• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 CGC Registry Awards - the countdown begins!

106 posts in this topic

Shameless Monday morning plug for my set.

Goal five years ago to build a "best in the world" Silver Age set on a beer budget. Not quite at the goal of 9.4 or better, but I finally finished it this year in 9.0 or better.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=44535

Fantastic set Gatsby! MRF is one of my faves! :applause:

Good luck!

Goal five years ago to build a "best in the world" Silver Age set on a beer budget. Not quite at the goal of 9.4 or better, but I finally finished it this year in 9.0 or better.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=44535

What a fantastic set, your passion really shines! I really like seeing sets like this in the registry, because they are different from what I collect. To be honest, if I saw an issue of MRF on the wall at my LCS, I would really notice it. When I see a set like this, full of pictures and details, then I appreciate the series, regardless of genre or title. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

so I'll ask here... what makes a great registry set beyond just 100% completion, high grade books, and photos?

I'm always looking for ways to make my set more enjoyable to see, so I thought I'd ask...

so I'll ask here... what makes a great registry set beyond just 100% completion, high grade books, and photos?

I'm always looking for ways to make my set more enjoyable to see, so I thought I'd ask...

I do know that pictures and comments does in fact help

I do know that pictures and comments does in fact help

But it doesn't ever trump points. Last year at this time I was something like 11 pts. behind the Venom Lethal Protector leader but I had front and back photos with descriptions and he still won. But in the event of a tie, that is what they look for I'd bet.

Jerome

Yes, I believe that for a best in type with a tie, they take pics and comments into consideration. I am currently tied in a Aliens set, 4 ways, yet I am number 1. I am not sure if it's because I registered first, or because I have comments and pics.

Anyways, off the actual web page...

Registry Set Awards

Awards will be presented in the following categories:

The Three Best Golden Age Sets (comics published starting with Action Comics #1 (June 1938–1959)

The Three Best Silver Age Sets (comics published 1960–1969)

The Three Best Bronze Age Sets (comics published 1970–1979)

The Three Best Copper Age Sets (comics published 1980–1989)

The Three Best Modern Age Sets (comics published 1990–present)

The Three Best Presented Sets (sets with the best descriptive text and images)

The One Best Magazine Set

The One Best Custom Set

One Collector for Overall Achievement in Comics Collecting (based on a collector’s overall collection of Registry sets)

Yes, I believe that for a best in type with a tie, they take pics and comments into consideration. I am currently tied in a Aliens set, 4 ways, yet I am number 1. I am not sure if it's because I registered first, or because I have comments and pics.

Anyways, off the actual web page...

Registry Set Awards

Awards will be presented in the following categories:

The Three Best Golden Age Sets (comics published starting with Action Comics #1 (June 1938–1959)

The Three Best Silver Age Sets (comics published 1960–1969)

The Three Best Bronze Age Sets (comics published 1970–1979)

The Three Best Copper Age Sets (comics published 1980–1989)

The Three Best Modern Age Sets (comics published 1990–present)

The Three Best Presented Sets (sets with the best descriptive text and images)

The One Best Magazine Set

The One Best Custom Set

One Collector for Overall Achievement in Comics Collecting (based on a collector’s overall collection of Registry sets)

I think the best in age sets are judged strictly on completion/points. They probably search the database for sets that are 100% complete...then go from there. But who really knows?

• Administrator

It is because you have comments and pics. We handle ties like this:

Ranking is achieved by considering in this order:

Set score

Percentage of comics with images

Percentage of comics with descriptions

If all of the above items are equal between sets, then sets will be sorted by the date the SCORE was achieved (first to achieve it will appear higher), but they will have the same rank number beside their set.

Set score

If all of the above items are equal between sets, then sets will be sorted by the date the SCORE was achieved (first to achieve it will appear higher), but they will have the same rank number beside their set.

That's awesome to know - thank you, Dena, for clarifying that for us!

I do have a similar question, though - how much does completion count toward the 'top 3' sets per category? I only ask because some sets seem near impossible to complete at 100% and didn't know if this knocked or dqed people in some cases for consideration.

Thank you for your insight, in advance!

SR

Set score

(thumbs u Thanks for clarifying that for us :D

• Administrator

I think the best in age sets are judged strictly on completion/points. They probably search the database for sets that are 100% complete...then go from there. But who really knows?

Completion and points may be a place to start when judging best in age sets. However, I wouldn't say selections are made based strictly on those factors. We will also look to images and comments and consider how difficult a set may be to acquire in comparing sets.

We recognize there are some aspects of collecting that can't be accurately reflected in points across all series. That's why the judging process is not an automated system looking at numbers only (points, completion, etc.). We have some criteria that is automatically applied to narrow the field down a bit. However, we personally review hundreds of sets in each category and have discussion among the team of judges before making final selections. There are usually 10 or more people on our team of judges.

Regarding the Best Presented category, points is hardly ever a consideration. In short, we want to see a set that inspires others (maybe even non collectors) to check it out.

Here are some things we look for (though not necessarily required) when looking at sets for the Best Presented award:

Attention to the presentation - a set does not have to be complete but there should be a picture and comment for every book registered in the set.

Originality - We prefer that text is written in the collectors own words and not copied from another source. If copied from another source, we like to see credits noted. It's nice to include technical information on the series or a specific book but we particularly like to see information that might not be common knowledge or quickly found in a google search. If there is a story about how you acquired an issue, include it. Regarding pictures, a set that has front and back pictures of the books can certainly win but creativity is appreciated. Those spots do not have to be used for front and back pictures. For example, some have used the back picture spot to include a picture of their favorite page in a book or an item that is related to the book. In general, we like to get a sense of who you are as a collector and what your experience has been.

Personal experience - We want to know why you collect a particular series, how you got started and your plans for the set (is it complete?, is it a work in progress?, etc.) The set description field is perfect for this kind of information. It is meant to be an introduction to your set.

• Administrator

That's awesome to know - thank you, Dena, for clarifying that for us!

I do have a similar question, though - how much does completion count toward the 'top 3' sets per category? I only ask because some sets seem near impossible to complete at 100% and didn't know if this knocked or dqed people in some cases for consideration.

Thank you for your insight, in advance!

SR

In terms of the awards, we have never dismissed a set solely based on it not being 100% complete. If we are looking at two identical sets of the same type then yes, we would choose the one that is 100% over one that is 90%. However, we usually find ourselves comparing sets of different titles in the end and so completion may not have as much weight.

This is exactly why we do not have a more automated selection of winners. We know some collecting areas are near impossible to complete at 100% and we have that in mind when selecting winning sets.

Great Magnus Robot Fighter registry set (worship) !!!!!

I'm lucky enough to hold down top spot for Marvel Godzilla.

I just turned 5 blue labels into yellow labels which will pad my lead a little more.

I'm always looking to upgrade my blues into yellows - I have 12 of 24 in yellow now.

Godzilla # 2 was the 1st comic I read as a kid and this series holds a soft spot for while.

While it's not the best series, it is a fun one!

Who doesn't love a shrunken Godzilla fighting a sewer rat?

Good luck to everyone this year.

I'm lucky enough to hold down top spot for Marvel Godzilla.

I just turned 5 blue labels into yellow labels which will pad my lead a little more.

I'm always looking to upgrade my blues into yellows - I have 12 of 24 in yellow now.

Godzilla # 2 was the 1st comic I read as a kid and this series holds a soft spot for while.

While it's not the best series, it is a fun one!

Who doesn't love a shrunken Godzilla fighting a sewer rat?

Good luck to everyone this year.

Same reason I am going with Maxx. Working on a complete SS run as well. So far 17 out of 46, but hope to have it completed soon