• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,132 posts in this topic

This just ended at $960.99. Nice book. Highest graded with no other 9.6s and no 9.4s.

OUR ARMY AT WAR #168 CGC 9.6 HIGHEST GRADED!

That is a super nice book, and worth the grand (once you factor in shipping, etc.). Very, very tough book to find in grades above VF, and 'mini-key'. Myself, I don't call it the first Unknown Soldier but many people do.

Shep

OAAW #286 - Not a great issue, but strangely a tough one. Ruben Yandoc art on the Rock story, with a heavy Kubert assist. Decent Estrada Gallery of War tale.

Finally found my 286. It was "missing" for a bit. foreheadslap.gif

903234-oaaw286.jpg

903234-oaaw286.jpg.095800b159454118b58936d902879edf.jpg

Edited by Weird

Weird,

If you ever want to cook up a deal on the OAAW #286, please contact me at my personal e-mail address. If not, I totally understand, because that looks like a nice copy.

OH! Also, I know it's not bronze war, but I have just posted a series of Silver Age Our Fighting Forces books that you don't see everyday, over in the Silver board. The books are under the 'Show us your ten centers' thread.

Off topic I know, but any DC war is good DC war.

Hope everyone is well,

Shep

Well, until somebody starts an Infinite BA Western thread, I figure War is close enough. I just noticed Andy's sig line and I wanted to give him a tease. This is the first scan from my Chicago stash. I'm busy this week so it will take me a while to put up a bunch of the others and give my little report. Andy, you must not have spotted this book because I didn't buy it until late Sunday. $20 for this glossy VF at Motor City. Geez, who says #116 is the best? I also picked up a VG+ copy of #125, another great cover.

I could see a Weird Western/Jonah Hex thread being interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Dunno anything about the Marvel westerns though. Could be informative. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, I am one of the #116 zombies. But, 123 is my 2nd favorite Adams Tomahawk. thumbsup2.gif

I also like 125 with the tense action and beautiful Adams background (pink!). $15 for a sharp looking slabbed CGC 8.0 OW/W.

904461-tomahawk125.jpg

904461-tomahawk125.jpg.c1fa2abdd40f8408f8c382a744e65933.jpg

Edited by Weird

Weird,

If you ever want to cook up a deal on the OAAW #286, please contact me at my personal e-mail address. If not, I totally understand, because that looks like a nice copy.

OH! Also, I know it's not bronze war, but I have just posted a series of Silver Age Our Fighting Forces books that you don't see everyday, over in the Silver board. The books are under the 'Show us your ten centers' thread.

Off topic I know, but any DC war is good DC war.

Hope everyone is well,

Shep

I may submit it for slabbing at some point b/c it is so sharp (gotta love bobcat), but as for right now it's not for sale. I have actually started getting some more OAAWs after deciding to focus only on G.I. Combat and SSWS/Unknown Soldier. foreheadslap.gif

Just got this one today in the mail. Rock is such a badazz, I couldn't pass it up when I saw it.

904473-OAAW207.jpg

904473-OAAW207.jpg.c7de6fd2423fecb96e2ef12dd1a06872.jpg

Edited by Weird

Just got these in today. They were both graded at 7.0, but I would put the 139 at 8.0 and the 140 at 9.0. Not bad for $25 total. grin.gif (Helps make up for some disastrous recent transactions).

BTW Weird, that Tomahawk was an absolute STEAL at $15. hail.gif What knocked it down to an 8.0? If you ever want to sell, you know who to PM. thumbsup2.gif

EA2.jpg

EA1.jpg

Sweet books, I may have to move back my SSWS collecting focus instead of just starting at 151 (and of course, the 144). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The top part of the Tomahawk spine has a bend in it (you can see it in the scan a bit). More noticeable on the back, but it's one of those defects which does not bother me at all - I mean the corners and the rest of the spine are great looking. I was surprised I won it for so low in late 2003.

I just got a crizzap-load of Sulipa books today in the mail. A lot of Rocks in the 300s, US in the low 200s, G.I. Combats and some Weird Wars (am I ever going to finish that run?). Most are Manitobas and there are some wicked covers. I am off for some tailgating goodness, so scans will have to wait. Beer!

Those are cool books Oct, congrats. I'm getting more into war books every day. Probably because I've already seen or already own all the BA Horror DCs, but I haven't even scratched the surface with DC War books and there are just so many out there. I'm even branching out to the Westerns. I may tackle All-Star Western #1-11 next. Not sure though if Westerns classify as war or not, I mean, is Cowboys Vs. other Cowboys or Vs. Indians war? Or is it just a fight?

Also, although I normally don't read my comics, I was thinking of picking one or two to read just to get a feel for them. Any suggestions as to which BA DC War books I should read, any particular issues? Thanks.

Those are cool books Oct, congrats. I'm getting more into war books every day. Probably because I've already seen or already own all the BA Horror DCs, but I haven't even scratched the surface with DC War books and there are just so many out there. I'm even branching out to the Westerns. I may tackle All-Star Western #1-11 next. Not sure though if Westerns classify as war or not, I mean, is Cowboys Vs. other Cowboys or Vs. Indians war? Or is it just a fight?

Also, although I normally don't read my comics, I was thinking of picking one or two to read just to get a feel for them. Any suggestions as to which BA DC War books I should read, any particular issues? Thanks.

Weird that you should ask which ones are good reads, as I just finished SSWS 139 and 140 about 15 minutes ago, which are the only two BA war books I have ever read. They were EXCELLENT. Far better than the superhero or horror books I have read from the same time period. I am now going to focus on getting the whole run of Enemy Ace books from 138 on up, just to read them. Seriously good stuff and Kubert's interior art is amazing, as always.

Weird that you should ask which ones are good reads, as I just finished SSWS 139 and 140 about 15 minutes ago, which are the only two BA war books I have ever read. They were EXCELLENT. Far better than the superhero or horror books I have read from the same time period. I am now going to focus on getting the whole run of Enemy Ace books from 138 on up, just to read them. Seriously good stuff and Kubert's interior art is amazing, as always.

I've got virtually all of that series, so nice discovery, there. There's the Enemy Ace archive too, which reprints OAAW 151, Showcase 57, 58, etc.

Kubert's art on that series rivals just about any other artist in the Silver and Bronze Ages. A true master.

I've got virtually all of that series, so nice discovery, there. There's the Enemy Ace archive too, which reprints OAAW 151, Showcase 57, 58, etc.

Oh yeah? I will have to check that out. I might also just pick up all of his issues, no matter what series. Do you know if there is a checklist somewhere?

I figure I will pick up the early Unknown Soldiers from SSWS as well. I am sure they are just as good as Enemy Ace. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the DC war and western books are consistently better written (or at least, more adult) than any other genre from the 1970s. They are fantastic. The DC war books from the 1960s are just as good (many say better) but I don't have any opinion on 60s DC westerns.

Reading the Enemy Ace SSWS or Archie Goodwin Unknown Solider SSWS or the Kanigher/Heath OAAWs from the early 70s are great places to start. Anything with a Sam Glanzman U.S.S. Stevens backup story goes to the top of the list.

Marc

I think the DC war and western books are consistently better written (or at least, more adult) than any other genre from the 1970s. They are fantastic. The DC war books from the 1960s are just as good (many say better) but I don't have any opinion on 60s DC westerns.

Reading the Enemy Ace SSWS or Archie Goodwin Unknown Solider SSWS or the Kanigher/Heath OAAWs from the early 70s are great places to start. Anything with a Sam Glanzman U.S.S. Stevens backup story goes to the top of the list.

Marc

With a few more issues as good as the ones I just read, I might move out of horror completely and into war. Any particularly good issues or runs? I like the late silver and early bronze stuff.

I will have to check that out. I might also just pick up all of his issues, no matter what series. Do you know if there is a checklist somewhere?

I'm not aware of a checklist, although there is a book called The Big Five by Chris Pedrin that details virtually all of DC's war output from the early 50s onwards. Motor City Comics had a stack of them (they bought out the remaindered copies), so give them a call.

As far as appearances, I think Enemy Ace was basically OAAW 151, 153, 155, Showcase 57, 58, and then SSWS 138 - 150, followed by the debut of the Unknown Soldier in 151 (who first appeared in OAAW 168). I don't think there were any further apperances in that era, except for Batman 219.

I will have to check that out. I might also just pick up all of his issues, no matter what series. Do you know if there is a checklist somewhere?

I'm not aware of a checklist, although there is a book called The Big Five by Chris Pedrin that details virtually all of DC's war output from the early 50s onwards. Motor City Comics had a stack of them (they bought out the remaindered copies), so give them a call.

As far as appearances, I think Enemy Ace was basically OAAW 151, 153, 155, Showcase 57, 58, and then SSWS 138 - 150, followed by the debut of the Unknown Soldier in 151 (who first appeared in OAAW 168). I don't think there were any further apperances in that era, except for Batman 219.

Thanks! That helps. I know about the Big Five book (my cousin belongs to the group that helped put it together), but I don't own a copy. I saw Motor City had a few at the last Chicago Comicfest, I will have to pick one up at the next one. It's nice to have discoved a genre with stories that don't appear to be as hit-or-miss as the rest of the stuff put out during that time period.

I'm a huge Enemy Ace fan as well-- great, great series, if just a bit formulaic after a while. (Doesn't he go hunting between dogfights in most every issue with his sole companion, the wolf?)

Other winners:

Unknown Soldier series in Star Spangled War 183-203 written by David Michelinie. Art is by Gerry Talaoc, who I never really liked on Phantom Stranger, but is well-suited to this strip.

The Losers strip in Our Fighting Forces 140 or so through 150. Killer John Severin art. Great backup strips commissioned by editor Archie Goodwin. The Alex Toth Flying Tigers short story "Burma Sky" is a well-remembered classic of the period.

I scanned in a couple of interior pages from the Kanigher/Severin Losers for another thread. Just to give you a feel for the strip

551054-off1.JPG

551883-off2.JPG