it a 6.0-10.0 rating (65%). Yet a few proclaimed loudly 'this trash is hated by all'.

(shrug)

Well, that is interesting. I actually didn't find Bat v Supe terrible. I sort of resented the use of DKR elements because now they won't be able to use them in a real DKR movie. If the story was followed panel by panel, square by square, DKR would blow doors off. I mean, they HAVE the story boards. Right there. Right there in front of them.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:23 AM, Randall Ries said:

Well, that is interesting. I actually didn't find Bat v Supe terrible. I sort of resented the use of DKR elements because now they won't be able to use them in a real DKR movie. If the story was followed panel by panel, square by square, DKR would blow doors off. I mean, they HAVE the story boards. Right there. Right there in front of them.

Zack Snyder has stated multiple times he wants to make Batman: The Dark Knight Returns into a film. Unfortunately, WB execs were concerned how it may tarnish Superman's image.

You know. The same execs that asked David Goyer how does Clark Kent fly back to Krypton at the end of Man of Steel. (:

On 12/30/2021 at 9:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

The same execs that asked David Goyer how does Clark Kent fly back to Krypton at the end of Man of Steel. (:

Therein lies the problem. The suits. Always the suits. DKR, like Kingdom Come, is an Elseworld story. Pitch it that way. Put up your disclaimers at the beginning. "This COULD happen" etc. Then rock that . Yeah. Superman gets a deserved spanking. And Batman "dies" as well. Live a little. Trust the fans. The fans who go see the movie and don't get it will be the same fans that asked David Goyer how does Clark Kent fly back to Krypton at the end of Man of Steel. LOL!

On 12/30/2021 at 5:18 PM, Randall Ries said:

Right. I am too. I wasn't feeling it from the Bale movies either. Now, I admit I haven't watched ZS JL. It's sitting on my computer waiting for me to have a spare 3 hours.

Actually… 4 hours. I loved this version by the way. And I was very critical of its predecessor BvS. I did buy BvS despite not liking the movie as a whole because there were some scenes that I loved. Here are two.

On 12/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, ▫️ said:

Actually… 4 hours. I loved this version by the way. And I was very critical of its predecessor BvS. I did buy BvS despite not liking the movie as a whole because there were some scenes that I loved. Here are two.

So right on. I don't despise all the movies to their core. There are good scenes and dialogue in all of them. I liked the "Batman Wears A Duster" scenes because it reminded me of Batman's #232 & #244 in which Batman and Ra's Al Ghul climbed the Himalayans together (232) and a shirtless Batman, doing his best Burt Reynolds, fighting Ra's in the desert (244). Batman was wearing cold weather gear over his costume which - as a kid - was...eh...cool. The fight in the desert was shirt and capeless because of the obvious heat.

I never considered he would do that NOR had he been written like that very often. Usually, he wore the Bat suit wherever he found himself. And the stories like in the late Golden Age and early Silver Age which featured him in some pretty dumb outfits were contemptible.

ALSO - believe it or not - I seemed to be in the minority when I admitted I LOVED The Man Of Steel. The battle scenes in Smallville were AWESOME.

214340263244ba7c991ff4ece133b768605f3bfbv2_hq.jpg

Untitled.png

On 12/30/2021 at 5:11 PM, Randall Ries said:

ALSO - believe it or not - I seemed to be in the minority when I admitted I LOVED The Man Of Steel. The battle scenes in Smallville were AWESOME.

Where?

On 12/30/2021 at 5:34 PM, Randall Ries said:

Was it not Smallville?

Oh, sorry for the confusion. On that being an amazing scene there is no debate. So much solid action.

Where were you the minority - here?