• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,098 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2021 at 5:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oh, sorry for the confusion. On that being an amazing scene there is no debate. So much solid action.

Where were you the minority - here?

Seemed to be. There was such vitriol about the movie that - when I eventually watched it - I kept my opinion to myself about it. But I didn't get what the problem was. I thought it was pretty solid except for Superman killing Zod. Seems like Zod could have just LOOKED at the remaining trapped people and burnt them to a crispy crunch. That hold "have to hold his head steady" seemed senseless. Or just put his hand over his eyes.

Still, just a remote criticism. "Superman Returns" was a complete waste of time and people seemed to like that one more. Superman was basically a mute throughout the entire movie and there was no believable explanation why he left earth to begin with. What a suck-fest.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, Randall Ries said:

Seemed to be. There was such vitriol about the movie that - when I eventually watched it - I kept my opinion to myself about it. But I didn't get what the problem was. I thought it was pretty solid except for Superman killing Zod. Seems like Zod could have just LOOKED at the remaining trapped people and burnt them to a crispy crunch. That hold "have to hold his head steady" seemed senseless. Or just put his hand over his eyes.

Still, just a remote criticism. "Superman Returns" was a complete waste of time and people seemed to like that one more. Superman was basically a mute throughout the entire movie and there was no believable explanation why he left earth to begin with. What a suck-fest.

Here's another shocker: once again, don't let the loudest hate lead you to assume their views are THE views. We did another poll back then to feel out the reality of opinions.

MoS_CGC_poll.png.9cbc1ae9a843c727c2c5d5b878777d6a.png

There were more folks that enjoyed this film than you would think on here. To include 84% giving the film 6.0-10.0/10.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

Here's another shocker: once again, don't let the loudest hate lead you to assume their views are THE views. We did another poll back then to feel out the reality of opinions.

MoS_CGC_poll.png.9cbc1ae9a843c727c2c5d5b878777d6a.png

There were more folks that enjoyed this film than you would think on here. To include 84% giving the film 6.0-10.0/10.

I saw that. I wouldn't have guessed based on the tantrums I read at the time.

FWIW I loved Man Of Steel, except for Kevin Costner's laughable death scene. Besides that it's a pretty darn good film. I'd give it an 8-8.5/10. All the complaints seemed to be from people who didn't really KNOE the character, nor understand that this is a new incarnation of him. His behaviour is allowed to vary, especially this early on. 

On 1/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, D84 said:

Even though the new trailer finally has me interested, I HATE that batsuit. 

Matt Reeves as a fellow fan hopefully outlines why the suit design. We'll see what comes of this.

But the trailer content has only made me more comfortable this is going to be quite good.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:15 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

FWIW I loved Man Of Steel, except for Kevin Costner's laughable death scene. Besides that it's a pretty darn good film. I'd give it an 8-8.5/10. All the complaints seemed to be from people who didn't really KNOE the character, nor understand that this is a new incarnation of him. His behaviour is allowed to vary, especially this early on. 

Same. That death scene was completely unnecessary. Really? Suddenly needed to commit suicide to make one of his home spun morality plays? And people say I overreact sometimes. Martha must have been like "WTF, Jonathan?"

On 1/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, D84 said:

Even though the new trailer finally has me interested, I HATE that batsuit. 

"And starring Elvis Presley as Batman."

Part of the problem I have with the movies in general IS the suit. The comics (up to a certain year) portrayed his costume as cloth material except for the boots, gloves and utility belt. Not chainmail armor. Not heavy rubber. Not anything except suicidal cloth.

It gave me the impression that when he said he trained himself to perfection in body and mind, he meant it. It implied he was confident enough to use cloth and not a Firestone, double ply, steel belted radial as a costume. And sure. I get it. The unrealistic part was the law of averages dictated that he is going to take a bullet or a knife at some point.

But the panels that showed Bruce getting out of bed or working out illustrated that he was pretty messed up from the battles. Scar tissue galore. Which most wouldn't be there if he had been wearing a raised rubber tile floor as a costume. It also added to the human aspect too, of course. He has no otherwordly power or "super strength". He only relies on his wit and skill and employs help like Alfred or Oracle and even uses a teenager as a colorful target so he can close in and wreck someones life.

I think this is the comic Ross was referring to. I read that one as well and it made a point.

Batman-shares-his-scars.jpg

Edited by Randall Ries

On 1/2/2022 at 8:01 AM, Randall Ries said:

"And starring Elvis Presley as Batman."

Part of the problem I have with the movies in general IS the suit. The comics (up to a certain year) portrayed his costume as cloth material except for the boots, gloves and utility belt. Not chainmail armor. Not heavy rubber. Not anything except suicidal cloth.

It gave me the impression that when he said he trained himself to perfection in body and mind, he meant it. It implied he was confident enough to use cloth and not a Firestone, double ply, steel belted radial as a costume. And sure. I get it. The unrealistic part was the law of averages dictated that he is going to take a bullet or a knife at some point.

But the panels that showed Bruce getting out of bed or working out illustrated that he was pretty messed up from the battles. Scar tissue galore. Which most wouldn't be there if he had been wearing a raised rubber tile floor as a costume. It also added to the human aspect too, of course. He has no otherwordly power or "super strength". He only relies on his wit and skill and employs help like Alfred or Oracle and even uses a teenager as a colorful target so he can close in and wreck someones life.

I think this is the comic Ross was referring to. I read that one as well and it made a point.

Batman-shares-his-scars.jpg

This is a great series of points.  His vulnerability is the thing that makes him unique as a crime fighter.  Anyone with decent fighting skills could put on an armored suit and go out and beat people up.  

Sometimes, Hollywood feels as though it has to look for technology-based or other "rational" solutions to help a general audience suspend its disbelief about how these characters survive the incredible beatings, explosions, drive-by shootings and etc.  They did this with the Green Goblin in "Spider-Man" and the "Rhino" from "Amazing Spider-Man 2."  Armored costume and big, clunky, slow machine rather than a guy in a form-fitting outfit, protected only by his wit, weapons, advanced strength and so on.  For me, those changes are a real turn-off.

On 1/2/2022 at 5:40 PM, MattTheDuck said:

This is a great series of points.  His vulnerability is the thing that makes him unique as a crime fighter.  Anyone with decent fighting skills could put on an armored suit and go out and beat people up.  

Sometimes, Hollywood feels as though it has to look for technology-based or other "rational" solutions to help a general audience suspend its disbelief about how these characters survive the incredible beatings, explosions, drive-by shootings and etc.  They did this with the Green Goblin in "Spider-Man" and the "Rhino" from "Amazing Spider-Man 2."  Armored costume and big, clunky, slow machine rather than a guy in a form-fitting outfit, protected only by his wit, weapons, advanced strength and so on.  For me, those changes are a real turn-off.

I thought they came close with the suit in BvS, that was a fantastic cloth looking suit with battle damage wear all over it.

The new suit does at least allow for full movement of the head.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:40 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Its possible to suspend belief so nutjobs don't all throw on a cape and start accosting people

Does anyone know the number of cases where people have been emulating a movie? I imagine it happens quite a lot more than I would think

On 1/2/2022 at 2:40 PM, The Meta said:

Its possible to suspend belief so nutjobs don't all throw on a cape and start accosting people

Does anyone know the number of cases where people have been emulating a movie? I imagine it happens quite a lot more than I would think

Only one I have heard of was the urban legend where the boy climbed out onto a high rise roof in the 1950's and put on his Superman cape and flew straight into the sidewalk. I have to imagine most - if any - were like that. Children who thought it was the cape that was doing the flying.

Most people who are emulating people these days are either emulating fat-headed celebrities like any given Kardashian or emulating serial killers or school shooters and those are labeled so called "copycat crimes". Seems like no one ever takes it into their heads to do anything drastically heroic like intervening in a bank robbery and beating the living fux out of a bad guy. They just cower under the shelving.

I have a pretty keen sense of right and wrong and many times have wanted to go out and stop this garbage but it just isn't realistic. People like that go from being called "vigilantes" to "weirdos" to "Hey we gotta stop that psycho" in the media. Remember in the 1980's when the "Guardian Angels" took it upon themselves to guard neighborhoods? That caused more trouble than it stopped just by its very nature. Kinda like there would have been no Joker if Bruce Wayne hadn't lost his marbles as a kid sort of thing.

But, don't we all feel a little tingle when someone actually foils a violent crime in progress and messes up the "perp"? Real good? I think we need that. All the whoopings we take, the corruption in politics and big business. The robbery that is American Medicine. The theft that is Big Oil. Once in awhile it does my heart good to see some corrupt pig get what they deserve.

Too bad it happens so infrequently. We have become numb to crime right under our noses as we get screwed every single day of our lives and have to eat it.